Aquarian Aquarian Tru-Bounce VS the Real feel

Overg

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a new practice pad, as I got sick of my over bouncy drum pad.
After little research I came down to this two: the tru-bounce and Real feel.

I searched for the Aquarian in local stores to check how it feels, and could not find it , so I will have to order online, I wanted to ask how is it?
Is it noisy ? is it like the "other" side of the usual practice pad, where one side is rubber, and the" other "side is more noisy less reboundy, and more of a wood sound ?

Thanks

(the thing I like in the Real feel is that it's very quite practice pad.)

Chazz

I own them both...
I favor the Tru-Bounce over the reel feel but that's me..
also my Tru-Bounce is Louder than any of my real feel pads!
But... Now I really like the Ludwig/Pat Petrillo P4 Pad
with 4 playing surfaces & sounds..very cool & fun!
I recommend it!

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Can't speak for the Aquarian as I've never seen it in Oz, let alone played on the thing. But the two pads look remarkably similar to me.

I can however, speak for the Real Feel. I have two, the 12" and the 6". Great pads. I've not found a quiter pad to date. The 6" can move around a bit due to its light weight. But I highly recommend them.....buy with confidence.

I do like the look of Pat's P4 pad by Ludwig too. They are not available here unfortunately, but it may also be well worth a look.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Well I undersatnd that the real feel is very good, but isn't it over bouncy as well?
I am yet to find a practice pad that exactly replicates a snare drum or tom head. But in the 25 odd years I've been playing on pads, the Real Feel are the best I've come across. Personally, I wouldn't say they are too bouncy, but then again I wouldn't say they feel just like a snare drum either, But I do know this.......I'd rather play on the gum rubber pads (whether it be Real Fell or Tru-Bounce) as opposed to the old black hard rubber things I first started on.....and certainly as opposed to nothing at all.

Overg

I am yet to find a practice pad that exactly replicates a snare drum or tom head. But in the 25 odd years I've been playing on pads, the Real Feel are the best I've come across. Personally, I wouldn't say they are too bouncy, but then again I wouldn't say they feel just like a snare drum either, But I do know this.......I'd rather play on the gum rubber pads (whether it be Real Fell or Tru-Bounce) as opposed to the old black hard rubber things I first started on.....and certainly as opposed to nothing at all.
Well is it the HQ real feel ?
because I don't see any "only" real feel name on ebay.

Overg

Dude, you should have ordered the Petrillo P4 by Ludwig, It's got a real soft /quite surface, PLUS 3 others as well! It's the only pad I use now, the others aren;t as versatile. It's worth the extra coin..and not that much more, eother!

I got mine here..

http://www.justdrumsonline.com/store/pc-3851-79-pat-petrillo-p4-practice-pad.aspx
I checked it on YouTube, to tell u the truth, I didn't like it all,
first the price ( but this is my last concern here)
second the size, very big heavy
third, most of the surfaces are small, and the one which have nice size are very noisy.
I think that a pad should be used for rudiments and concetration on the hand, u can't mimick the drum feel, nor movment around it by adding few more rubber types in diffrent hight..
So for this type of mission, one single 6" pad is way enough

jasonrhcp

Cool...Glad you got what you needed..

not sure how you can tell it's heavy from a video..but...FWIW, it's the same size as as my Real feel, but is actually lighter by a little..the 2 middle pads measure 5"..and it does help me with movement and coordination...gotta play one to really know the difference..

happy practice!

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
and it does help me with movement and coordination...gotta play one to really know the difference..
This is the most appealing thing about the P4 for mine. It certainly looks like it gives that feeling of separating your hands as per on a kit. I've not played it, so have no real idea......but I'd like to give it a go and find out for myself.

Wake up to yourselves Ludwig and distribute the bloody thing in Oz!!

Pat Petrillo

Silver Member
Hi guys

Just wanted to "chime in" on the P4..Thanks for all the positive feedback!

Jason, glad you dig it so much...

Hi Pocket!...I think if you reach out to a dealer in OZ who sells Ludwig, ask them about getting it in...ANY LUDWIG dealer can get it, it;s up to the store to ORDER it!

Maybe also email Ludwig on their site and ask...

www.ludwig-drums.com

PM me for more details
Pat

Overg

This is the most appealing thing about the P4 for mine. It certainly looks like it gives that feeling of separating your hands as per on a kit. I've not played it, so have no real idea......but I'd like to give it a go and find out for myself.

Wake up to yourselves Ludwig and distribute the bloody thing in Oz!!
Well it will be nice to try it, that for sure, but then again countless times i used to put pillow or other stuff near my pad in order to mimic drums, it is nice but it's not the real deal.
So today I just use the pad.

Bart Elliott

DW PRO DRUMMER
Here's my video review of the Aquarian Tru-Bounce Practice Pad from August 2008.

http://www.drummercafe.com/reviews/gear/aquarian-tru-bounce-practice-pad.html

In this review I compare the Tru-Bounce with the Real Feel pad; you can see/hear the difference.

Every practice pad has it's own unique qualities. If you are looking for a pad that feels and reacts a lot like a Snare drum, I think you'll dig the Tru-Bounce. Another pad I've tried in the last few months is the Vic Firth Stockpad. It feels good and gives a lot of rebound, although it doesn't have the pitch and feel differentiations like the Tru-Bounce. Pat Petrillo's P4 is also cool in that you've got four difference surfaces to work with ... great for multiple percussion type practice and drumset simulations.

Like I said, each pad has its own unique qualities. I have a lot of different pads, and I choose the pad based on what I'm wanting to work on at the time.

Overg

Here's my video review of the Aquarian Tru-Bounce Practice Pad from August 2008.

http://www.drummercafe.com/reviews/gear/aquarian-tru-bounce-practice-pad.html

In this review I compare the Tru-Bounce with the Real Feel pad; you can see/hear the difference.

Every practice pad has it's own unique qualities. If you are looking for a pad that feels and reacts a lot like a Snare drum, I think you'll dig the Tru-Bounce. Another pad I've tried in the last few months is the Vic Firth Stockpad. It feels good and gives a lot of rebound, although it doesn't have the pitch and feel differentiations like the Tru-Bounce. Pat Petrillo's P4 is also cool in that you've got four difference surfaces to work with ... great for multiple percussion type practice and drumset simulations.

Like I said, each pad has its own unique qualities. I have a lot of different pads, and I choose the pad based on what I'm wanting to work on at the time.
Nice review!
But I have to say that I didn't see the real feel pad there ..
I am talking on the HQ one.

N

nhzoso

Hey guys, I have always wondered how playing on a real snare drum with a silence pad on it would feel compared to a pad? Anyone tried this? I am sure there are different silence/muffle pads out there so any idea which ones are best for real feel and quietness?

BTW I have the vic Firth version of the real feel, and I bought a crappy snare stand on Craigslist for $15 and have the pad on it but it is a little too bounce on both sides.

Overg

Hey guys, I have always wondered how playing on a real snare drum with a silence pad on it would feel compared to a pad? Anyone tried this? I am sure there are different silence/muffle pads out there so any idea which ones are best for real feel and quietness?

BTW I have the vic Firth version of the real feel, and I bought a crappy snare stand on Craigslist for $15 and have the pad on it but it is a little too bounce on both sides.
yes I have silencer pads on my drum set, it is nice, not equal to a pad, as the silencer tend to stop the bounce.