Anyone else have trouble getting to sleep after playing at night?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Whether I'm at a gig or practicing, I always, always, always have trouble settling down after I get home after I play. Even if I'm dead-dog tired, once I get still, I'm wide awake for at least an hour or so.

Anyone else go through this?

notvinnie

What time are you getting home and going to bed? You probably need at least three hours after load out to wind down, especially if it's a gig that was meaningful to you.

Depending how hard your playing/practicing and how late in the day , it’s just like working out . When the body is stressed it releases endorphins and cortisol , raises body temp and increases heart rate , even hours later. Cortisol blocks the effects of melatonin ( the hormone that’s released to help you fall asleep ). Staying hydrated throughout the day will help and more so when exerting the body. A shower can help also along with light stretching or yoga and reading also to unwind. Some people recommend to drink certain teas , and while this may help to fall asleep it just wakes this 52 year old man up to pee in the middle of the night , so YMMV LOL !

It's so normal that I haven't even thought about going to bed immediately. It 's a ceremony to return, open an after work drink (preferably beer or wine), laying down on my sofa, watching TV or YT until my eyes start closing.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
You're not drinking enough after the show. That's why alcohol was invented, to calm down performers before bed!

But yea, I know what you mean. It doesn't happen all the time but it happens. Sometimes I get songs stuck in my head so bad, that I need a tow truck to pull em out.

veecharlie

I normally fall flat asleep. However, I must admit I have definitively encountered a couple of times that I would be so tired and exhausted that I would just be unable to get asleep.
I sometimes take a very small dose of melatonin to help me fall asleep.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Usually need to wind down after I get back, not drastically as the adrenaline soon wears off.

Tea and biscuits are the order of the day, takes about half an hour after that and I'm out like a light and roll on the crack of noon!

You're not drinking enough after the show. That's why alcohol was invented, to calm down performers before bed!

But yea, I know what you mean. It doesn't happen all the time but it happens. Sometimes I get songs stuck in my head so bad, that I need a tow truck to pull em out.
This also lol ! Forgot to mention my shot of bourbon or glass of red wine when I walk in the door at home afterwards 👍🏻. Sometimes before I play also 😉. For some it’s no good before playing , but I get all amped up ( nervous maybe?) and it helps . For me anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️

cbphoto

Gold Member
No, if I stick to my routine:
I always shower when I get home after a gig. This really helps me relax. I also don't eat or drink alcohol a few hours before going to bed. Trying to sleep on a full stomach sucks (and is very unhealthy).

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
No, if I stick to my routine:
I always shower when I get home after a gig. This really helps me relax. I also don't eat or drink alcohol a few hours before going to bed. Trying to sleep on a full stomach sucks (and is very unhealthy).
This∆∆∆

The body requires a routine for good sleep. Any deviation in your nighttime routine will effect your sleep. If you fall asleep with music or tv, it's harder if you don't have it. If you don't regularly drink, but have some drinks to relax after the gig, it will mess with your sleep. If you drink regularly but don't one night you won't sleep well. Stick with the routine or your sleep will be effected.

beatdat

Most definitely. I'm usually on a "high" after rehearsals, which can last more than several hours, and it often takes me a couple of hours to wind down before I can sleep. There are exceptions, though, depending on just how tired I am that day. Our few gigs so far have been much shorter (and end a lot earlier than our rehearsals), so falling asleep after one is usually not a problem as it's already been a few hours after playing that I do go to sleep. In either case, once I do fall asleep after a rehearsal or a gig, I find that it's a better sleep than most nights as I am pretty much exhausted once I do wind down.

I also practice on the pads most nights of the week, but that doesn't seem to have any affect on my sleep.

I wish I could say I have good sleep hygiene in general, but my sleep patterns are all over the place from one day to another. It's been like that since I was a child. I feel I would be more productive in life if I did have a better sleep schedule - it's one way I differ completely from everyone in my family (who are all up at 5:00am everyday).

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Only after a gig I'm wound up-I go though the whole concert (in my head) and I look for boo-boos dammit. No one else seems to notice but I do. I really pisses me off after I've memorized a song I go deer in headlights at a gig. After that the song echoes in my mind for days-haunting me the SOB. But that night cause I got ADD and I may put on my smoking jacket I forget all about it thankfully so I sleep like a baby-lullaby the song that haunts me LOL.

RickP

Gold Member
I am wired after a show, I usually come home and watch an hour or two of TV then I can just fall asleep afterwards with no problem.

Peedy

Dunno if you have legal access where you're at (Arkansas?) but a friend of mine swears by CBD. Personally, I would say a bit of amorous behavior with that special someone does wonders for bringing on sleep. . . though I realize that's situational and not an option for everyone.

A shout out to my wife of 30yrs.

Pete

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Every. Time.

I always just plan on not going to bed right when I get home. If we're on the road or something then I like to go for a walk near the hotel or whatever. I find that going to bed when I don't feel tired at the moment never ever helps. I need to do something else for a little while. Typically about an hour or so after I get home.