Any Hard Rock/Metalcore Fans?

Sirraf

Are some of you guys into the heavier style of rock such as mild as Breaking Benjamin, Slipknot, Seether, to Periphery, Bring Me the Horizon, I Prevail, etc? Curious to the various tastes on the forum.

lefty2

Platinum Member
Are some of you guys into the heavier style of rock such as mild as Breaking Benjamin, Slipknot, Seether, to Periphery, Bring Me the Horizon, I Prevail, etc? Curious to the various tastes on the forum.
oh ya! I mostly listen to that style of music. Most of my music is christian oriented. August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Soul Embraced, Haste the Day, Demon Hunter etc. I like a lot of the rock stuff too. Skillet, Fire Flight, Disciple, Thousand Ft. Crutch. Really I like almost all types of music, but I listen to this metal / rock music the most.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Heh, I see Hard Rock and Metalcore as wildly different things.

I would say I'm a big hard rock fan by my definition, and I don't really care for metalcore.

audioragegarden

Not entirely sure I would classify Slipknot as "mild" haha, or at least when compared to bands like Breaking Benjamin and Seether. Slipknot falls in more with the other three as far as my intensity range goes. The half-serious way that I've described that range to people for a couple of years now is "Nothing softer than Weezer, or heavier than Pantera". I even considered making that the slogan of my music blog. :p

Never really been attracted to metalcore, as the musicianship is very impressive but the two dimensional vocalists aggravate me significantly. But I guess every generation has a genre that the older folks just aren't hip to. And by "older folks" in my case I'm a 22 year old who thinks he was born in 1980.

I'm not too crazy about modern mainstream hard rock, with very few exceptions like Godsmack and Breaking Benjamin. There's a very recent wave of independent bands with a very stripped down approach that I really dig, like Highly Suspect, Royal Blood, and Crobot. Albums from Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, and 90s Metallica make up the majority of my older hard rock playlists. Even older stuff than that, like Guns N' Roses and AC/DC, I pretty much just classify as "classic rock".

concussionist

Yeah, I play in a hard rock band. Breaking Benjamin, Seether, and Chevelle are probably the band's biggest influences. One thing I've noticed is that we are the only band in our scene doing that style of music. We are in Lubbock, TX and everyone else in our area plays either southern rock or death metal. I guess that's a good thing, though. It is better to be different and stand out than to do what everyone else is doing.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
I agree with the rest of the "hard rock and metalcore are two totally different things" group here. I play in a hard rock band, or two, but I am not really a fan of any of the bands you mentioned, with the exception of maybe Slipknot. Not to sound like an elitist, which means I probably am, but I was a fan of BMTH in their Count You Blessing, Suicide Season era. As far as metalcore I was a big fan of the mid-late 2000s bands like Converge, Killswitch, As I Lay Dying, Parkway, but nothing in the genre really grabs my attention these days. What I have discovered these days is that there are a bunch of great "stoner rock" bands in my area that are incredibly heavy and have that passion I feel the metalcore bands have lost.

Elitist rant over.

belairien

Silver Member
Though closer to the post-hardcore early metalcore stuff, I really liked Poison the Well's early stuff. But their later stuff is far better.
I did dig some All that Remains.
And on the hard rock side, Evans Blue.
Not really a fan of metalcore or the "core" generes in general, but there are exceptions. And for me those exceptions tend to be either universally disliked or unknown to everyone around me. Bands like Thousand Falling Skies. Out of everyone I met, only one other person knew them haha.
I am also against Slipknot. They are more death metal to my ears, and to me, Death metal is more like Bloodbath or The Last Felony. If you like a bit more extreme, check that last one out. The lyrics are killer, and not cheesey Gore shock lyrics.