Any big name drummers do something to rub you the wrong way?

8Mile

Platinum Member
Mike Portnoy at a clinic. Spent the first 10 minutes complaining about the gear that didn't show up for the clinic that was supposed to be there (not sure what else he needed, looked like the identical kit that he was using on tour at the time. this was back after the Awake album) then in the middle of the clinic started a bash session on Tommy Lee, Lars Ulrich and a few others. Then tore into Rush bad mouthing them for them not blessing the 2112 project he put together, recorded and finished without any input from Rush then expected them to give praise and their blessing.

After that night didn't care if I ever heard him play again, lost any and all respect I had for him!! Total arrogant, self absorbed clown!
There are just way, way, way, way too many stories like this about the guy.

T

The Old Hyde

Well... of course I want to meet him...and talk...even if only for a min so he knows I exist!!! ....well..In the first 5 seconds of "hey youre carmen! how are you!? " ...he replied..."good good...but gimmie a sec" ...he then... proceeds to stroke his powerstache...and then take pictures,...of HIMSELF...with his cell phone...

did he talk to you after taking the picture? it sounds like you interrupted him. If he didnt talk to you when he finished i could see tour point.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Not really, although Jojo was a bit grumpy towards my son at a UK event I attended a few years ago.

I'd like to spin a positive though. At this year's London Drum Show, Derek Roddy took time out to come to our stand & meet up with some forum members. He'd been caught up signing autographs for longer than expected, but instead of leaving the show, he took time to hang with the guys after the show had closed. Not only that, he's one of the most accommodating & personable guys you could ever wish to meet.

I meet many high profile players, & it is indeed rare to find one who's a complete dick. Ok, sometimes these guys are very busy, sometimes (like all of us) they're pressured by something, but in the main, they're good guys. TBH, if you want to be successful in this game, being personable is a skillset on par with playing ability. Dicks rarely get work for long, but of course, there's always exceptions.

T

The Old Hyde

Andy thats cool to hear about Derrick. Just from this forum he sounds like a down to earth guy. He even posted condolences and prayers to Larrys thread.

K-HOVLAND

About ten years ago, one of my all time favorites,Deep Purple`s Ian Paice during his drum solo stopped playing threw his hands in the air and had a complete brain fart.I thought, wow Ian Paice ran out of ideas or he`s not feeling well.It rubbed me wrong that I had the fleeting image of me doing a Keith Moon tackle move on him and finishing the solo.-KH

Last edited:

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Well...I'm sure most of "us" drummers who want the spotlight would tremble at the thought of OUR names being brought into this... but ya know what?! ...if they did rub you wrong...teach those guys a lesson in manners ...here...with your words and your passion...

MY biggest "WTF" ..was at namm 2007... I had JUST broken a WFD world record...and I was flying so high...running around namm headhunting any familiar famous face I could find...and I bump into.... (drum roll please)

CARMINE APPICE!!!

Well... of course I want to meet him...and talk...even if only for a min so he knows I exist!!! ....well..In the first 5 seconds of "hey youre carmen! how are you!? " ...he replied..."good good...but gimmie a sec" ...he then... proceeds to stroke his powerstache...and then take pictures,...of HIMSELF...with his cell phone...while im on his glorious pause button...made me feel 2 inches high... but let me tell you Carmen...legend or not... your attitude sucked and your drumming is NOW mediocre at best...so sleep tight with your moustache and limos a$$hole. :)

Love Mike.
I've met Carmine a few times,and my experience was the complete opposite.

While he can be a little self aggrandizing at times,he's paid his dues and wouldn't still be in the game if he was constantly being a dick.Guys like that,no matter how good they are,usually get left at the side of the road,and thier phone stops ringing.

He does free clinics and is involved in music education for grade school children in the NY City public school system.Not many people know that about the guy.

He's been a working pro drummer and educator since the late 60's.He's a published author of one of the better rock drumming books out there,so I wouldn't describe his skills as mediocre.

Steve B

larryz

Platinum Member
Well at first I didn't think I had a story but in fact I do. Only because I just found out that Lenny Kravitz also considers himself a drummer. Had no idea. Saw his mug in a Ludwig catalog.

So Lenny and band come on after a killer opening set by The Black Crowes. This was mid 1990s. Lenny comes on with electric guitar strapped on. In middle of hisfirst song something happens with the sound or his guitar is not working, I forget. Lenny proceeds to do a Pete Townsend and takes of the guitar and smashes it on the stage repeatedly. Like a big crybaby. Then a minute later composes himself and says .. "sorry guys, it's all cool...peace and love...blah blah...". Weird.

edvia

Well at first I didn't think I had a story but in fact I do. Only because I just found out that Lenny Kravitz also considers himself a drummer. Had no idea. Saw his mug in a Ludwig catalog.
He's actually a pretty decent drummer, especially considering drums aren't his primary instrument. If you listen to any of his solo albums, that's him on drums (and nearly every other instrument, for that matter). In his videos from a while back, he used a bunch of other musicians to make it look like a full band, including Cindy Blackman (or should I say Cindy Blackman Santana) on drums. But it's him. Check out his album Circus for some good examples of his drumming.

Last edited:

HMNY

Silver Member
About ten years ago, one of my all time favorites,Deep Purple`s Ian Paice during his drum solo stopped playing threw his hands in the air and had a complete brain fart.I thought, wow Ian Paice ran out of ideas or he`s not feeling well.It rubbed me wrong that I had the fleeting image of me doing a Keith Moon tackle move on him and finishing the solo.-KH
What you do learn from this instance, is that even the good guys are human, and can have a bad day, and I would imagine he would have felt pretty bad not being able to complete his solo....(granted some guys seem to have worse 'bad' days) but it does make you realise that they are not deliberately aiming to ruin anyone's day, once in a while it just happens, and if you're in the public's eye, it's going to be noticed more.

Formless Method

Billy Cobham!!!

He came and did a clinic and mannnn was it a let down. it was so bad that no one was clapping and he kept playing and playing until a few people said woohoo, he then stopped and jumped off stage so he could at least end with someone clapping. His playing made me question why so many like him. Believe me I can sit and enjoy the most basic drummers but wow was his stuff boringgggg. He even pulled out 4 sticks and kinda played around but I was thinking, "you don't ever do something flashy unless you are a MASTERRRRR at it because if you fail while trying to be flashy it is really bad" He failed and it was bad.

Thennnn when he took questions one guy was a big fan and billy got smart with him and short because the guy was pasionate about billys history and technique and had asked Billy some in depth questions. Total waste of my time. You couldnt melt and poor me at another clinic of his. He didnt even tell us thanks, by, see yalater. Right in the middle of Q and A his wife walks in and says we gotta go and he just walked right out. It was kinda weird watching everyones head in the room turn slowly as he left. Weirdest clinic I have ever been to.

Mike Machine

WFD Champion
Heheh Sorry Bernhard...didn't intend to misspell Carmine.

As for did I interupt him? ...probably.

Did we talk after?...no because I got my picture and left immediately...I honestly had no interest in him after that...It's not like he said "excuse me"...or "sorry about that".

Justifying someones actions...especially rude actions...with their credentials from the past...to me...is just silly... and YES...he's been a legend longer than I've been breathing...but thats how TORCHES work in this world...you pass them on... for me its all about respecting that we ALL have paid our dues...drums aren't easy physically/mentally/socially... we got each other...and thats pretty much it!!!

I'm sure..I hit that 1 out of 9000 times he'd ever act that way to anyone... but it did happen...and I guess I needed to vent it... hopefully I'll meet Carmine again sometime and we'll shake hands with respect...not this Master and Dog bs you're using to justify...

AND lets not forget...Drummers...arent curing Aids or Cancers...we're professional Jesters in the REAL world.

Mike

Arky

Platinum Member
Mike Machine,
that was me ;-) You know, to post under my own username I have to switch accounts as working in "Bernhard mode" (what I'm doing most of the time) gives more access/power to fight spam while those folks are registering (thus, actually just a small percentage slips through). I do try to switch accounts or at least leave some info on the respective posts being edited by Arky though. Haha.

Yeah, learn to correctly spell those legendary drummers and I won't have to mess with people's posts ;-)

EDIT
Damn - I've overlooked some spelling mistakes and just corrected it at one spot. Anyway... haha. I see - ya shall have your revenge, Mike! ;-)