Band committment

dairyairman

Platinum Member
that guy is way out on a limb. you're already letting him use your drums for all practices and shows, then he walks out in the middle of a show? after a stunt like that i'd tell him don't bother coming back.

mrchattr

Gold Member
I mean, for it to be even remotely "acceptable", it would have to include something in the medical emergency realm, like if he got a text during the gig saying that his friend is at the hospital with only an hour left to live. THAT would be reason to bail on a gig, but I'd still question why he was reading texts during a gig and why he didn't quickly tell someone that he had to go.

Something like that aside, I wouldn't play with them ever again after this. Other people can severely ruin your band's reputation and employability with actions like this. Totally unacceptable!!! (previous exemption excluded, of course)
If a person leaves a show, or doesn't show up for a show, I am done with them. Honestly, even if I got a text or a message between sets saying that my mother was on her deathbed, I would still have no problem telling my bandmates why I left. It takes less than a second to say, "Gotta go emeregency sorry bye" as you run out. Even if I started bleeding from my eyes and had to run myself to the hospital, I would say to someone in the band, "I gotta go, medical emergency." There is no reason to just wander off.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I don't know yet, I guess I should have found out if he had a valid reason before I posted this.
I mean, for it to be even remotely "acceptable", it would have to include something in the medical emergency realm, like if he got a text during the gig saying that his friend is at the hospital with only an hour left to live. THAT would be reason to bail on a gig, but I'd still question why he was reading texts during a gig and why he didn't quickly tell someone that he had to go.

Something like that aside, I wouldn't play with them ever again after this. Other people can severely ruin your band's reputation and employability with actions like this. Totally unacceptable!!! (previous exemption excluded, of course)

harryconway

Platinum Member
I probably would never jam/gig with that cat again. For one thing, I think everyone should own their own instruments and have their own transportation. For someone to just "walk" from a gig, no explination. Unacceptable.

B

Big_Philly

It's one thing to be a little flaky, but walking out of a gig halfway through is pretty bad! I am also curious why he did such a thing.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Sounds pretty sketchy from the way you tell it. What's HIS perspective? Why did he leave?

It sounds like you're commited at least: bringing your guitar stuff AND drum kit to the gigs...I certainly wouldn't do that on a regular basis!

What are your thoughts about this situation.

I have been playing guitar instead of drums this year and our new drummer uses my kit because he doesn't have his own.
At the last gig he left halfway through the gig leaving me to play drums for the rest of the gig.

I haven't rehearsed on drums this year because I've been learning guitar parts.
Initially, I thought great! I get to play drums, but at the end of the night I was annoyed because I had to pack up the kit as well as my guitar gear and I didn't get to play the guitar parts I had practiced. The rest of the band thought it sounded fine.

The other drummer is a great guy and an adequate drummer but this is the first time in 25 years that a band member has left a gig that I,ve played at early.