Attaching a DW Dog Bone to a Floor Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdrums73

Hi Everyone...

In the never-ending attempt to minimize the amount of crap I bring to a gig.... I of course have been tinkering with my setup. I am having an issue of how to mount my china without having to bring another stand. I have tried all my clamps/attachments but none will place the china where i want it. I was contemplating using a DW Dog Bone with a cymbal holder and mounting it to my DW Floor Tom Leg. Has anyone done this?

I am concerned about putting that much strain on the Floor Tom Mount as I do not want it to weaken or worse off break the wood. The china is an 18" Paiste Signature Thin China, so it is not that heavy....but it still concerns me....

Any feedback is appreciated....

TTNW

Pioneer Member
I have not used a DW Dogbone clamp accessory but as long as the receiver will tighten to the floor tom leg and you have the correct length arm, then it will not put any extra weight on your floor tom bracket at all. All of the additional weight will be on the leg, which is not a problem. The leg diameter is smaller than the diameter of a typical boom arm so make sure the dogbone will work with the floor tom leg.

If DW doesn't have what you need, check out Gibraltar. They have tons of great hardware options.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I think the leg itself would be too thin to attach a dogbone to. You would have to somehow devise something that would take up the extra space. I think it's a bad idea though, because the cymbal arm would basically be a lever, and every time you hit it, it would put too much strain, IMO, on the floor tom leg bracket, and in turn, your wood drum shell. Your force is coming in from the side, and would torque the tom leg bracket I would think. I wouldn't do it to my kit, and I'm the first one to mod stuff.

Maybe try this. Dog bone off of a cymbal stand, to a piece of 3/4 inch pipe, that you would buy at a big box home improvement store. I'm thinking a 3/4 x 4" pipe nipple found in the plumbing section. They're cheap. After you clamp the first dogbone, one end to a cymbal stand, the other end to the pipe, a 4" pipe nipple will leave just enough area to clamp another dogbone to, hiding the pipe. You can do that as many times as you need to clear the cymbal, then attach the cymbal arm. That way the torque will not pass through your drum shell.

Or just get another cymbal stand lol.

opentune

Platinum Member
Sounds like a bad idea. Stress is transferred from weight and impact on the cymbal to the dogbone, down to the wood of your tom.
A simple stand is only about 5lbs, so not much more to bring.
But I hear you about simplicity and less stuff. Are you running a 4 piece drumkit? If so I can't see why you can't run a china off one arm of a boom stand, and say your ride off an opposing second arm, all rooted to the one good double-braced stand. Maybe you mount your china really high.

evilg99

Platinum Member
I've done this with both a puppy bone and a dog bone.
I thought the floor tom leg would be too thin but it worked fine on both my Yamaha MCANs and my DW kits.

It works especially well on a DW ft leg because those are the same diameter as the cymbal booms that the dog bones are made to latch onto.

Obviousy, the puppy bone doesn't get the cymbal very high above the rim cause it's so short. Dog bone will be fine, especially if you like to mount your china low, under the ride on the right.

DW member Karl Crafton also does this on his Ludwig kits although I'm not sure if he 'rolled his own' cymbal mounts or uses DW dog bones, but he does mount cymbals on the floor tom legs.
Maybe he'll pipe in here if we call him.....Kaaaaaarrrrrrrlllllll!!!!!!!!!

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I used the Puppy Bone, took off the one end, and attached the adjustable Dog Bone to it to mount the cymbal(s) off the legs.

I did customize the pieces to suit me, but it can be done "as is" (the way they come).

I like the Puppy Bone because it's easy to get the piece on and off the leg with the black handle, and it clamps very securely.

The cool thing about the Puppy Bone is, you can pop off the "head" and get 2 pieces out of one PB. Just epoxy a piece of 1/2" boom arm into the other part the length you want, and you're set.

I used Devcon 2 ton epoxy on anything I've made in the last 8-10 years. Hasn't ever failed, and I don't have to baby anything.

To be sure, and safe, I reinforced the brackets inside (with bigger washers) that I was mounting anything off of. Shells are strong anyway, and unless they're sh*t, they aren't going to get ruined.

I've done this off and on for years and years, with no adverse effects to anything. Doesn't affect the sound either.

I made my own Gibraltar versions of DW parts on occasion too. The one on the far right is a PB, and the BD is attached to it vertically.

I have a friend that does this with many pieces on his kit. He was in heaven when the Dog and Puppy Bones came out.

He finally put a floor tom on his left side (after I had been telling him to do it for the last 5 years) and clamps cymbals of of it too, so he barely uses stands on his kits.

evilg99

Platinum Member
I used the Puppy Bone, took off the one end, and attached the adjustable Dog Bone to it to mount the cymbal(s) off the legs.

I did customize the pieces to suit me, but it can be done "as is" (the way they come).

I like the Puppy Bone because it's easy to get the piece on and off the leg with the black handle, and it clamps very securely.

The cool thing about the Puppy Bone is, you can pop off the "head" and get 2 pieces out of one PB. Just epoxy a piece of 1/2" boom arm into the other part the length you want, and you're set.

I used Devcon 2 ton epoxy on anything I've made in the last 8-10 years. Hasn't ever failed, and I don't have to baby anything.

To be sure, and safe, I reinforced the brackets inside (with bigger washers) that I was mounting anything off of. Shells are strong anyway, and unless they're sh*t, they aren't going to get ruined.

I've done this off and on for years and years, with no adverse effects to anything. Doesn't affect the sound either.

I made my own Gibraltar versions of DW parts on occasion too. The one on the far right is a PB, and the BD is attached to it vertically.

I have a friend that does this with many pieces on his kit. He was in heaven when the Dog and Puppy Bones came out.

He finally put a floor tom on his left side (after I had been telling him to do it for the last 5 years) and clamps cymbals of of it too, so he barely uses stands on his kits.
Great job there, thanks Karl. Some ingenious mechanical thinking.
I like to come up with contraptions like this that work.
I often go into "zen hardware lab" mode, and can spending hours tinkering around with stuff like this.

Neal

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I know the feeling :)

For a few years, I built a whole bunch of stuff. It's very fun!
Haven't done that in a while.

I did go into "gotta have it", and major "plotting" mode when I found deep and tall enough portable shelves to fit a 16x18 floor tom, with a 14x16 next to it though!

Big FT's on bottom, with the 3rd 16 FT and the 12 & 13" toms (on their sides) in the middle shelves. Bass drum on top.
I put 2 units side by side and got 3 bass drums all on the top (2 20x26's and a 16x26).
The third unit in the row has the hardware I use for 3 different bands on it ready to go with 2 more ft's on the bottom.
There is a 3 kit rotation for various bands, so having everything fit, and available this organized is really great.

I bought 3 (4 shelf) units.
The whole shelf set up was actually too tall. The way I did it worked out awesome and I got 4 2 tier shelves out of it. Three are in the main part of the basement.
The fourth one is in my side room with all my "not used as much" cymbal/snare/hat stands. That unit got rid of two big "tubs" that took up 3 times the room!
The snares, a few more drums, and gear were already in that room on a wall mounted shelf.

evilg99

Platinum Member
That sounds really cool. Funny I was just cleaning up my 'tool room' trying to clear out room for storing some shelves myself. My wife is fine with all the drums 'round here, as long as they are neatly organized and stored just like you described.
I'm having a hard time with the hardware organization at the moment.

Neal

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
That sounds really cool. Funny I was just cleaning up my 'tool room' trying to clear out room for storing some shelves myself. My wife is fine with all the drums 'round here, as long as they are neatly organized and stored just like you described.
I'm having a hard time with the hardware organization at the moment.

Neal
I got the shelves at Walmart. I believe they are 24" deep, 18" tall, and probably 36" long or more.
It was $39.99 for a unit.
Nice being so long because I don't have to break down the stands much. Being 24" wide, it handles a bunch of stands next to each other so they aren't all staked up.

Hooray for Dog and Puppy bones! Back on topic haha!

Jdrums73

Thanks for all the feedback....

I have attached the dog bones to the floor tom leg already. When i put the China on it even with just some minimal movement (without) hitting it i noticed movement in the floor tom mount. It is slight but it is there. I know that with some good wacks at the China live it is going to shift, there is no way that it can't. The issue is not about whether the leg can withstand it or if the dog bone will attach to it. It does without an issue. The loegs are so heavy and strong that i have no concerns about it taking the weight. The only concern is the mount and the stress on the wood shell.

The latest configuration has the Tom, a crash and the ride all on one stand. The BD is a virgin so there is no mounting the toms on that. All the clamps that i have and are out there wont position the china far enough to clear the ride either on top or bottom. If the Tom wasn't attached to that stand, i could easily just shift everything on the stand and move the stand over but that Tom prevents that. It looks like i may just have to use one of my stands to hold the china...or go back to putting both Toms on a double tom stand and putting that to the side of the BD..

Thanks again for all the feedback

Attachments

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Looks cool, sweet finish!

I'd just add some bigger washers inside to reinforce that spot. Then you'd be all set.
Bigger washers will keep that area supported just fine.

If you'd be worried about marks in the wood, a piece of felt or a fiber washer between the metal one and the wood will keep it clean, but solid.

You can always go with the stand option.

I'd just do which ever is easier to deal with in a set up/tear down situation.
If it's a "stays home" kit anything goes....

Regardless, you gotta do whatever makes you feel more comfortable with the shell.

Have fun with that kit!

Status
Not open for further replies.