Anyone in a heavier band and not use double bass?

fmass92

My band went from being a pop punk band (when I first joined it) to something more along the lines of A Day To Remember or Close Your Eyes. Obviously being a lot heavier, some of the guys wonder why I don't use a double bass pedal. They don't really care, but they've asked me numerous times (maybe they do care?) but I always tell them I wanna be different then everyyy other drummer in all the bands that we sound similar to.

I'd rather try and create something catchy with what I use (simple one up, one down set-up with 4 cymbals excluding hats, and a single bass) rather than playing 8th's on the hi-hat and just blasting way on the double bass to match exactly what the guitar plays. Is there anything wrong with trying to stand out in this way or should I just man up and switch to double bass? ...which I've never played...and suck at.

Wopsey

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a single kick opossed to a double kick! I know many people who can go extremely fast with just one foot and can keep up with a heavier beat with no problem what so over.

The (ex) drummer from Underoath is who comes to mind when I think of a heavier band that strays away from double kick. Some songs he uses it, but a lot he just uses single kick and the music actually sounds amazing. He is truly a unique drummer, I can only imagine you also have a unique style.

Don't let them peer pressure you into double kick. If you've never been interested in it, why waste your time? Not everyone is big into double kick, and if you can keep up with your band with a single kick and prefer it that way, I'd say stay that way! There are very few drummers in heavier strains of music that use a single kick.

I personally regret being a double kick player. I read many posts here and ignored what most people told me, which was to wait to get a double kick until I've mastered the hi-hats. I had a double kick pedal before I had my first drum kit, and now lack in my hi-hat skills.

Just remember that every drummer has their own sense of style, if you enjoy playing single kick, then by all means, go for it! I'm far more impressed by drummers that have mastered the hi-hat rather than the double kick.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
Niko doesnt use a double bass pedal and I would consider Maiden to be a heavy band.

The best example of I can come up with is Abe Cunningham. The Deftones are very heavy and Abe only uses a single pedal. Most of time he is not even playing all that fast, he just keeps the heavy groove going.

JT1

Silver Member
Yeah dude no shame in being a single pedal player at all. I didn't even know what double bass was until 2 years into my playing. However when I first heard it I was dying to give it a shot and I never went back.

You have to make that choice if you want to switch to double, no one else can but it sounds like your mind is made up already and that is totally cool man.

Wopsey: yeah that can be a problem when you just want to play double kick and not develop hi-hat but you shouldn't let it put you off because you can still learn to play the hats competently, just detach your slave pedal for a few weeks and play nothing but hi-hat.

Some songs that are great for developing hi-hat: 'Whisky in the Jar' (Thin Lizzy - there is a nice triple open hi hat in there), 'Victim of Changes' (Unleashed in the East live version, Judas Priest - loads of nice and different applications all the way through the song), 'Shinobi vs Dragon ninja' (Lost Prophets - the verse groove is great for hi-hat development) 'Take me out' (Franz Ferdinand - open hi hats all of the way through, good for stamina and consistency).

They might not be styles that you particularly like since I don't know what music you listen to but all of those are great for hi-hat stuff and in much different contexts, they are not ultimately Jazz tricky either lol but should give you a damn good work out.

Evilbagua

Silver Member
I went from playing grindcore/death metal to doom metal. I switched from a dw9002 double and 99% blast beats to a dw5000 single. I like the single much more, if I need to play semi fast with the single it's not hard. Also it's nice not having to deal with a slave pedal set up at every gig.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I play heavy music mostly and when I need to bring it up a notch somehow (where a double pedal might work well), I find I can generate a lot of power playing a 16th pattern between my right hand on the first floor and my kick drum. Bonus points for throwing in some flams on the floors and maintaining quarters on the hats with the left foot.

Youan

I really recommend listening to the album Get Some by Snot.
One of the most exciting albums to listen to as an instrumentalist.

azrae1l

Silver Member
as much as i like double bass, it's not necessary. i play tons of death and grind and i'd say at least 75% has single bass with the other 25% being double bass as an effect, actually it's probably closer to 15%.

either way if it sounds good who cares, do it how you want.......

Frost

Silver Member
I do some faster, heavier bass fills with a single pedal. I don't really use the double bass for speed as I can't get the timing right, I attempt to borrow a technique from Sean Reinert however which involves playing 16th notes with the feet, 8th notes clapping the high hat by pressing the double bass pedal and high hat pedal simultaneously.

Back on topic, I don't think it is completely necessary, there were tons of drummers playing fast hard and heavy before Axis pedals or a second kick pedal became common. Just look at proto-hardcore/grind, early-black metal for something truly fast and heavy without a second kick pedal.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe George Kollias and a few other drummers known for playing technical metal blast with a single kick pedal. I think it was George that said in another thread that at really fast tempos, only the main foot is really in as close to possible perfect time, the second foot is just supplementing it, perhaps adding affect as has been mentioned, or in the case of triggered kick drums, a bit of extra speed.

I think a lot of metal drummers in particular like to ride the double pedal, they just start kicking somewhere around the start of the song in time with the music and don't stop. They like to have their feet moving in constant, rhythmic motion keeping the time while they do rolls etc. with their hands.

jmenchefski

There are products out there like the Coady Clutch that would allow you to switch back and forth - play double when it's appropriate and revert to single and be in full control of the hi-hats without farting with any switches or triggers of anything