Auditioning just because

AirborneSFC

Gold Member
Anyone out there ever audition for bands just to stay relevant? I have been trying to expand my connections in the music scene here and I have lately thought about just auditioning in some of my spare time to get out there a little more. In a way I view it as keeping your "resume" up to date. Thoughts or advice on this?

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I do that when I have no band to jam with. I'll "audition" just for the sake of jamming with people. I do have an option to join if the band is really cool because, for the most part, in my mind, I am auditioning them as well. Another cool thing is you get a wide variety of style and meeting various people plus the first audition is always free because you aren't in the band. Doing this is much easier in LA where there are more bands than you can possibly audition for in a lifetime. I haven't had to do these auditions for a year and a half now, but I might moonlight and do this because I think it's fun jamming with lots of different people. I could go to jam nights at a bar but I don't like going to bars by myself, get on a list and drink expensive beer all night just to play 4 songs at the end of the night.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Me personally, I don't "audition" for a band if I have no real interest in joining. I might jam with some guys, and maybe something would happen. For me, "audition" means they're looking for someone, and if I don't want to be that someone, I don't want to waste their time.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I'm totally on the same page as Al. I hate having my time wasted and so in turn never set out to deliberately waste anyone else's time. I'll jam with anyone who'll have me. But actually auditioning as if I'm serious about joining when I'm not? Nah mate, audition implies that I'm here to apply and then work if I'm offered it......not an invite to a social gathering in order to expand my circle of friends. I reckon there's a danger that that's the sort of thing that'll get you the reputation of being a flake.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I have an issue with the "intent" side of this too, unless you're totally up front with the band first. A local reputation as a time waster can't be a good thing for you.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Reminds me of Edward Norton and the girl in Fight Club (crashing support groups).

Doesn't it feel awkward when you have to say you're not interested each time?

Something that I do to find local musicians is just post an ad in the classifieds saying I want to jam with a view to starting a band.

Last edited:

dazzlez

It's almost like if you guys who audition without intent to join having one night stands with people from a dating site for serious relationships. I don't see anything wrong here, you might fall in love while you are messing around ;)

BTW isn't it worse to join a band you ain't sure of and then leave after a few months just when the band is starting to glue together as one? That's what I call a timewaster.

If there is a tiny chance you might join, I say go for it. If there is 0 chance why do u even wanna jam with them?

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
I have never done this, but I am pretty sure it is very common. I have been in bands and had people show up to audition who it was obvious were not in it for the long haul. I consider my time very valuable, I am amazed at how many people are willing to waste it.

AirborneSFC

Gold Member
Everyone makes some great points and this is why this forum is gold.

1. I also feel that in most cases it has been me auditioning the band. When I first got stateside again most of the bands were not at a serious enough level.

2. I did make clear that I play with one main band and would not be leaving them.

3. Time is the most valuable asset and I do value everyone's. It would certainly be counter productive to waste anyone's time.

With these excellent pointers that each of you have brought up I will re work my classified ad a bit. My main band is at most playing 2 gigs a week. That leaves me some space to work a side project that is not as intensive and a different genre. What I failed to mention also is that my "day" job of working for the government has been sidelined until further notice. That is to say until our US elected officials learn to work together. This has made me want to pick up more gigs for extra money on the side. I will certainly make my ad much more clear about my intent.

Manny

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
It's almost like if you guys who audition without intent to join having one night stands with people from a dating site for serious relationships. I don't see anything wrong here, you might fall in love while you are messing around ;)

BTW isn't it worse to join a band you ain't sure of and then leave after a few months just when the band is starting to glue together as one? That's what I call a timewaster.

If there is a tiny chance you might join, I say go for it. If there is 0 chance why do u even wanna jam with them?
Well, ya, I mean I wouldn't jam with just anyone. I am auditioning them too. That would be wasting everybody's time, but people want to turn this into some ethical high ground dilemma...whatever.