'Backstairs Passage' and other place names.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I was travelling by ferry to my New Years gig and looked up the map to discover I was passing through 'Backstairs Passage' which struck me at the time as an odd name. Made me chuckle a bit, in a not so mature way.

This got me thinking about other place names, such as 'Freeman's Nob' just along the coast. These names must have made perfect sense to the 18th century explorers, but sound a tad silly these days.

Then I was reminded of some of the English villages I've visited, like Upper Slaughter and Lower Slaughter.

Any suggestions from your neck of the woods?

Attachments

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Pratt's Bottom is a local classic. A few years ago, a local weather reporter decided to put all of the slightly risqué names on the map rather than the usual, larger population centres.

Sadly, it would seem she got something of a telling off - but it was one of the funniest things I've seen. Nearly spit out my cereal.

Middle Wallop is another one. Nether Wallop is even better. I also drove through a village called Cockshutt recently that made me giggle so hard that I nearly had to pull over.

Finding some of these odd names might turn into something of a hobby...

Thunder 42

Silver Member
Bumpass, Virginia. Named after the prominent 19th C Bumpass family.

Tightsqeeze, down the road from Climax, Virginia

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Then there's the old chestnut, Intercourse Pennsylvania.

Bumpass? Like Bumpass' dogs in "The Christmas Story"?

Smoke

Silver Member
Then there's the old chestnut, Intercourse Pennsylvania.
Yes, Uncle Larry, but you forgot to mention that you can go from Blue Ball, PA to Intercourse, PA in about 17 minutes. If you had another 4 hours and 7 minutes, you could go all the way to Climax, PA - driving of course.

Paradise, MI to Hell, MI takes somewhat longer at just over 5 hours.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Then I was reminded of some of the English villages I've visited, like Upper Slaughter and Lower Slaughter.
Not so far from Guru Cottage :)

I have a friend called Caroline Bacon. She lives in Sandwich (Kent), but that's more of a coincidental funny.

This local village name causes some hilarity amongst the immature population (i.e. me)

Attachments

Stroman

Platinum Member
Not so far from Guru Cottage :)

I have a friend called Caroline Bacon. She lives in Sandwich (Kent), but that's more of a coincidental funny.

This local village name causes some hilarity amongst the immature population (i.e. me)
The Nags Head Inn at Boxbush!! lol (guess I'm part of the immature population, at least some of the time)

Stroman

Platinum Member
A personal favorite of mine is Gobbler's Knob. One in PA that I'm aware of, and a trail up Mount Rainier, too. :)

Ajax

Do Americans use the word "knob" as a euphemism, then? I thought it was a British-ism.