Another kit share story

Sebenza

Sorry, I'm not buying your high and mighty attitude toward people who make a mistake. If you are perfect, THEN and only then can you spout off about others- especially considering you have literally no idea what actually happened.

Personally, I wouldn't ask to borrow a cymbal, and I think it is bad form to do so, BUT...I wouldn't slam a guy who accidentally forgot something. I'd tell him that it's a bummer, but I prefer not to loan out my gear.

The comments slamming the guy for forgetting are ridiculous, I'm sorry to say. Slam him for asking, but not for forgetting.
Have you ever forgotten your gear when showing up at a gig? I know I haven't and I've been gigging since 1989. It's kinda hard playing music without your instrument, me thinks.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Have you ever forgotten your gear when showing up at a gig? I know I haven't and I've been gigging since 1989. It's kinda hard playing music without your instrument, me thinks.
I actually forgot my stick bag once. I laid it beside my cymbal bag with the intention of putting it into the car along with the rest of my gear. My wife was helping me load my gear into the car, so when I didn't see the stick bag, I assumed she had put it in the car. She thought I had put it in the car, when it had accidentally rolled off the cymbal bag and under the car. I realized the stick bag was missing when I got to the gig- an hour away from where I lived. (I was beyond pissed at the gig because I thought someone had stolen my stick bag.) I happened to have a pair of sticks in my cymbal bag, so I used those for the gig. Fortunately the sticks didn't break, and I didn't drop a stick all night. I found the stick bag the next morning when I moved the car. I usually have a checksheet to help me stay organized, for loading/unloading, but my wife wanted to help. What are you going to say? No?

Sh*t happens, even with the best of intentions. That's all I'm saying.

Juniper

Gold Member
I have been in an airport and a businessman accidentally left his laptop on the chair as he proceeded to board the plane. Someone was kind enough to point out the computer to him just before he boarded. He was thanking them repeatedly. I guarantee you, he used that computer to make $$$$. Sh*t happens and people make mistakes/forget things. All of these people jumping down people's throats for making a mistake are priceless. I hope you are completely flawless, never forget ANYTHING, etc... to be passing judgement like this.

And to be fair, I'm not saying I'd loan my gear to him, but I wouldn't be coming off as high and mighty as some on this thread.
In the interim of getting his back did he borrow someone else’s laptop and proceed to bash the hell out of it?

Would your view of the situation changed if he had? Cause that’s the main point/my intention of the thread.

Woolwich

Silver Member
Andy made an excellent point earlier up the thread. He, and I and probably most others, have sympathy for people who have had gear stolen, some form of incident or unusual breakage. However on the occasions that it’s laziness or ignorance then it’s a whole different matter. As the quote says, a lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Let’s kill arguments about pre arranged and agreed kit shares, and unexpected mid gig kit failures stone dead because these aren’t the point being discussed. If I see a drummer have a snare drum head split and it’s obviously because he’s a gear abuser then I won’t step up to help. However if the same happens and from watching it’s obvious that it’s a gear failure then I’d be there like a shot with my snare. If I agree in advance to let someone else use my kit then it’s on my head and I’ve got no one but myself to blame if it gets damaged, if I turn up and the pub has organised another band to play before us with no prior discussion then if they haven’t got their own kit they’re not playing.
In drumming, and in other endeavours outside of music, I’ve been stung in the past, unfortunately this means that the bad behaviour of people in the past have affected how I approach things now and in the future but we learn by experience both good and bad.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Sorry, I'm not buying your high and mighty attitude toward people who make a mistake. If you are perfect, THEN and only then can you spout off about others- especially considering you have literally no idea what actually happened.

The comments slamming the guy for forgetting are ridiculous, I'm sorry to say.
Why do all the threads regarding cheeky bastards who use and abuse your gear end up with the do-gooders arguing the toss? If you're cool with lending your stuff out do it, don't judge others who don't buy the sob stories. In this case I reckon the guy had broken all his cymbals or didn't have any and was trying it on. One of the oldest tricks in the book.

We all forget the odd thing or two over the years but if you have to use other peoples stuff respect it. Remember if someone won't let you use their stuff, it's tough shit, not their priority to make your gig happen.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Who The F*%K forgets the tools they need to make $$$?
Me.

Years ago I forgot my cymbals. I was lucky and the sound guy actually owned a music store near by. He was kind enough to open his shop and offer me whatever I wanted. I grabbed a pair of hats and a ride and thanked him profusely for bailing me out of the shit.

It happens. Even to the most professional of us.

As for the kit share. It's never been all that common in my circles. But of the few times that I have, I've been lucky. I've never had a horror story. I've seen plenty of guys that I've thanked all that is holy weren't using my gear though. So I know they're out there.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Why do all the threads regarding cheeky bastards who use and abuse your gear end up with the do-gooders arguing the toss? If you're cool with lending your stuff out do it, don't judge others who don't buy the sob stories. In this case I reckon the guy had broken all his cymbals or didn't have any and was trying it on. One of the oldest tricks in the book.

We all forget the odd thing or two over the years but if you have to use other peoples stuff respect it. Remember if someone won't let you use their stuff, it's tough shit, not their priority to make your gig happen.
Let’s be clear, I’m not defending this guy bashing someone else’s gear. I’m talking about people making huge generalizations about people forgetting something.

Last edited:

Chunkaway

Silver Member

Again, I have no problem bashing guys who abuse gear. But....take a look again at people making comments about ANYONE who forgets something. Those people are who my comments are directed toward.

So, for about the fourth time, I'm not suggesting people should loan gear, defending people who abuse gear, etc... I'm calling people out who make comments as if they are perfect. People f*ck up- sometimes for reasons beyond their control. Sometimes EVERY one of us needs help. Not everyone who makes a mistake is an a**hole or an idiot.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
In the interim of getting his back did he borrow someone else’s laptop and proceed to bash the hell out of it?

Would your view of the situation changed if he had? Cause that’s the main point/my intention of the thread.
If that's the main point of this thread, then perhaps you should call out the people who are making comments about people who forget stuff?

And if the guy had forgotten his computer, I'd like to think someone would have helped him out if he needed it. And for the fifth (sixth?) time, I'm not defending the guy who bashed someone else's gear.

Juniper

Gold Member
If that's the main point of this thread, then perhaps you should call out the people who are making comments about people who forget stuff?

And if the guy had forgotten his computer, I'd like to think someone would have helped him out if he needed it. And for the fifth (sixth?) time, I'm not defending the guy who bashed someone else's gear.
Why would I need to call them out? It’s a discussion forum where threads move and change. You have taken offence to some posts and have made your thoughts clear. Nothing on this thread offends me/irks me.

Your view (and everyone else’s) is still welcome, no one’s wrong or right. Everyone has a different opinion and that’s cool.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Why would I need to call them out? It’s a discussion forum where threads move and change. You have taken offence to some posts and have made your thoughts clear. Nothing on this thread offends me/irks me.

Your view (and everyone else’s) is still welcome, no one’s wrong or right. Everyone has a different opinion and that’s cool.
You are calling me out for being off the topic of the thread. That's why. However, I didn't start the going off topic bit, I merely responded to it. That's why I asked why you didn't call them out.

My feelings aren't hurt here, but I found it strange that you would single me out to identify as someone who went off topic, when clearly there were others before me.

Juniper

Gold Member
You are calling me out for being off the topic of the thread. That's why. However, I didn't start the going off topic bit, I merely responded to it. That's why I asked why you didn't call them out.

My feelings aren't hurt here, but I found it strange that you would single me out to identify as someone who went off topic, when clearly there were others before me.
My intention was not ‘calling you out’, it was a specific and polite question based on the specific scenario/story you posted - hence why I responded to you.

Again, I welcome your view - as I do everyone else’s on this thread regardless of the opinion.

The intention I mention is relating to the point of my original post. Not that someone had ‘the nerve’ to ask me, but the lack of respect to someone else’s gear. I don’t mind if the thread goes slightly off topic to cover the general gear share scenario, it’s all cool.

Again, all views are welcome!

Chunkaway

Silver Member
My intention was not ‘calling you out’, it was a specific and polite question based on the specific scenario/story you posted - hence why I responded to you.

Again, I welcome your view - as I do everyone else’s on this thread regardless of the opinion.

The intention I mention is relating to the point of my original post. Not that someone had ‘the nerve’ to ask me, but the lack of respect to someone else’s gear. I don’t mind if the thread goes slightly off topic to cover the general gear share scenario, it’s all cool.

Again, all views are welcome!
Appreciate the explanation.

M

MasterBlaster

As long as I knew the person and they'd take responsibility for ANY damage, I'd loan them anything.

That's just how nice a fellow I am!

Attachments