Anyone used(d) Stick Gripps?

newoldie

Silver Member
I checked out some sticks at GC the other day that had these gripps on them and was pleasantly surprised how comfortable they felt.
I don't know if they might be a bit tough to use on sticks for a complete gig, but in the store they seemed non- chaffing.

I've found for the past few years that my grip and technique benefits from using paraffin wax (use True Value blocks) lightly rubbed onto the sticks' surfaces where I grip, so the Stick Gripps seem to offer an alternative that wouldn't require constant re-waxing. $8 for a pair at GC is worth a trial run in my case.

But a GC review said while the product worked, they were difficult to heat-shrink onto the sticks (as their video demo shows for installation). I don't have a heat gun, just a hair blower that won't be hot enough, so I'm wondering if anyone was able to successfully install them and if they liked them over a period of time.

mike d

Silver Member
I've tried those before, but I prefer Pro Mark Stick Rapp. It just has a tad more stickiness and damping to me, and it's reusable (at least once).

Old Dog new Cans

I currently have a wrap by AHEAD that I use. . .it's okay. However, if you mess up wrapping, it doesn't look great if you try and re-do it. I do like the feel of the grips though.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
I have used the Ahead tape, and tried dips. I prefer plain wood. I once used some REALLY grippy dips. I think they were Zildjians. WOW did I have torn up hands after. The skin was missing from where the blisters were. It was brutal.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have used, and posted a product called Plastic-Dip, normally used for tool handles, and it worked fine. It can be thinned and I recommend that it be, and is very easy to use. Took forever to wear off and caused no blisters or hand problems.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I have used the Ahead tape, and tried dips. I prefer plain wood. I once used some REALLY grippy dips. I think they were Zildjians. WOW did I have torn up hands after. The skin was missing from where the blisters were. It was brutal.
Those are Zildjian DIP drumsticks. I bought a few pairs many years ago. They didn't last because my fingers didn't last either. Blister city man, gahhh.

I like Pro Mark Stick Rapp, and I like the Vater version even better. I'm staying with those.

Peedy

Those are Zildjian DIP drumsticks. I bought a few pairs many years ago. They didn't last because my fingers didn't last either. Blister city man, gahhh.

I like Pro Mark Stick Rapp, and I like the Vater version even better. I'm staying with those.
If you mean something like these, I’m on board. Loved the way they felt but they tore me up. I ended up cutting the grip off. I use them all the time naked (the sticks, that is. . . As far as you know)

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
If you mean something like these, I’m on board. Loved the way they felt but they tore me up. I ended up cutting the grip off. I use them all the time naked (the sticks, that is. . . As far as you know)

They felt great for about 2 minutes before I was missing skin. Unfortunately I used them for a few hours that day. I didn't drop them, that's for sure. haha

Old Dog new Cans

I have used, and posted a product called Plastic-Dip, normally used for tool handles, and it worked fine. It can be thinned and I recommend that it be, and is very easy to use. Took forever to wear off and caused no blisters or hand problems.
I still have an unopened can of this. I may break it open this week.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
My take on tape, YMMV.

I have two objections to a grip that's on the stick. First, with the possible exception of a very thin grip material, rim clicks don't have the same attack/sound or feel. (Of course if you never do rim clicks, that's not a concern.) Second, because your bare hands are gripping the stick, whatever grip you use still rubs against your fingers as the bare wood does. Yes, there's a grip advantage, but there's also still friction and potential blistering.

For the last few years with more vigorous playing on the road, I've been using 3M Nexcare tape on my fingers. This prevents any rubbing against my skin, and the tape is suitably thin and a little stretchy with a nice grip, so the feel is very natural. After 60 shows in the last 11 weeks, my fingers and hands are as soft as the start of the tour. I use the 1" x 5-yd roll, and I think Target has the best price on single rolls at $3.50. There's also a 1.5" wide version if desired.

Convenience-wise, you'll need to dedicate a minute to applying the tape, as opposed to just picking up a stick that's ready-to-go. But the difference is worth the little extra time and expense, at least for me. The tape sticks really well to clean hands, and I occasionally forget that it's on. Sometimes an hour goes by before I realize I haven't removed it! But it also comes off very clean (unlike gaff tape, which I used to use with only fair success and a lot of sticky residue.)

Bermuda