Are Drummers (Generally) Crazy?

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
I don't know about any of you, but I feel that one of the best places to practice is while taking a dump. There is so much enjoyable time used while dumping why can't it be just a little bit more enjoyable by having a kit in the bathroom? Whenever I listen to music whilst there, I always air-drum, but real drumming would be awesomer. Like this guy:

... slightly derailing this thread... (that's crazy isnt't it?)

This pic feature a right handed setup but being played open handed with a trad grip on the right hand... now to me, this feels crazy :)

... I don't practice in the toilet/bathroom, it's where I read... haha.

PS: The guy look like Keith Carlock :))

TColumbia37

Silver Member
I don't know about any of you, but I feel that one of the best places to practice is while taking a dump. There is so much enjoyable time used while dumping why can't it be just a little bit more enjoyable by having a kit in the bathroom? Whenever I listen to music whilst there, I always air-drum, but real drumming would be awesomer. Like this guy:

Now, THAT is a man who has achieved true and total happiness.

rdb

I'm thinking about the work that went into setting up that shot. I mean, it looks like the only door is behind the kit, so he had to get in there first and then either drag the kit in himself or have a buddy do it.

JasperGTR

I'm thinking about the work that went into setting up that shot. I mean, it looks like the only door is behind the kit, so he had to get in there first and then either drag the kit in himself or have a buddy do it.
Dedication..........

drstrangefunk

looks like a bathroom stall. he went in. buddy pushed the bass drum in. then handed him cymbals and accoutrements over the top (or bottom sides) and once it was set up as best as possible, buddy took the shot from the the next stall by hanging over the top.

how big do you think the bass drum is ?

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member

Too small... I mean, who wants to do a load-in every time you need to get a loaf-out?

Mark_S

Silver Member
I'm a bit of a contradiction. I might be a little crazy, though "quietly crazy". Not all drummers are extroverts; I'm a little shy off stage.

I'm a quiet and very analytical Software Engineer, yet I play the drums in rock bands, but also play the violin (badly), and piano (very badly) and love classical music. It is comical sometimes walking into my tiny music room with a big drum kit rammed into it and a little violin sitting next to it. I love speed (not the drug), and women (probably the Italian in me), though at 35 I've learned to control myself and I'm a lot more sensible in those respects than I used to be. Maybe its the mix of Italian and English blood!

I guess I've done a lot of things that some would not consider sensible (some of which I won't go into!). None of this is particularly "exciting" crazy, but:

Back when I started uni in 1996 I spent all of my grant money on a drum kit and then had barely anything to live on after that. That trend continued for over 10 years, buying gear that got me more and more into debt. I've thankfully got myself out of debt now, but it wasn't until I was £40K in debt that I decided to do something about it.

I've carted around gear that costs more than the car to gigs that pays next to nothing, or nothing in fact, as I'm sure we all have. It's amazing what you can fit into a Peugeot 205.

Many years ago for a friends wedding gig I wanted my drums to sound as good as possible, so the day before I decided it'd be a good idea to buy a mixer off of eBay for my new mics and drive over 100 miles and back to pick it up. I also decided this would be a good idea to try out my new RIM mounts, so spent hours fitting them and retuning the kit at the venue the night before. By the time of the gig the next day I was so tired I needed red bull to keep me awake and felt drunk. I have no idea how my drums sounded.

I sometimes in my head dare myself to play something I'll probably mess up on stage.

I do a 230 mile round trip every 2 weeks for my 1 hour drum lesson. I get funny looks when I tell people that.

I'm definitely the odd one out in my family (both sides of it).

Last edited:

Mark_S

Silver Member
I've recently come to the disturbing realisation that I'm one of the least bizarre people in my band. On our recent UK tour, this extracurricular music video happened. I feel like I have some catching up to do.
That's the most disturbing video I've seen for some time! Haha.

Your credentials are already well established Ben.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHnkToFAlCc
I was drinking my morning tea when I put this on. Very funny stuff, especially for a tea addict :)