Andy inspired me to demo some of my snare drums.

BillRayDrums

Gold Member
So Andy inspired me to create some demos of the snares I'm using lately. It's not all of them but a good representation of what makes my sound what it is. :D

They are by no means a "template" such as playing a specific routine, but rather me taking the drum where it feels good. I tried to incorporate as much dynamic as possible.

At any rate, not wanting to hijack his thread so I created my own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1-Se-qsgUs&list=PLbWJRiP-bPyZwA9uA9HLQZ1dMAD9xleu2&index=5

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Well Bill, I'm torn on this.

On one side, I'm please, nay amazed, that I inspired anyone to do anything.

On the other side, damn you and your vastly superior advanced playing!!! :(

Seriously, is most of the sound on these recordings coming from the close mic'?

BillRayDrums

Gold Member
Well Bill, I'm torn on this.

On one side, I'm please, nay amazed, that I inspired anyone to do anything.

On the other side, damn you and your vastly superior advanced playing!!! :(

Seriously, is most of the sound on these recordings coming from the close mic'?
Andy I have the whole kit mic'd up and while most of the sound comes from the close mic the "underheads" as I call them (I mic from the underneath) are also catching some of the snare sound so that brings in a bit more "room" sound.

Thanks for the props on my playing! I was just foolin' around... That seems to be when I play at my best!

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
That Koa Cherry has a beautiful sound. I really enjoyed listening you you play it.

Last edited:

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Don't waste your time changing snares, Bill -- you're one of those who can make anything sound good. There's never any indication that you're ever sweatin' it or doing anything that's not simply flowing from the reservoir. If you'd been around back in the '70's, your name would be a common household moniker now. I'm embarrassing myself slobbering all over you like this, but you're a natural.

GeeDeeEmm

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Snare and the rest of the kit for that matter sounded great to me. The playing was also great, smooth, fluid and dynamic. Nice chops.

BillRayDrums

Gold Member
Don't waste your time changing snares, Bill -- you're one of those who can make anything sound good. There's never any indication that you're ever sweatin' it or doing anything that's not simply flowing from the reservoir. If you'd been around back in the '70's, your name would be a common household moniker now. I'm embarrassing myself slobbering all over you like this, but you're a natural.

GeeDeeEmm

LOL thanks guys! I came out of Jackson, MS and the drum shop we hung out at (George's Drum Shop) was the flashpoint for many a great drummer. It's where Keith Carlock got his start as well as so many others.

And whodathunkit...Jackson, Mississippi. WOW :D

Zinnman

Your playing and the drums sound great. And hail to the State of Mississippi! Something in the water, and that delta area for the blues. I was born in Columbus myself. We have soul man!