Anyone else notice the cost of sticks getting ridiculous

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'm still amazed that my Vater Fusion sticks are still good after 10.5 months. I switched to them after growing tired of wood tips splitting. The tips on my wood tipped sticks would have died in 3 months. I only gig on average once a week and my gigs don't require hard hitting. The center of the stick where it hits the rim is starting to show wear finally. Tips are as good as new.

bigd

Silver Member
I think this why most pros timpanists/marimbists etc. recover and make their own sticks. I made a timpani mallet out of wool and a dowl, and rewound a couple of mallets. I'm thinking about making my own drum sticks to, but I can't really find the type of stick I want anyway so, it seems appropriate. There are hand made brushes out there too, though I haven't tried to do that yet. I'm actually surprised that people, don't create there own, sticks, mallets and brushes more often. I find it's really fun to have a stick bag full of different timbres.

timpanists yes in many instances. marimbists no. it's too hard to get and even sound when hand winding yarn.

mallets and sticks are very, very cheap compared to the prices other instrumentalists pay to play their instrument.

For $10,000 you can be set up with top line drums and sticks for quite a while. As a violinist, cellist, or bassonist that's the very low level of instrument.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
timpanists yes in many instances. marimbists no. it's too hard to get and even sound when hand winding yarn.

mallets and sticks are very, very cheap compared to the prices other instrumentalists pay to play their instrument.

For $10,000 you can be set up with top line drums and sticks for quite a while. As a violinist, cellist, or bassonist that's the very low level of instrument.
You haven't priced calf skin timpani heads have you? Sure they don't have to constantly craft reeds, but the care, maintenance, cost and not to mention tuning.