Attractive female drummers

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
But why are most people unattractive? I don't have any problems with looking at someone who doesn't take care of themselves and saying that is unattractive, and I don't care to watch or listen.

I remember seeing a string quartet, and I couldn't help but thinking, would it really hurt to get a little exercise in? The thing is, it comes out in the playing, you could hear in their music how they had figured out to but least amount of physical effort into playing, they barely used a third of the bow, so they wouldn't have to move their arm too much to change strings.

opentune

Platinum Member
Yeah, I know, this is nothing new, and sure, I'm jealous, but here's a statement and a question.
By chance, are you female, and/or not good-looking and/or not a good drummer?

Are we going to measure the world in Youtube likes? If so, we are deeply in trouble.

And if you are not a woman, ask one and she will likely tell you good looks differ from attractive, and attractive is the whole deal.

Otto

Platinum Member
The question isn't why popularity might be high for others...the question is "what is my appraisal ".

I have respect for the mentioned drummers product....but i am not impressed by the drumming.(I will NOT go into detail as it is not appropriate to this thread).

We can discuss ourselves blue in the face trying to fathom the charactaristics of popularity, but in the end most of the relevant markers are purely marketing....$ spent on marketing....this is not a complex feature of the industry.

..and we all know $ tries to reproduce on features that can be predicted to give high % of success...hence sex appeal being used to attract a potentially paying audience....a limted effective strategy in my opinion - showing the infantile mentality accompanying $.

MPortnoy

If we were to measure music based on Youtube statistics then it would mean that PSY and Justin Bieber are the greatest of all time........so, you want to continue talking about youtube???

311Spider

So what if they get "millions of hits"? We're all smart enough to realize that it's not because of their playing if they're not that good. And I bet they know it, too.
That's part of the problem - I don't think they know it. A lot of musicians, both male and female, if they're good looking or popular for some other reason, will usually have lots of people (friends and relatives) kissing and blowing smoke up their @ss, telling them they are good, when they aren't. But they will believe everyone and think they're good. And then they'll go on American Idol and be in complete shock when they learn the reality that they suck.

As for Emmanuelle, like I said she's a great drummer, but there's really nothing special about her playing IMO. What makes her special and stand out, aside from her looks, is her personality. I have a hunch if she were a male with the same personality and drumming skill none of us would have any clue who she is.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
If I had the ability to hire Emmanuelle or Hannah Ford or Meytal Cohen for a tour I would do it in a heartbeat. Live music is a show, the goal is to get people into the show and entertain them. Getting beautiful people on the stage helps. Bringing in polarizing people get butts into seats. There may be a few who get more pub than their talent would dictate, but those are few and far between and are definitely the exception rather than the rule.

MPortnoy

That's part of the problem - I don't think they know it. A lot of musicians, both male and female, if they're good looking or popular for some other reason, will usually have lots of people (friends and relatives) kissing and blowing smoke up their @ss, telling them they are good, when they aren't. But they will believe everyone and think they're good. And then they'll go on American Idol and be in complete shock when they learn the reality that they suck.

As for Emmanuelle, like I said she's a great drummer, but there's really nothing special about her playing IMO. What makes her special and stand out, aside from her looks, is her personality. I have a hunch if she were a male with the same personality and drumming skill none of us would have any clue who she is.
And that makes it your problem why exactly???

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I think you've got the jealousy blinders on. Caplette is one of the few big female drummers out there who really does have a lot of ability. She gives clinics and is a rather accomplished marching snare drummer. Just watching one of the videos will show right away that she has great technique and more importantly, knows how to make music feel good.

I'd rather listen to her playing the drums than Tom Pridgen wank away with the 32nd notes all day long. That's right, I said listen. It still sounds great even without looking at the drummer, attractive or not.

DancingMadlyBackwards

Live music is a show, the goal is to get people into the show and entertain them. Getting beautiful people on the stage helps. Bringing in polarizing people get butts into seats.
Yep...these are the truths and the reality. In the biggest markets where the most masses of pop culture music consuming fans exist, it is an exercise in culture and marketing. That is what it is. The offering faction *is* going to do everything possible to maximize profit and looks/beauty/style/fashion is part of the equation. It is what it is.

311Spider

I'd rather listen to her playing the drums than Tom Pridgen wank away with the 32nd notes all day long. That's right, I said listen. It still sounds great even without looking at the drummer, attractive or not.
Me too. She plays cleanly and fluidly. She displays a level of playing that seems quite attainable for most half-way decent drummers - so she's more inspirational than a Pridgen or any other 32nd note chop master.

311Spider

If we were to measure music based on Youtube statistics then it would mean that PSY and Justin Bieber are the greatest of all time........so, you want to continue talking about youtube???
Everyone keeps discounting the value of youtube. As a matter of fact Justin Bieber got his break from youtube videos that he and his mom uploaded. Youtube has made many anonymous people rich and famous. So, there's something to be said about a performer, specifically a drummer, who can get 1 million plus hits on a youtube video of them playing to some lame cover song. Will they become a famous drummer because of it? Probably not, but if they are smart and can find a way to leverage their youtube popularity it could help them find a high level of (at least) local success that their peers will struggle to find. Just look at that crazy drum stick twirling drummer playing to zztop that had millions of views of his video. I don't think he's a national success, but if he's not charging a very high premium for every gig he plays then he's crazy. Am I wrong???

coolhand1969

I got interested in Hanna Ford from some stuff on this site and then because she is from KY where I am. I saw some OK pics of her, but started searching around for more of her material and info on her. Girl or not she has won some prestigious honors for her playing. She stays busy doing different projects from jazz, which seems to be her first love, to rock (If Prince thinks you are good enough to be his drummer, that says volumes).

Yes, later on I saw some publicity photos of her, where it seemed she was selling a little sexiness. Fine with me, this is a rough business, you sometimes have to play the game, or maybe she enjoyed doing some modeling, who cares? She is a solid drummer and deserves respect no matter her looks.

What, Bon Jovi did not sell a few extra records because of his hair? Come on.

I do not teach right now, but if a parent came to me with a daughter who wanted to learn, I would jump at the opportunity. The world could use more female drummers. It would make the forum more interesting!!

Souljacker

Silver Member
Curious as to why you use Emanuelle as an example. She isn't overt in flaunting her sexuality, unlike some other female drummers. She let's her drumming speak for itself.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Emannuelle Caplette is a fantastic drummer who plays beautifully. That would stand out equally on an audio-only recording as on a video where you can see who's playing.

There are other female drummers out there who do overemphasise their appearance over their technical ability, but it's not all that different to people overemphasising stick tricks over playing. This is entertainment so really it's all valid, but at the end of the day if you want a drumming job you're going to have to be good at playing the drums. Getting attention is only the first step, unless that's the entire basis of your business.

311Spider

Curious as to why you use Emanuelle as an example. She isn't overt in flaunting her sexuality, unlike some other female drummers. She let's her drumming speak for itself.
I was on this site one day when her videos first appeared on here, and I thought, "hey, a hot chick drummer, I've got to check this out." I checked it out, liked her drumming and decided to seek out more of her videos. And no, she isn't the flaunting type, but she is cute and I think that is not trivial to how she got to be where she is today.

MPortnoy

Everyone keeps discounting the value of youtube. As a matter of fact Justin Bieber got his break from youtube videos that he and his mom uploaded. Youtube has made many anonymous people rich and famous. So, there's something to be said about a performer, specifically a drummer, who can get 1 million plus hits on a youtube video of them playing to some lame cover song. Will they become a famous drummer because of it? Probably not, but if they are smart and can find a way to leverage their youtube popularity it could help them find a high level of (at least) local success that their peers will struggle to find. Just look at that crazy drum stick twirling drummer playing to zztop that had millions of views of his video. I don't think he's a national success, but if he's not charging a very high premium for every gig he plays then he's crazy. Am I wrong???
You're not wrong and I'm not saying youtube is useless, I personally have drum cover videos uploaded in youtube and have been asked a couple of times to join some projects because of my videos, so I'm not discounting the value of it, what I'm saying is that music proficiency is not measured in the amount of youtube likes.

If you think you have what it takes, then upload your videos and see what happens, but what does all that have to do with the fact that some female drummers have more or less likes??? Why does that have to be a problem for you??
I've seen videos of some of those female drummers mentioned above and their technique didn't appear like magic just because they're pretty, trust me.