Anyone 'downgraded' from a 5+ piece kit to a 4 piece?

wolfgang

My 10" tom is just sitting aside, off the kit while I rock out with the 12" and 14" :p
My dad plays the kit a bit too and he'll sometimes complain about it, "I paid for these drums, why not use 'em all?"..he just doesn't understand I guess :p

And to answer the question about rock drummers with a 4 piece, I'd say it's fairly common nowadays. You can look at almost any punk band and they'll have a four piece (maybe a second floor tom).

fixxxer

As a matter of fact I just "reconfigured" from a 6 to 5 piece last week and really like it. Thinking about going down to 4 real soon.
It's nice to simplify. Funny how it seems to take the "pressure" off and allows you to really work on grooves rather than some unneeded, and often times, useless tom fills.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I've gone from a 5 to a 4 to a 6 to a 7 back to a 4 and now to a 5 etc etc...

Majority of my playing is on a 4 piece. I do it ala Buddy style where the second floor tom is almost exclusive for my towel or something.

But then once in a while I sit behind a friend's kit with all the toys and just go ballistic. It's nice to bash so many things that have so darn many sounds every once in a while.
It's really common for drummers to change their setups over the years, adding and taking away drums and cymbals and percussion.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I bought my 5pc from Franky and regret it now, I don't use the 10" tom. It sounds incredible and I love it...but I can't force myself to be comfy w/ anything beyond a 4pc. I've been playing that way for over a year now. I even started the 4pc drummers social group here on DW:

http://drummerworld.com/forums/group.php?groupid=10

My first high-end kit was a 6pc DW rig, two-up, two-down...that felt entirely unnecessary.

I'm thinking that I might like a 14x14 floor tom again, though.

Ainulindale

Gold Member
i've had my kit less than a month and probably changed my set up six or more times in the first 10 days, finally settled on the 4pc, 12" and 16" - it just settled me down if that makes sense - it feels comfortable, like an old pair of sneakers!
i think the next kit will be 1 up 2 down though, 13" rack and 16" and 18" floors, big old rock kit with all those wonderful lows ;-)
good drumming!

805Drummer

Gold Member
I've never really played a 5-piece kit (unless you count my old Stagestar), but I have to say: Having one rack tom is really nice, but with two floor toms, you can put a cymbal in between them (chinas are common) and it will look fine. With a 4-piece, it would look terrible if you put a cymbal behind the floor tom.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I've never really played a 5-piece kit (unless you count my old Stagestar), but I have to say: Having one rack tom is really nice, but with two floor toms, you can put a cymbal in between them (chinas are common) and it will look fine. With a 4-piece, it would look terrible if you put a cymbal behind the floor tom.
My kit respectfully disagrees w/ you.

Regardless, I wouldn't make drum setup decisions based on how it looks...ya know? Someone who buys an extra floor tom so he can aesthetically place a cymbal between them strikes me as a drummer w/ his priorities out of line.

remoking

I agree with Zambizzi. In my opinion you should never let the looks of a drum set persuade you to set up in an uncomfortable way.

Phat_Rolls

Well, I've been playing the 4 piece now for a few days and I think I'm gonna just keep it this way. I thought that the leap between the rack tom and the floor tom would be too much for quick rolls, but I'm getting used to it. I feel much more comfortable behind the 4 piece.

805Drummer

Gold Member
My kit respectfully disagrees w/ you.

Regardless, I wouldn't make drum setup decisions based on how it looks...ya know? Someone who buys an extra floor tom so he can aesthetically place a cymbal between them strikes me as a drummer w/ his priorities out of line.
I wouldn't buy an extra floor tom to do it, but if you already have it (and play that kind of music), I'm just saying it's more aesthetically pleasing.

Mikebike88

I've had some instances playing Rock gigs where the drum space was very limited so I had to leave a tom in the car for space purposes. That said, I really like playing on a 4 piece, its very compact, and simplistic! Now for my metal band, I would never go below a 5 or a 6 piece setup of course, but for my Rock gigs, 5 or 4 float my boat