Are suspension mounts on their way out?

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
If drummers prefer kick mounted toms then it begs the question are all these drummers abnormally tall with tremendous reach? Bo has tried to explain this to me from an engineering standpoint but I still fail to understand why manufacturers seem to place the mounting systems away from the batter side, close within most people's arm length, and toward the resonant side of the kick drum.
BD tom mounts are usually placed above (or very close to above) the BD spurs for obvious reasons. I have slide track mounts and have played with two toms over the batter hoop, weight is also supported by the the pedal/hoop connection at the floor.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I have a couple of suspension mounted floor toms and they're pretty cool but they're exactly the same as ordinary floor toms so I can't see the point really.

I like to mount my rack tom on a snare stand, it's comfortable and easily adjustable. I love the old Premier and Tama tom mounts, no fuss and easily adjustable.

With a lot of drum companies leaning towards retro look and sound and the hardware reflects this, the suspension mounts are taking a back burner at the moment.

Axe

I like the design on my Armorys, but really any design where the mount doesn't get in the way of head changes is fine by me.

Does Pearl still use that god-awful contraption that makes toms look like marching snares? Possibly the ugliest iso mount ever.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
I would say suspension mounts are here to stay for the foreseeable future. Just because Inde created a lightweight, non-solid mount that is attached directly to the shell is not evidence that the suspension mount idea within all of drum manufacturing is fading away. The typical Rims mounting system, with it attaching to 4 tension rods, may be slowly fading away. That to me is a good thing. Many people have complained that those types of mounts make rack tom spacing too wide. The manufacturers have listened and are moving to a 2 tension rod with a bumper or 2 lug mounted design. Now the drums can fit tighter and they still resonate nicely. Plus they are less bulky looking.

I like the Inde tom mount because it is small and is tuneable to the specific tom it is attached to. I also like the suspension mounts that Gretsch uses on their Renown series and the Yamaha YESS III mounts. But in reality, I have never had problems with my Catalina's tom suspension, my Collectors suspension bands or my Saturn's more solid "under the lug" mounts.

sciomako

Silver Member
I recently acquired a junk 12/13/16/22 kit on ebay and converted it into 12/13/16 bop kit. The 13" rack tom becomes the floor tom. The first time I set everything up and tried the 13", I was in horror. It sounded like hitting a cardboard. I realised I got no resonance from the shell. I fired up google and search for "my floor tom sounded dead" and found out the legs (on hard floor) were the culprit! The proof is, if I lifted the drum from the floor, it sang again. I ended up getting a set of those Pearl "air suspension legs".

I guess part of the problem is the hard floor and other part is the drums are just crap low density shells which don't have much resonance to start with.

But it begs the question: what about the bass drum? Aren't we losing a lot of nice resonance when it is not supsended in some way??

Wave Deckel

Gold Member
What do you think, is the purpose of bassdrumspurs? Right,... lifting the bassdrumshell from the floor so it can resonate better.

T_Weaves

Silver Member
I recently acquired a junk 12/13/16/22 kit on ebay and converted it into 12/13/16 bop kit. The 13" rack tom becomes the floor tom. The first time I set everything up and tried the 13", I was in horror. It sounded like hitting a cardboard. I realised I got no resonance from the shell. I fired up google and search for "my floor tom sounded dead" and found out the legs (on hard floor) were the culprit! The proof is, if I lifted the drum from the floor, it sang again. I ended up getting a set of those Pearl "air suspension legs".

I guess part of the problem is the hard floor and other part is the drums are just crap low density shells which don't have much resonance to start with.

But it begs the question: what about the bass drum? Aren't we losing a lot of nice resonance when it is not supsended in some way??
There are also some pedals out there that have platforms which allow for some lift to batter side hoop of the bass drum. Mapex Falcon PF1000 is an example. What with the spurs, as mentioned above, and the Falcons, no parts of the underside of my bass drums touch the floor. So there are ways to suspend the bass drum too.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
What do you think, is the purpose of bassdrumspurs? Right,... lifting the bassdrumshell from the floor so it can resonate better.
I just thought they were there to keep the bottom of the kick from hitting the floor, to keep the drum from rolling over, and to keep it from sliding. I didn't know resonance played a part as well. I've never really thought about it because mine has always been muffled.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Not on the way out, but they are now just an option and there are other ways to influence resonace.

Since the Gretsch news is out, it is interesting that eg. Vinnie has chosen to go without suspension both on the Ludwigs he used, his new white Jasper kit as well as the refinished blue one.

You can always "improve" on things theoretically. What feels good to you, works for you and is exactly what you want is a completely different matter.

There is no better. There is only right for you.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
Yamaha has a bass drum riser they sell:

I'm sure there are other companies that do this as well, but speaking from experience playing the new Recording Custom with this little riser, it did open up the bass drum a bit more than a regular drum on the floor. I wouldn't install anything like this on a 22" or 24" bass drum though. I'm already running muffled heads on the batter and reso sides and I'm thinking of adding a pillow to one of my deep bass drums. So I don't need a more open bass drum.