Any pre gig routine?

deltdrum

I always try and listen to some jazz before I play a gig. It's not really to "pump" me up, but it just gets my mind thinking in that tight jazz pocket throughout the day.

I "TETRIS" my stuff into my 4 door Hundai Sonata, covering every drum with a sweatshirt to keep it from scratching, and usually beat the band to the show. From there I just go OCD on tuning, get everything good and ready to play, detune it, drive myself crazy, and then finally settle on something that is most likely the exact same as when I unpacked.

I then walk around the venue holding sticks so that everyone knows I'm a drummer and can tell how cool I am (just kidding). I usually get a beer, a tea, and some food, and lounge around and b.s. with other bands.

At some point I usually go and get the sound guys name, get him a beer, apologize for the horrible time that he's about to have mic'ing my '68 single tension 26" bass drum (so far out of round it probably couldn't roll down a hill).

Then I just go wander around and act like I'm doing really important stuff with the gear (usually just jacked on caffeine and stir crazy).

coolhand1969

I beat on various objects I can find at the site and drink 3 beers, no more, no less. I am not abdicating the use of alcohol to anyone, especially anyone on this forum who is underage!!! I am 44, so fairly legal, and I have been doing this for years, it just helps to loosen me up and relax. Sorry if this upsets anybody, not my intention, it is just the truth.

Juniper

Gold Member
No routine as such

Normally my pre gig time is spent rushing from work to whatever London venue we're playing. If I get some time I'll listen to recordings on route (if we're doing any new songs) but otherwise I'll just have a pre gig beer or two and chat to the band when I get there to chill out from the rush and to settle down.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Never had a routine, apart from employing a range of intoxicants to settle my nerves in the old days. Now, with the occasional gig I play my routine is more like:

My routine involves cursing and swearing that I need to move this stuff and then drag it all back home again when I'm done. Then talking to myself promising I'll never take another gig again....

EarthRocker

I like to eat pre-gig. It's not unusual for me to walk up the kit with a mouthful of Subway, or even (dare I say it) fast food. I also like to drink a beer or two prior to the gig. I don't do it all the time, or even a majority, but when I have the oppertunity, I will. Not because I want to "unwind" or anything like that - I just really enjoy a cold beer.

I also had a post-gig ritual with the last band I was with. After we played, we'd pack up our stuff and then walk from the venue to a nearby establishment to eat. This is actually fine for me because I'm a pretty big guy, and I enjoy food... a lot. The tempos we played at were mostly pretty quick stuff, so I always imagined I burned off most of the pre-gig feast anyway.

groove1

Silver Member
No set routine but I always try to be on location early enough to be set up and ready...then
have 15-20 minutes before we go on.

SquadLeader

Gold Member
Arrive very early to allow plenty of time to setup

Have a drink or two

Sit at my kit 10 mins before kick off and gently tap to whatever other music is playing.

Open a banana just as we start and take my first bit. Give me more energy to get through the set.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
My routine involves cursing and swearing that I need to move this stuff and then drag it all back home again when I'm done. Then talking to myself promising I'll never take another gig again....
That's sums it up quite nicely for me too... although it has been ages and ages since I did a gig... but first thing first, I have to find a band... and pass an audition, then maybe I'll gig again :)

dmacc

Platinum Member
Never had a routine, apart from employing a range of intoxicants to settle my nerves in the old days. Now, with the occasional gig I play my routine is more like:
I knew you’d understand….

That's sums it up quite nicely for me too... although it has been ages and ages since I did a gig... but first thing first, I have to find a band... and pass an audition, then maybe I'll gig again :)
Hopefully you get a gig soon Henri!

drummer-russ

Gold Member
"although it has been ages and ages since I did a gig... but first thing first, I have to find a band... and pass an audition, then maybe I'll gig again :)"

I am in the same place!

Years ago my only pregig routine was to fret over my set up and getting a little rudiment work in. I always did scan the crowd. Strange thing was I don't know what I was looking for, just measuring in my imagination what type of crowd I guess. Seems odd to me now.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Get to the gig at least 1 hour before the gig. Enjoy the moment once we start to play. Listen and support the music as best I can. Oh yes and take a leak before we start too.