Announcement: Brady Drums to Close

bradydrums

It is with sadness that we announce our decision to close Brady Drums.
In recent years, our founder and master craftsman, Chris Brady has battled a number of serious health concerns, including a mild stroke. Thankfully, the stroke left no serious damage, however Chris still continues to battle two other chronic conditions.

Subsequently, regulations set forth by the Australian Corporations Act 2001 (Sect. 201(A)) required us to look at alternatives to our business structure and operations, including but not limited to, the possibilities of moving overseas, or an acquisition to a larger manufacturer or moving operations to another entity. Ultimately, none of these options would ensure that our vision for our instruments and how they should be represented would remain intact so we have chosen for the BRADY brand to have a graceful exit from the marketplace at this time, effective immediately.

The Brady family continues to retain ownership of the BRADY trademark. As his health permits, Chris will continue to develop new concepts and even handcraft the occasional BRADY drum from time to time, however we expect this to be sporadic and small-scale in nature.

We are truly, deeply humbled by the way that our fellow drummers around the world have embraced our handcrafted instruments with the same fierce passion we have had in creating them. As Chris was handcrafting his very first drums in garage of our home in Roleystone, Western Australia in 1980, he never could have imagined that his curiosity to seek out new sounds for drummers would have resulted in a worldwide reputation. We are proud that our unique BRADY sound has pioneered acceptance in the international marketplace for instruments crafted from exotic and indigenous species by other superb Australian companies like Sleishman, Fidock, Metro Drum Co, Red Rock Drums, Evetts Drums and SIA Drums.

We would also like to give recognition to the small handful of talented individuals who have worked alongside the Brady family to bring our instruments to the world. Thank you.

No words can adequately express our gratitude to you all for your 35 years of support. It has been a magnificent journey.

The Brady Family

Last edited:
M

Matt Bo Eder

Well congratulations on making it this far! Your drums are magnificent. I wish you all the best in the future!

Captain Bash

Silver Member
That is sad news, as a owner of two Brady snares all I can say is thanks, your instruments make me smile every time I set-up my kit for a gig.

Hope all goes well in the future.

Icetech

Gold Member
Anyone know if that guy thats been waiting like 6 months for a replacement ever got his? or just SOL now?

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Kelly, although I was aware you were to make an announcement, I didn't expect your decision to retire the Brady name. I can't tell you how impressed I am by Chris' & your desire to maintain integrity in the name through the quality of instruments produced. I'm sure there's a host of companies who would gladly ride on the back of the brand reputation so carefully built by the family, but I can think of few who would genuinely retain the focus on quality characterful instruments, or indeed have the skills to pull it off.

Both Dean & I are admirers of Chris' work, & your efforts in forging forward under difficult circumstances. We hope Chris finds the space & health to continue his passion without the stresses that go with keeping an organisation going, & you find your happy space too.

Juniper

Gold Member
Anyone know if that guy thats been waiting like 6 months for a replacement ever got his? or just SOL now?
Dude....

Anyway, Kelly I'm a long time admirer of your drums. Health is more important at the end of the day.

Really sorry to see the brand shut down on it's current scale but most of all I wish you and your family all the best for the future.

Grolubao

Brady made exceptional instruments but as a brand didn't know how to manage their clients properly, so all in all I'm not surprised by this.

Icetech

Gold Member
Ahh.. thanks kelly.. and sorry to hear it. as a business owner i dread that day more than anything. good luck to you.

StaggerLee

Silver Member
Whilst i have not owned a brady snare, and personally tended not to be fond of them, i saw and understood the level of craftsmanship and care that went into building these works of art. You will be sorely missed brady.

steadypocket

Gold Member
I hope Chris is able to put those health challenges behind him. Brady's legacy in the industry is secured and I'm glad you guys aren't selling out to someone who might tarnish the great reputation you've earned. My two Brady block snares are keepers that I'll treasure. Been looking for a ply jarrah drum here in the States but haven't found the right one.

Mikedrums78

Hey guys, yes Kelly has been keeping contact with me via text/phone quite often. I am honestly surprised at the news, although I knew some insider info about what was going on in the company, didn`t expect this at all.

Looks like Chris will be repairing my snare himself and I`ll either get a repaired original snare or a different replacement depending on certain circumstances that I don`t know if I`m allowed to share on this board at this time.

I may even get my original snare turned into a baritone version, if tooling allows.

So no, I haven`t been dumped to the side or forgotten, but it has just been taking some time due to all that has been happening with Brady.

Its a frustrating experience for both parties, but all I can do is wait and have faith in Chris and Kelly.

D

drumming sort of person

This is very, very sad news. I wish the best for Chris and everyone else in the Brady family and business. I wish someone else in the family was able to take the reigns and carry on, but I guess it's not to be.

Brady drums are truly spectacular instruments.

Frank

Gold Member
It sounds like only the chief was building.
If true, that's quite a feat - building a great product and such significant brand recognition almost single handed.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
"A man who works with his hands is a laborer;
a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman;
but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist."
--Louis Nizer

Brady crew: thanks for raising the bar and for your artistry.

Mendozart

Platinum Member
"A man who works with his hands is a laborer;
a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman;
but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist."
--Louis Nizer

Brady crew: thanks for raising the bar and for your artistry.
I love this quote, thanks for posting.

Kelly,

I'm so sorry to hear this, but I'm glad to hear your Dad is ok. You will be sorely missed at NAMM and in the circle of master building drum companies. Good luck in the future, and God bless.

Greg

Skrivarna

Ouch! This is so sad news. Brady is one of the few drum makers that produce(d) easily identifiable and consistently great sounding instruments.

I remember my first trip to NAMM and the disappointment when I came to the drum hall and understood that the noise would make it impossible to hear all the beautiful drums exposed there. So I just strolled around, mostly looking and occasionally hitting something, until I heard these really exceptionally sounding drums in the Brady booth! I just couldn't believe it - beautifully crafted, carefully tuned and just perfect sounding. That made my day.

And now I hear you will not be there in January...

Bonzodownunder

FWIW/IMHO i'm suprised with the prices they charge for there drums especially here in OZ that they didn't close earlier&sooner!.I'm just aghast& at a loss to justify there&other 'boutique/custom" drum makers&DW's prices!.I mean unless you're prepared to give blood&or moratage your house or an endorser WHO can afford these drums?.