Anyone actually PREFER long lugs?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
My first set of Tama Rockstars came with those LONG lugs which only seemed to emphasize the depth of those drums. As time has moved on, I really prefer low-mass lugs now.

Anyone out there actually prefer long lugs to short ones? If so, what about them do you like?

I liked them when I had a set of Yamaha Recording Customs in the late 80s-early 90s, but you didn't have a choice if you wanted Recording Customs, though.

Hey Pork Pie!

I always hated the look of those, personally. But I guess some out there could have liked them, right?

I like them.

I own a rockstar and a superstar kit, both with long lugs, though in the case of the superstar kit, the lugs don't actually touch the drum for most of their span. More like a bridge over water or something.

I don't really like the long lugs either. I see them as adding weight, and they detract from seeing the look of the shell. They would not keep me from buying a kit though, if I liked its sound.

Never had them.
I think they look fine, but would definitely pose a problem if you're looking to cut down your shells.

I liked them when I had a set of Yamaha Recording Customs in the late 80s-early 90s, but you didn't have a choice if you wanted Recording Customs, though.

Actually there was a small window of time when YAMAHA had a custom build program, back when PEARL and SONOR started theirs. YAMAHA thought they had to keep up with the Jones'.

There were some MAPLE CUSTOM kits made (or at least a kit made) with RC long lugs, and a few other oddities made it out the door too. According to Jim Haler, something to the effect of- YAMAHA couldn't stomach some of the requests and so the program was canceled.

PREMIER long lugs the best looking IMO, lightweight too compared to YAMAHA, tho cheap construction.

OK, my hand is up. I like the looks of long lugs. My Recording Customs had them, and they were sleek, smooth, and sexy. But, I also like the looks of the Ludwig long lugs. Not quite sexy, but they look manly and rugged. Do long lugs affect the resonance of the shells? No doubt about it. Yes. But how many of us buy those super resonant shells and then equip them with two-ply heads and moon gel? I don't care, as long as the drums sound good.

GeeDeeEmm

I don't like them. Extra weight albeit small and hides the drums finish.

Prefer as in 'seek out instead of short lugs'? I don't know, but I like the way that the chrome offsets the black. In this case the long bit is a fake lug that lies between the upper and lower lug. Best of both worlds, or the worst.

But in the part of the drumming ecosystem that I inhabit, my Exports do just fine. I don't rhapsodise over them, but I don't think that they suck either. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...Pearl Exports...the Toyota Corolla of the drum world...

Attachments

• Export.jpg
    Export.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 879
You guys talking about the long lugs affecting the sound need to get a grip. I'd wager that on almost all drum setups from factories, the heads and tuning is really all that matters.

Never in my life have I heard a kit with small lugs and said "man that sounds so much better than my kits, must be the lugs!".

If we're talking about gurus or some other luxury small builder who really thinks about every aspect, then sure, the lugs might come into play with the sound. Usually? No.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...Pearl Exports...

I see your Pearl Exports and raise you... A Tama Rockstar:

15389435618_409a7d2079_b.jpg

On the Rockstar kit, the long lugs were fine. The short lug version of these kits (mid to late 80's with Cannon style blocky lug) were pretty ugly. However, since I am completely re-vamping my Rockstars, I am switching out the high tension lugs for regular individual lugs in a style that is similar to what the Rockstars had, just not that ugly block shaped Cannon crap.

attachment.php

While I do not care for long lugs, I do like the look of a tuxedo kit (mid-mount bowtie lugs with long tension rods). I imagine they're a PITA to maintain though.

I've never liked them. However I would be proud to own an RC kit, to go along with my 88 mod. PTC & 07 BCAN kits. Ha Ha.

upsmall.jpeg

Double ended tube lugs here. However, there are a couple important caveats that differentiate them from, say, those long Pearl Export lugs. 1) They're aluminum, so, low mass. 2) They don't run along the shell, but are suspended above it. 3) They only touch the shell at two points.

Obviously this affects my stave kit more than a typical ply kit, but I also love the look.

In the case of the Superstar Hyperdrive kit, the lugs do travel over the shell and the mass difference by itself is probably not a huge contributor. However, I do feel that the combination of 6 of those bad boys per rack tom (8 per floor) coupled with the high-mass die-cast hoops choked those shells' response (in my experience, having owned one). They look great though. I would probably buy a Silverstar if I did that purchase all over, but, learning, living, etc.

...Do long lugs affect the resonance of the shells? No doubt about it.

And then...

You guys talking about the long lugs affecting the sound need to get a grip.

And then...

nobody said that, only that they add weight and aesthetically show less shell. Now long LEGS...is a different matter

Apart from GDM, you mean?

Legs are indeed a different matter, and resonate well with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUDcTLaWJuo

I used to have a Tama Artstar II and loved the long lugs. It's not my preference now but I wouldn't be averse to having a kit with them. If I could get another Artstar for cheap I would jump on it.

Back