Audio only snare drum comparison between...

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Heh, I would muffle or retune a drum ringing to the level of the Guru though that ring would largely disappear in your bands, probably only being noticed in sparse sections like in that great Piss Alley clip Michael W posted a few years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVySx-yzrB4

A flat, clean "session tone" in the verses of that tune would have lacked lack the spice of the ringy drum.

However, my band gets very quiet at times and a ringy snare can sound bizarre in context, so I put a small strip of Blue-Tak on the drum. I take the muffling off for songs where I want the extra tonal depth. Nice to have the option, which is the advantage of a highly resonant drum.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Yea, an unmuffled snare all by itself rings like crazy. But I like that tone because it makes for a lively snare sound in the audience when the rest of the band comes in. Even recorded I like some ring for the same reason. But ringy sounds natural to me and I prefer it because I'm unmiced nearly 100% of the time. Dead sounds OK, but it's not what I go for. Plus if I'm comparing snares, I can't muffle, so the ring has to be listened through in a way.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
True, you have to leave them open or equally dampened to compare them. It makes clear just how resonant Gurus are, though it didn't sound like the ones in Andy's clips.

My point was that, with the Mabels veering from Baby Just Cares for Me and The Look of Love to White Room and Little Wing, I need a range of sounds. Muffling on for the soul and pop songs, playing open on rock tunes and on and songs with brushes or snares off.

The Guru works for me because I can have as much resonance as I want when I need it. I like having the option.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
My Guru snare doesn't sound like Andy's clips, true. It's no secret that a drum can make all kinds of different tones. I just tune mine different than what Andy does, so naturally they aren't going to sound the same. Andy's vids have one thing in common, he tunes all the drums. So when you get a guy like me in there, I'm going to tune how I like it. And a different tone will emerge. That's a good thing.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
My Guru snare doesn't sound like Andy's clips, true. It's no secret that a drum can make all kinds of different tones. I just tune mine different than what Andy does, so naturally they aren't going to sound the same. Andy's vids have one thing in common, he tunes all the drums. So when you get a guy like me in there, I'm going to tune how I like it. And a different tone will emerge. That's a good thing.
Absolutely true Larry, plus you use a twin ply batter head, whereas I always record/demonstrate with a single ply head.