Anyone know anything about room soundproofing?

Blankso

I was raising money to buy myself a new drumset (I got $700 saved up) but then I realized that I really need more practice time. I REALLY REALLY need more. A LOT more.
So I have decided to use the money sound proofing my bedroom. I dont know the exact size of it but its not too big but not really small.
So whats a good way to do this WITHOUT tearing apart my walls and getting my room to be as quiet as possible without too much over $1,000?
I know nothing about this stuff.

Last edited:

Brundlefly

So whats a good way to do this WITHOUT tearing apart my walls and getting my room to be as quiet as possible without too much over $1,000?
I know nothing about this stuff.
There isn't one. Unless by "quiet as possible," you mean maybe 5-10% quieter. Wanna see what it takes to make a stand along room in a garage (which is way easier than sound proofing a bedroom that is connected to an existing structure) very sound proof?

This will give you some idea. Obviously, more over the top than what you are shooting for in some ways, but honestly, a hell of a lot easier and cheaper than a bedroom. And no, you can't just hang stuff on your walls (i.e., carpet, egg cartons, foam, etc...) and expect it to do anything significant, although there are a lot of people willing to make that claim. Most of them want to sell you stuff.

For $1,000, your best best bet is an 8x8x8 stand-alone room on a concrete slab, double or offset studs, double 5/8" drywall/green glue sandwiches inside and out, a solid core door with seals and simple baffled, box fan driven, push-pull vents. That, you could easily get done for inside a grand and you would see a drop of roughly 30-40db.

Otherwise, go with the earlier suggestion and silence your kit.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
As said, there is no way to make a room sound proof (or close to) without major work.

Get the book: "Keep the Peace! The Musicians guide to soundproofing" by Mark Parsons. It was written with the drummer in mind.

That will tell you more than could be reasonably explained in this thread.

A

audiotech

My suggestion would be to move your drum kit to the basement if you have one or unless it's already there. It's usually a bit easier to limit their sound if you have one less surface area that you don't have to worry about the sound carrying through (the floor). And also if you're in a higher location in your house, the sound has more ability to be dispersed thoughout the structure itself. Other than that it could possible get a bit expensive depending on the amount of sound loss you desire.

Dennis

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Yep. There really is no sound "proof". Only varying levels of limiting the level of sound transmitted from inside to outside. Drums are loud. So if you don't want people to know you're playing them, it's going to take a lot of sound attenuation. If you don't want them to call the police on you, a bit less, but still a fair amount.

Absorbing the high frequency sound in the room (carpet, egg cartons, foam pads, etc) has nothing to do with the transmission of sound though the walls to the outside.

Basically you have to find a way to keep the noise inside the room that vibrates the inside wall (no way to avoid this) from passing that vibration on to the outside walls which become like large speaker cones and broadcast your playing to the neighborhood.

There are two parts to this: Isolating one wall from another. Floor and ceiling too as they are effectively walls connected to the outside. In a proper studio, there is an entire solid room floating on isolating pads from the regular room that connects to the outside. Sound goes though the isolating pads (nothing is perfect) and the air between the walls. Unless you could support the inside room with anti gravity and have a vacuum between it and the outside world, there is no such thing as sound proof. The best you can do is have as much space as possible, and fill it with insulation to limit the airborne vibrations between the walls as much as you can.

The other part is limiting the amount of vibration each wall will do in response to the noise hitting it. You can't stop it, but the more massive you make it, the less it will vibrate at normal frequencies. If you make it really stiff, it won't vibrate at low frequencies, but that typically makes it easier to vibrate at midrange frequencies. Unless you are a physicist, I wouldn't try to tune this. And anyway, it would be far outside your budget. The best you can practically do is make them as heavy as you can and somewhat floppy.

So, to make any headway on "soundproofing" a room, the base to start from would be to remove the existing sheetrock so you are down to bare studs. You don't want 3 layers of sheet rock, you want one airspace between your inside and outside walls. Cut sheetrock so that you can glue it to the exposed inside of the wall. This isn't as good as ripping the sheetrock off the other side, but often more practical. Fill the stud space with insulation. Then put up resilient channel or iso clips and channel, and then put two layers of 5/8 sheet rock on the inside. Same thing with the ceiling. Seal every crack and cranny as well as you can. Seal around electrical outlets (you'll need an electrician to relocate the outlets to the inside wall). Get two solid core doors and put them on either side of the door frame. The floor gets a bit diceyer. If you are on something solid like a slab, you can put a subframe down, fill it with sand and then flooring over that. If you are on a framed joist, that may be too heavy. You may not be able to isolate the floor as well as everything else but you can put your drums on a separate "stage" sitting on foam blocks to try and isolate it from the existing floor.

If you still have room in your budget, you can do the green glue thing on all your sheetrock layering.

You will still want some sort of acoustical treatment inside the room to keep it from sounding like a shower stall. Auralex panels or similar. Frames with chicken wire top and bottom and filled with rock wool (mineral fiber) or fiberglass insulation in a pinch, and covered with FLAME RETARDANT fabric.

Okay, this is pretty major reconstruction. If you own the house, this may be possible although you will have to undo it all when you move out.

If you can't to that. Practice pads or e-kit.

Ted White

As others have said, this isn't nearly as simple as you'd like. You can spend a great deal of time on the walls, ceiling and floor, but then the door and ventilation are the weak links. There is just no way to accomplish this with your budget.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
As was suggested, Moving the kit to the basement or a shed that isn't attached to the house is the cheapest way to take out a bit of the sound.

A friend of mine found a used plastic walled 10x10 shed for just a few hundred dollars.
These sheds come apart and can be moved with a pickup truck.
I helped him dig and pour a concrete slab with my backhoe.
We set up the shed.
We then insulated the walls and ceiling with 1 inch ridged foam insulation and drywall.
We carpeted the walls and the floor and we glued suspended ceiling panels to the ceiling.
We installed a wall mounted AC/Heater unit.

When he plays in the shed it sounds like a home stereo system at a moderate volume level from the outside.
Much more tolerable to his neighbors then when he played in his house.
He still has to respect the times that he plays and he has worked this out with his neighbors.