Anyone here right-handed but left-footed? or vice versa?

tom2zip

DId being right-handed and left-footed or vice versa gave you any advantages in terms of double bass drumming or just drumming in general? I'm just curious :)

dr.funkenstien

Hey man,

I'm left handed but right footed. I just originally learned to play drums on a standard right handed kit, but I'm left handed so I just play my hands open style. I don't really believe there's any advantages either way you play personally. The only thing I do different to my set-up is put my ride cymbal on the left side. Carter Beauford is the same way also.

Brendan Colameco
www.myspace.com/brendancolamecodrums

TraxxFactor

I'm left handed but I play on a right handed kit. It was just natural for me to play like this. My batting stance is left handed. My golf stance is right handed. My basketball shot is right handed. I throw footballs, baseballs, etc right handed.

joeysnare

Silver Member
im right handed, playon a right handed kit, but i learned to play open handed and lefthanded, im a mess lol

undeadfred1

im right handed but i definately have more control over my left foot, it is a pain in the ass! I have been getting better and better with time using my right footpedal, but it will take a while before i feel like i am good with my right foot

leftypocket

I am left handed and play straight up lefty. I started out on a right-handed kit playing open. I'll be sitting in this weekend on a righty kit but it has a double bass pedal so I'll play open, use the left pedal and keep it simple.

DId being right-handed and left-footed or vice versa gave you any advantages in terms of double bass drumming or just drumming in general? I'm just curious :)
I play like this. It basically looks like an open handed left hand setup.

I have my main hihat and ride on the right and main BD on the left. When I double bass I lead with the left foot (that's what started this whole weird setup - trying to lead with my right broke my brain). I initially preferred a right handed setup done open handed, but for whatever reason, my brain completely turned to mush when trying adjust my dominate foot.

I now have a pedal-less aux hihat on the left as well as a 2nd ride on the left so I can pretty much play anything any way that's convenient for me (can feel more, think a lot less which is nice).

The interesting/odd thing is that I have no trouble coordinating blast beats with my left foot and right hand. Weird brain chemistry woot!

Dedworx

im right footed, left handed. not sure if being mismatch sided is that much of a better or worse thing. i think there is a downside these days for being left footed in that its harder to just sit behind someone's kit and make subtle changes.

well as being left or right handed, but still right footed doesnt really make it harder in terms of borrowing/using one kit over many bands at a show.

im right handed but i definately have more control over my left foot, it is a pain in the ass! I have been getting better and better with time using my right footpedal, but it will take a while before i feel like i am good with my right foot
That's me to a tee! My instructor has me working on isolating my right foot skills in exercises. I can play them perfectly well with my left foot but depending on what I'm doing with my right hand and counting, I either play perfectly with my right foot or muck it up, there's no in between. I do see the improvement in control over my right foot with the practice but I'm glad to see it's not just me. ;)

brady

Platinum Member
I'm left-handed but right-footed too. I started a thread about this a while back.

It helped me adapt to the drums pretty easily, I think. I play a standard right-hand set-up. It just made sense to me to play that way. I don't understand leading with your dominant hand; I use that one to hit the snare. I used the analgy of swinging a hammer; I wouldn't swing it with my right hand so why use it to hit the snare? I have more power with my left and more finesse with my right so it was a no-brainer...lead with the right. Where it got weird (from a left-handed standpoint) was that I'm right-footed. That works perfectly on the drum set though. I am able to execute patterns much easier with my right foot than my left.

The only issue I ever had was, when I first started playing I would lead with my left. It would make some fills a little awkward while a few actually worked out pretty well. But for the most part my fills ended with two lefts so I could hit the crash with my right. A paradiddle...before I even knew what a paradiddle was. Hand-to-hand sixteenths on the hi-hat were even more awkward...sneaking the left hand down to hit the snare. This was cured by finding a good teacher and doing LOTS of singles leading with the right hand.

DrummerBoy95

Hey,

I'm kind of a mess as well I guess hahaha I'm right handed for drumming, but when i play tennis or if I write, i do so with my left hand, so i've got a pretty even coordination on both hands. As for the feet, I've got right foot lead in general, but whenever i get a double pedal on my kit, and have to play double bass, i tend to lead with my left foot. I think this "mess" i due to the fact that I'm basically left footed and handed, but that my drum teacher would ALWAYS have me set up the kit the "regular" way (right hand/right foot lead), so I had to get used to playing against my "natural" side i guess. I realized that this way I'm able to adapt pretty quickly to any kit set up, and playing open handed isn't really a big deal, all though I've only really started to get into open handed playing a few weeks ago.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I too am very left handed but right footed. So I play a right-handed open-handed setup with the ride just above and a little forward of the hats. The bottom of the hats are only an inch above the top of the snare. I have been playing this way for 43 years, and it is all I know. Peace and goodwill.

mg33

Left handed but right footed ... is an incredible blessing. Not crossing your hands saves so much hassle. If you are a young drummer and have this gift ... use it. [Left hand on the hi-hat, right hand on the snare and right foot on the bass drum.] The perfect way to play drums. IMHO

I am right handed but left footed ... kind of useless but I made the most of it. If I had known earlier I would have used the left hand lead [on hi-hat] and worked lots of cool stuff between my left foot and hand.

How can you determine if you prefer the left foot or right? For me, I kick a ball much further with my left foot. Any other ways you've seen to determine left or right preference?

MG
http://playdrumsinaband.com/