Another Girl Band / Cee Lo Thread Inspired

Witterings

Silver Member
After seeing the Cee Lo thread I thought I'd post this, it was Beyonce on X Factor a couple of years ago and I've saved it on hard disk recorder ever since but googled it just now to see if I could find it to post on here.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7q339_beyonce-if-i-were-a-boy-live-x-fact_music

Whilst drummers probably massively outnumber "The others" :) on this forum I'm sure we can all appreciate the other instruments as well.

All of the muso's are great and the drummers as tight as a ducks ass, if you listen to the track but really pay attention to whole build that starts around 2.55 ish shortly followed by the backing vocalist coming in BUT the reason I've kept this for 2 years now is the guitar solo that follows right down to the exit of the solo with the powerchord slidedowns around 3.27 - - - - in my mind absolutely brilliant !!!

Bearing in mind Louise Walsh has made a small fortune out of being able to pick bands / music when the camera pans back you can see he's totally into it rocking back and forward in his seat.
Often when nobody's at home apart from me I put this the TV and crank the surround sound up full tilt and keep replaying it from around 2.45 !!!!

God I love music !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep it simple

Platinum Member
the guitar solo that follows right down to the exit of the solo with the powerchord slidedowns around 3.27 - - - - in my mind absolutely brilliant !!!

God I love music !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, nothing like a bit of genius to set the fires burning. Stunning performance by all. So good to see a major name artist who can actually cut it!

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Very True !!!!

Here's one more that can as well, I love the drummers "feel" and his fill at 2.54 and how he / the bass player who's amasing gell although it's far more pronounced on a big screen / better quality off the DVD.
Got a link?--------------------

Witterings

Silver Member
Did you mean fill at 4:41? That's a cool micro change of vibe right there. I love that!
I really S**-.d up on this one as I played one version and then forgot to click paste with the link and then found another one that the timing was different but yes and thank you KIS bang on the fill I meant, it starts that bit early which is so lovely, not that but very hard if you see what I mean but I think you're bang on it anyway otherwise you wouldn't have queried it !!!!!
Listen to the fill on that link at 4.27 / 28 total proof that so often that less is more, it's just so subtle in my opion and yet I still smash 8 shades of whatsit out of them - - - - I may learn possibly learn one day :)

Witterings

Silver Member
Sorry - - - - me posting in my own thread again but one teacher I had who's seriously done the circuits said every drummer at a sound check goes for it big time. He said instead of that just sit and play the most solid groove and watch the sound engineers jaw drop and thoughout a whole gig if you're as solid as whatsit - - throw in just one F** off fill in the whole evening the audience will go away that night and say that drummer was F***--g unbelievable.

Maybe one day :)

J

Jennygirl

Have to admit I struggled with this one. Musically, I think it's awesome but find the guitarists' dancing way over the top - it's like they're trying too hard. Let it be natural not forced.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Sorry - - - - me posting in my own thread again but one teacher I had who's seriously done the circuits said every drummer at a sound check goes for it big time. He said instead of that just sit and play the most solid groove and watch the sound engineers jaw drop and thoughout a whole gig if you're as solid as whatsit - - throw in just one F** off fill in the whole evening the audience will go away that night and say that drummer was F***--g unbelievable.

Maybe one day :)
Your teacher obviously knew what he was talking about. Dare I say it? K.I.S. Simple can mean some complexity though. Essentially, do only what you rehearsed with the band. If yours is the kinda stuff that benefits from some bravado, fine, just stick to the script. It's the unscripted embelishment temptation that should be resisted. Think about it, if you have a 5 piece band, & each player decides to throw in something extra a few times per gig, that's a lot of unscripted stuff going on. The band goes from something that was tight in rehearsal, to something sloppy & unprofessional. Don't get me wrong, I love improv', but it has no place in most mainstream acts.