Anyone actually PREFER long lugs?

D

drumming sort of person

I wonder if the lugs being centered and taking much of the tension off the shell while also being small have something to do with these drums sounding so big and open.
Correct assumption.

lsits

Gold Member
It's a case-by-case (or rather drum-by-drum) basis. I like the long lugs on darker colored drums like Recording Customs in Piano Black. They don't do much for me on a lighter colored drum or where the wood grain really shows through.

kenwood

It occurs to me that my Club Date lugs, while not "long", perform a similar or identical function as high tension lugs. And they visually segment the shell like long lugs do so the look isn't that different. So I guess I really do like that look.

I wonder if the lugs being centered and taking much of the tension off the shell while also being small have something to do with these drums sounding so big and open. I love my Club Dates!

I've got a set of the Cavern Club Ludwig Club Dates,m and never thought of them in regards to this discussion. Club dates have a fabulous tone. Cheers.

kenwood

I think it is just an era thing. Big in the 80's early 90's, so my early 90's kit has them, just to be 'authentic' (wrong word but all I can think of right now).

Actually there was a small window of time when YAMAHA had a custom build program, back when PEARL and SONOR started theirs. YAMAHA thought they had to keep up with the Jones'.

There were some MAPLE CUSTOM kits made (or at least a kit made) with RC long lugs, and a few other oddities made it out the door too. According to Jim Haler, something to the effect of- YAMAHA couldn't stomach some of the requests and so the program was canceled.

PREMIER long lugs the best looking IMO, lightweight too compared to YAMAHA, tho cheap construction.
That's not entirely accurate, but close. There was one particular instance when a guy ordered Maple Custom shells with recording Custom lugs(this was before I worked here). He was advised that it was a bad idea, but he insisted on having them made "his way". They sounded bad, and the drums were eventually bought back from the customer and destroyed. In the end, Yamaha decided that it's better to have experienced designers do their thing rather than leaving it to chance so this program was halted.

G

Ghostnote

If I get a Classic Maple kit I think it'll have Mach lugs.

uniongoon

Gold Member
I have a big batch of spalted birch that I hope to adorn with these long lugs from Allstar.

I also love the long tube lugs on my Signia kit. I owned it for a couple years before I noticed the lug posts are large replica's of tension rod tops.

GeoB

Gold Member
To my visual perception long lugs unclutter the shell and perhaps even let the shell resonate better. I like that.