Anyone else??

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
There is nothing to be annoyed about. Cool is OK as long as you don't sacrifice sound to do so. All of us want to have good, or cool looking drums.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Just think of the most amazing recordings ever made where we don't have any photos of what the kit looked like. It puts the music first.

But I second the Mayor, it's nice to have a cool looking kit.

DrumDemon

There is nothing to be annoyed about. Cool is OK as long as you don't sacrifice sound to do so. All of us want to have good, or cool looking drums.
Yeah, thats what I meant. Sacrificing sound.
Or just going into something blindly.

Like wanting a cymbal stacker cause they look cool, but not having any idea what they sound like or even if they will fit into that drummer's style.

My point is, i see alot of beginning drummers spending so much money on things they're not really researching. Working in a music store, and receiving comish, it doesn't bother me that much. But I have to stop someone when they say they want Ebony Pinstripes on their black drumset because they think they will look awesome. They aren't even considering what the Ebony's will sound like.

DrumDemon

Just think of the most amazing recordings ever made where we don't have any photos of what the kit looked like. It puts the music first.

But I second the Mayor, it's nice to have a cool looking kit.
I would much rather play shows with a great sounding kit, then a great looking kit.
It is nice to have both though

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I would much rather play shows with a great sounding kit, then a great looking kit.
It is nice to have both though
I have both. And I love it.

However, sometimes you just gotta let people get what they want. That's the only way they learn about what they don't want, or what doesn't work. Nothing like a hit to the pocketbook to teach those oh-so-important lessons, eh?

But even I had a black kit and put black pinstripes top and bottom for the look. It didn't sound half-bad ;)

harryconway

Platinum Member
But I have to stop someone when they say they want Ebony Pinstripes on their black drumset because they think they will look awesome. They aren't even considering what the Ebony's will sound like.
That's a really weak argument ... the Ebony finish sounds like the smooth white, and vice versa ... and Remo offers the Ebony finish on quite a few of their drum head types, so you really don't need to "sacrifice" good sound ... if you wanna play black drum heads.​
What I'm more critical of, is the cat who has a 14 piece Sound Percussion (or "whatever name") ... aka ... a room full of cheap drums. Put the money into a good, used, pro-level kit ... and add-on a drum at a time, if you're short on cash.​

Pimento

That's a really weak argument ... the Ebony finish sounds like the smooth white, and vice versa ... and Remo offers the Ebony finish on quite a few of their drum head types, so you really don't need to "sacrifice" good sound ... if you wanna play black drum heads.​
What I'm more critical of, is the cat who has a 14 piece Sound Percussion (or "whatever name") ... aka ... a room full of cheap drums. Put the money into a good, used, pro-level kit ... and add-on a drum at a time, if you're short on cash.​
I dunno, i added the 2 drums to my catalina ash to make an 8 piece, and its by no means a "pro" kit. But i love the sound palette i get from it and consider it a worthwhile investment

criz p. critter

Silver Member
Plus there's cool and then there's cool...

Like the cool of a vintage Ludwig kit in beautiful condition, which many people would consider "cool", vs the cool of some kind of overpriced Travis Barker (or whoever) style kit that only a small group of fanboys would consider "cool".

But even the fanboys, if they hang out long enough, will eventually come around to understand the true cool. Better to help them expand their horizons than to rag on them for their naivete, I think.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Just think how many cool finishes became passé, and are now big bucks cool! Mardis Gras... Psych Red... etc. Maybe in 30 years, today's goofy kits will be ultra collectable.

Bermuda

uniongoon

Gold Member
Why not have it all. Drums to me are a visually captivating instrument, they should also be set up to promote smooth agile playing, moving from one part of the kit to another should not involve changing body position, angle of attack, and tuning is most important of all. Now ignoring part of the equation just to look good, well some guys twirl their sticks better than me.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Am I the only person annoyed with those who want "a cool looking kit"
Life throws me many annoyances.....some are a minor niggle, others are a massive headache and everything else tends to lie squarely in between.
Funnily enough, none of these annoyances have ever been triggered by what kit someone else chooses to play.

Life is waaaaay to short, my friend. Conserve your enery.....you'll need it for issues far greater than this.

TNA

I get what you are saying, but it's natural for people to want a cool looking kit, especially beginners. I teach guitar lessons and almost all of my students when buying their first guitar, buy it because of the shape and color. Also it can be a good thing, I'll admit I got my first china because I say some of my favorite drummers at the time using it. And after I got it I learned to use it.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
... I have to stop someone when they say they want Ebony Pinstripes on their black drumset because they think they will look awesome. They aren't even considering what the Ebony's will sound like.
Good for you, DD - ethics in retail.

Having said that, someone who's set on black-on-black is quite possibly in a loud band who aren't all that flash. If the kit isn't tuned and played well the subtleties of a better head will probably be lost anyway.

Some people are in it more for the gear and social side, and no doubt you've met heaps of them in the shop. It's possible the client would be reeeally chuffed to add a set of Pitch Blacks to the kit, even if they sound like baking tins lol

harryconway

Platinum Member
I dunno, i added the 2 drums to my catalina ash to make an 8 piece, and its by no means a "pro" kit. But i love the sound palette i get from it and consider it a worthwhile investment
Getting on the defensive ... when I really don't think you need to be.​
".....is the cat who has a 14 piece Sound Percussion (or "whatever name") ... aka ... a room full of cheap drums......"​
that's what I said ....
hmmmm ...14 - 8, hmmmmm .... last time I checked, you're about 6 drums shy of my example ...​
Sound Percussion vs. Gretsch Catalina Ash ... hmmmmm ..... a 5 piece SP kit costs $300 .... the 6 piece (free tom) Gretsch kit costs $679 ... so if there's a correlation there, I fail to see it ....​

Mark_S

Silver Member
Classy > (is more than) Cool, IMHO.
But yes I wouldn't get stressed about it. If they're truley into it they'll learn in time. It's a bit like the young lads in there suped up crappy cars with a exhaust that's bigger than them. It looks cheap and tacky with no class, but its not harming anyone and if they enjoy it, fine.
Now I feel like a snob, tehehe.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Life throws me many annoyances.....some are a minor niggle, others are a massive headache and everything else tends to lie squarely in between.
Funnily enough, none of these annoyances have ever been triggered by what kit someone else chooses to play.

Life is waaaaay to short, my friend. Conserve your enery.....you'll need it for issues far greater than this.

Truer words have never been spoken. Thanks for the reality check PFOG !

Skulmoski

Gold Member
Nope; I'm pretty tolerant with how other people spend their own money. Besides, we are getting into a discussion about values; I don't expect others to share my values and I try to respect other people's choices even if I do not necessarily agree.

GJS

Pimento

Getting on the defensive ... when I really don't think you need to be.​
".....is the cat who has a 14 piece Sound Percussion (or "whatever name") ... aka ... a room full of cheap drums......"​
that's what I said ....
hmmmm ...14 - 8, hmmmmm .... last time I checked, you're about 6 drums shy of my example ...​
Sound Percussion vs. Gretsch Catalina Ash ... hmmmmm ..... a 5 piece SP kit costs $300 .... the 6 piece (free tom) Gretsch kit costs $679 ... so if there's a correlation there, I fail to see it ....​
Lol i wasnt being defensive, the Delta posts seem to have everyone jumping to point out over reactions. I would apologize for any perceived hostility in my post that you saw, but the fact that you had to be so condescending in your second post, ill chalk it up even.