Another first

Pimento

If it comes to pass and actually happens, it was meant to be.
Why fight it?
I pick my fights. Quick story that gives me a bad attitude.

My police report had wrong info on it so I had to go there today to straighten it out.
Now remember this concerns my van getting stolen. A Sergeant pulls me into an interrogation room and starts questioning me.
"Pretty far to drive for a beer..." (referring to the fact I live 50 miles away from this bar)
But sir I don't drink, it messes w/ my motor skills and I was playing in the band, working.
"Do you owe money to anybody?"
Just my regular bills sir.
"Seems kind of funny that you get busted and then your van gets stolen, are you sure you don't owe money to anybody?"
Yes, I'm sure.
"So what is your drug of choice?"
What does that have to do with why I'm here today?
"Well you got caught w/ marijuana, don't you have a drug of choice?"
(I so wanted to say that his wife's genitals were my drug of choice)
Sir I was told to never answer those kinds of questions without a lawyer present.
"So you're not going to answer me?"
I said look man, I'm an upstanding citizen.

After that he got even more attitude becauser I called him man. He told me to address him as officer or sir. He thought I was being disrespectful to him. I was actually being familiar with him. He was just PO'd because I wouldn't fall into his little verbal trap.

Afterwards he inspected the damage to my van locks. My side door lock wasn't popped. He asked: "How did they get in the back, it was locked. I said You know, that's a great question.
"Well I'm waiting for an answer" (implying that I'm hiding something)
I deduced that they could reach past my saftey gate and pull the side door lock button up from the inside cab, and educated him how they likely did it.

Why didn't they dust for prints is what I want to know. The real lawbreakers held no interest for him.
The whole time I got the feeling that he was trying to imply that I am buying and or selling drugs in his town. Meanwhile real fingerprints of actual thieves were right there and were not even considered. That's lazy in my book.

This just really sours my attitude. Temporarily. I'm good now.

If it was in an interrogation room it should have been recorded, i might contact my lawyer to get a nice settlement for harassment on top of the insurance lol.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
If it was in an interrogation room it should have been recorded, i might contact my lawyer to get a nice settlement for harassment on top of the insurance lol.
I doubt it was recorded. As much as I want to file complaints against every one of the officers I dealt with, from the ones who arrested me to the one taking the police report after my truck got lifted, to especially this Sergeant today, I won't. They can't help it if their job transformed them into distasteful human beings.

I might as well just shoot myself in the foot if I complained, it would accomplish the same thing. I have to go to that town regularly. I'm not stupid enough to think I can cause them grief and get away with no further consequences. I'll be lucky if I have no further consequences as it is. I definitely get a genuine feeling that they will have no issue targeting me in the future. But it will be a waste of their time if they do. I'll just deal w/ it all out there and vent it all here, if y'all don't mind lol.
Now to do this gig, I have unload, drive a mile away and park the truck at a friends house, ask him to drive me to the bar, set up, play, breakdown, then get another ride to my truck , drive back and load out. My conspicuous van can't be seen parked anywhere near there anymore.

But I am making 30 bucks lol. Yea that's right one zero. But it's with the best musicians I personally know, so it's well worth it. And a lot of it is improv blues, the 2nd funnest thing I know to do.

The universe usually gives you what you deserve. I deserved what I got, somehow for something I've done in the past.. Everybody has to deal with unexpected aggravations, it's how you act while you're enduring it that defines you as a person.

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
Holy crap Larry. What a nightmare! Remind me not to play in that area....EVER. Funny thing is that two of my brothers live in Delaware County, in very upscale areas! I wish you the best in getting everything straightened out with the insurance company and these frauds of law enforement. Keeping a positive attitude, while not easy, will certainly help you through this.

For a contrasting story, my car was broken into about a year ago, right in my driveway. Maybe broken into is an exaggeration, since bonehead me forgot to lock the car that night. Duh. Anyway, I filed a police report with our local police department and they called me the next day saying they caught the perps (they were some young punks from a couple towns over doing a rash of burgularies). That day after work I went to the police station and they had all the stolen goods from several cars laid out on a big table. The cop asked me which stuff was mine, so I pointed out my GPS unit, CDs, etc. They put them in a bag, had me sign a form, and I was on my way. I think it certainly helped that I lived in the township. I made sure I thanked them up and down for their quick police work. You never know when you'll need them as allies, like when I got pulled over for exceeding the speed limit.... ;)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Just found out that it seems I was the victim of a recent surge in the theft, emptying, and releasing of contractor vans. My insurance agent informed me of this. He said in the last 2 weeks the amount of contractor van thefts in Philadelphia and the surrounding areas was unheard of.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Just found out that it seems I was the victim of a recent surge in the theft, emptying, and releasing of contractor vans. My insurance agent informed me of this. He said in the last 2 weeks the amount of contractor van thefts in Philadelphia and the surrounding areas was unheard of.
Which begs the question as to why the police were wasting time grilling you about that silly weed incident. Guess it's easier for crims to get away with things when some police are pretending to do their jobs by playing games.

uniongoon

Gold Member
I am not sure why, but cops only dust for prints in cases like homicides, I don't know if it is expensive, time consuming or what, but for car theft, home invasions etc. I have never heard of them doing it.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Which begs the question as to why the police were wasting time grilling you about that silly weed incident. Guess it's easier for crims to get away with things when some police are pretending to do their jobs by playing games.
It's easier to interrogate me for my crime, than dust a recovered van for prints, and enter them into the system. I get why he was trying to pump me for info, why not, I was right there, right? I get the feeling that even if I wasn't arrested 3 weeks prior, they still wouldn't have dusted for prints though. Just like uniongoon said. I also got the feeling that since I was arrested there 3 weeks prior, I had no right filing a police report and dealing with them in that capacity.. I guess car theft and a person losing 22 years worth of tools isn't worth investigating. He was more upset with me, a non violent, semi intelligent, responsible business owner, than a parasite thief who damaged property and stole from me. That's even a Commandment for Pete's sake. Isn't that backwards? Justice is extinct it seems.

diegobxr

Silver Member
Oh, man, that sucks. :(
All of it.. getting robbed, losing your stuff and then having to cope with useless resentful cops.

It seems like everywhere is the same. Down here you have to live equally afraid of thieves, adolescent killers and cops. Most of them don't do anything, a lot are involved in the felonies, and others are so frustrated with their reality that they seem to enjoy every chance they get to make honest people miserable.

Of course there are good ones out there doing their jobs and risking their lives in duty, but unfortunately it seems like most don't give a damn.

Anyway, be cool. It'll be over soon. And thank God that it's all material stuff. you can and you will get it back. Some things, the most valuable, you can't.

Cheers.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
It's easier to interrogate me for my crime, than dust a recovered van for prints, and enter them into the system. I get why he was trying to pump me for info, why not, I was right there, right? I get the feeling that even if I wasn't arrested 3 weeks prior, they still wouldn't have dusted for prints though. Just like uniongoon said. I also got the feeling that since I was arrested there 3 weeks prior, I had no right filing a police report and dealing with them in that capacity.. I guess car theft and a person losing 22 years worth of tools isn't worth investigating. He was more upset with me, a non violent, semi intelligent, responsible business owner, than a parasite thief who damaged property and stole from me. That's even a Commandment for Pete's sake. Isn't that backwards? Justice is extinct it seems.
Yep, some time ago I realised that justice exists only as a happy accident. Might-is-right is as relevant now as it was when we lived in mud huts. If you have the bucks, you're cool, if not then you're fair game if you fail to fly under the radar.

Pot has been a great thing for The War Against Drugs. Police can get a helicopter, fly over areas where some dumb hippies are sure to be growing, make the bust and then declare a Glorious Victory in The War in the media.

Meanwhile the Mr Bigs with their squillions and potent powders continue business mostly unchecked, unless they get on the wrong side of the wrong person. The system is corrupt. George Carlin had it worked out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi6XV8yBFoU

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
...Shock to the system! \m/
lol ... yeah, stating the bleeding obvious ... what gets me is people still keep hammering at politicians, as though the media barons would let them do anything not sanctioned by their Mr Big mates. They're just placeholders, readily interchangeable..

Yes - corruption is a bloody cancer devouring every country around the world...no exemptions, just quite few men and women are kept honest and honourable here and there.

lol ... yeah, stating the bleeding obvious ... what gets me is people still keep hammering at politicians, as though the media barons would let them do anything not sanctioned by their Mr Big mates. They're just placeholders, readily interchangeable..

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I can see why some non-Americans dislike America. The whole country is based on greed and power and money, to the detriment of everything else. The government and the law are the biggest threat to my personal and financial well being. How wrong is that?
Prohibition breeds crime and turns otherwise wonderful people into wonderful people who are now labeled as criminals. The law itself is morally illegal IMO.

diegobxr

Silver Member
Haha, I'm sure by now the FBI is already reading this thread.
Larry, Polly, watch out, any minute now the SWAT team is on your roofs. LOL. :p

Haha, cheers.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
The government and the law are the biggest threat to my personal and financial well being. How wrong is that?
Nope, the corporate masters who decide which government is in power (based on whether their policies are approved of by Ruper Murdoch). The government is just a shared services provider to the multinats and Mr Bigs .. how closely the multinats and Don Corleones are aligned or not, no one knows, except them.

Diego, I think it's unlikely that a dog will put too much focus on a couple of amoebas like Larry and me. They don't need a whole SWOT team to swat us, they just take the antibiotics of skewed public opinion to sideline millions of us at once :)