Anika Nilles' Synergy of 4/4, 3/4 and 6/8

I was indeed wrong to have claimed that all the 3 time signatures are the same. They're fundamentally really different. But I just think they also can be the same in a lot of ways depending on the music, like for example in afro-cuban music where 6/8 and 4/4 are being imposed at the same time.

But I apologise to all for my dastardly claim. They're still different time signatures

Metric Modulation =/= 4/4, 3/4, and 6/8 are the same time signature.
Being generous, I think there's something to that idea. You can superimpose 4/4 on top of those time signatures. The whole point is that you make the listener hear a subdivision other than the natural/established one as the pulse.

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
Superimposing one time signature on top of another does not mean they are all the same.

And 6/8 is not the same as 3/4. A blues shuffle is in 6/8, a waltz is in 3/4. The feel is different when the 8th note is the pulse as compared to the quarter.
In 6/8, the pulse is the dotted quarter note.

But you're right when you say that superimposing one time signature on top of another doesn't make them the same.

I would say that it is interesting to superimpose them BECAUSE they are different.

This Frank Zappa composition goes from 3/4 to 6/8 and is perhaps a little more interesting musically than the previous example.
Frank Zappa - Let's move to Cleveland

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
Superimposing one time signature on top of another does not mean they are all the same.

And 6/8 is not the same as 3/4. A blues shuffle is in 6/8, a waltz is in 3/4. The feel is different when the 8th note is the pulse as compared to the quarter.

It's about metric modulation, I'd say it's explained fairly clearly! Though, I wish there were more detail about the song itself.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Watched the first minute or so, and it sounds like bullshit to me.

Just because you're playing a 3 feel in 4/4 doesn't mean its 3/4. You know what's definitively 3/4? A waltz. Does a waltz sound like its in 4? Not even close.

Then when it went into the 6/8, the 'click' changed tempos completely. How is that supposed to relate to anything that was being done in 4? It was at least definitely in 6/8, but it had no relation to the original 4/4 feel. It was a time signature change.....you get those all the time in prog.

Sounds like the guy who made the video was trying to prove something that just wasn't there, like there was some sort of eureka moment that didn't exist.