Anyone recognize this set?

rustyfingers

It's 200 but I could probably get it for less. I was looking for a 'project' kit to fix up but this might be a pile of junk and not worth messing with.

Anyway, looks kinda' like an old Slingerland or Rogers from some other pics I've seen on the web but I can't be sure.

Thanks,
Dennis

Attachments

opentune

Platinum Member
it ape=pears to be a 1960's MIJ cheap copy, not a Slingerland or Rogers. Giveaway is metal hoops and only 6 lugs a side on the bass drum. Not worth 200 in my opinion. Even as a 1960's MIJ (some of which can sound decent) you'd need to get all the bottom hoops. I'd pass.....

harryconway

Platinum Member
I agree, that it's a MIJ kit.​
What it's worth .... well .... do you get the hardware and cymbals, or just the drums? And how much less can you get it for? Looks like an "almost" new Yamaha hi-hat stand there. Still has the factory blue protective sheet in the foot board. Could have some promise, gotten cheap enough.​

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Honestly, because of that bass drum being only six lug, I wouldn't bother with this kit. If you want old MIJ drums, get ones that came from the Pearl factory with the coffin lugs.

GeoB

Gold Member
The bottom tensioners are missing along with the hoops...

Old MIJ. 100 max. No... I take that back. I've seen old Forum's go for 150... it would depend on the materials (i.e. wood).

Last edited:

tamadrm

Platinum Member
_1...Unanimous.Definately a MIJ luan shell kit.Slingy copy lugs,and has been stripped of the original wrap.Seventy five ,in that condition,missing parts ,is generous.

Steve B

MikeM

Platinum Member
Appears to have two 12" toms too. Weird.

Not much to work with on that one, IMO. I'd pass.

Coelacanth

Hmm...I'd like to know more about those cymbals (there's also one on the floor)...and as previously stated, the hardware. $150 for pro-level cymbals, or vintage cymbals, and decent hardware would be a steal. Then you could burn the rest for firewood.

Sometimes--rarely, but sometimes--these el-cheapo kits have quality cymbals and the seller thinks because the kit is crap, so are the cymbals. If those were Sabian AA's or something, that's $300 worth of cymbals right there.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Appears to have two 12" toms too. Weird.

Not much to work with on that one, IMO. I'd pass.
Mike,when the "twin tom" bass drum mounted sets ,first started to appear in the late 50's, MIJ,as well as the American made kits,all had 2- 12" toms ,and only later on,in the mid to late 60's,was the second 12" tom,replaced with a 13" tom.I even had a Premier kit with 2- 12" toms for a short time.

Ludwig,Slingerland,Rogers,Gretsch Rogers,and I think early Camco all had "twin" 12's back in the day.The idea was symmetry,so the kit...LOOKED balanced.If you look at the old Monkees TV show,Mickey Dolenze Gretsch kit had 2-12 " toms

Steve B

rustyfingers

I'm still waiting on the seller to get back with me so I can find out what the cymbals are. I know they are sabians but not sure what model.

Coelacanth

I'm still waiting on the seller to get back with me so I can find out what the cymbals are. I know they are sabians but not sure what model.
Sometimes (usually) the sellers won't know, or the logos have worn off. If the seller takes the time to find out what cymbals he has, and finds out what they're really worth, he might update the ad--and possibly inform others who are inquiring, too. If it's not that far, I'd just make the trip and check them out. You might even make a low offer just for the cymbals, and if the seller agrees, go home laughing. :)

EDIT: Usually--95% of the time--if a kit is some modern el-cheapo crap kit, you just know the cymbals are gonna be B8's or ZBTs or something. But an old vintage kit like this...hmm...there's a reasonable chance those are nice, vintage cymbals. ;)

MikeM

Platinum Member
Mike,when the "twin tom" bass drum mounted sets ,first started to appear in the late 50's, MIJ,as well as the American made kits,all had 2- 12" toms ,and only later on,in the mid to late 60's,was the second 12" tom,replaced with a 13" tom.I even had a Premier kit with 2- 12" toms for a short time.

Ludwig,Slingerland,Rogers,Gretsch Rogers,and I think early Camco all had "twin" 12's back in the day.The idea was symmetry,so the kit...LOOKED balanced.If you look at the old Monkees TV show,Mickey Dolenze Gretsch kit had 2-12 " toms

Steve B
Interesting, I didn't know that. You're the man, Steve!

Steve B
Steve: Thank you so much, for sharing your timeless knowledge and wisdom...

Coelacanth

My guess from colour in those pics is the cymbal is a Sabian B8.
Me too, but you can't solely judge based on colors; the digital camera used, computer monitor calibration and the surroundings all will affect the color. I've seen many high-end cymbals end up looking like B8 bronze, and many B8 bronze cymbals having a more B20 look, due to computer color discrepancies.

If it's not a long drive, you won't know unless you go...I wouldn't suggest driving an hour to have a look but if it's not too far, you never know...only the guy who makes the trip to see them in person has the chance to make a score.

Isn't that another cymbal sitting on the guy's desk against the wall? Heck, a full pack of beginner cymbals in good condition could easily sell for $100 - $150.