Any opinions on the Mapex V Series?

dirtyclinic

I picked this up a while back in a trade (the trade involved guitars for the most part) but haven't gotten around to setting it up and playing it until now. It's a Mapex V Series 5-piece. It has the Mapex branded heads on it but they are made by Remo. The kick pedal and snare stand are SP brand and very lightweight. I love the wooden look of these drums. I assume these are like a mid-grade drum set but I am not sure. Anyhow, I am about to tune them up and give them a try.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
Basic cheap beginner kit that can be made to sound pretty good with some good heads and tuning. They were the lowest line of Mapex drums. They used to be the Venus series but then they just called the V. I think they were made out of Basswood.

If those heads are stock, they are probably a decade old.

Edit: I hope you didn't end up trading too much for it, since I don't think they are worth a whole lot.

dirtyclinic

Basic cheap beginner kit that can be made to sound pretty good with some good heads and tuning. They were the lowest line of Mapex drums. They used to be the Venus series but then they just called the V. I think they were made out of Basswood.

If those heads are stock, they are probably a decade old.

Edit: I hope you didn't end up trading too much for it, since I don't think they are worth a whole lot.
We valued it at $200 in the trade. I got a really nice cymbal stand and an A series Zildjian ride cymbal with it so I figured just that stand and cymbal were worth over $100. I actually have a nicer drum set so I will be selling this, I just wanted to set it up and play with it for a while.