And it gets busy. Again.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Good luck Bo sounds like a great opportunity. At the risk of sounding thick can you explain the Bonham newspaper thingy please. ;-D
I read in an interview that Bonham used to shred newspaper and maybe fill a quarter of the bass drum with it for his muffling. Then his tech at one show, when he was changing heads, forgot to put the paper back in and left it wide open, giving him this incredibly loud bellowing sound and Bonham went with it. But it would be cool to try these techniques.

Or wide open is what I think I'll end up with ;)

alparrott

Platinum Member
Can't wait for the videos. Looks like we'll both be having fun this summer, bud! Break a leg, eh?

Gaz1965

Good luck Bo sounds like a great opportunity. At the risk of sounding thick can you explain the Bonham newspaper thingy please. ;-D

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Sounds like a unique opportunity, Bo- and I'm a little envious since I've been yearning for my percussion instructor to add drumset to the marching band :) I wish you luck in your loud-ifying efforts!
And just last night the wife and I went to a drum corps show and saw the Blue Devils get beaten by Carolina Crown. But the Blues totally had a great sound. They mixed synthesizer and drumset into their sound but nothing stuck out like it didn't belong. Theirs was a way-out show, but sonically everything felt like it belonged where it was. DCI will be interesting this year come August.

In my situation I'll have to contend with an additional snare drummer and a percussion player, so that'll be different as well. I'm used to having free-reign ;)

porter

Platinum Member
Sounds like a unique opportunity, Bo- and I'm a little envious since I've been yearning for my percussion instructor to add drumset to the marching band :) I wish you luck in your loud-ifying efforts!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Good fun Bo :) Black dots should do the volume thing for you perfectly, especially on the 26" bass drum. Wide open big drums + horns = fecking superb!
I might even try that Bonham thing of putting cut-up newspaper in the bass drum too. It's nice to have a chance to actually try this out in a musical situation. That's really exciting!

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Good fun Bo :) Black dots should do the volume thing for you perfectly, especially on the 26" bass drum. Wide open big drums + horns = fecking superb!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So whadaya know. As soon as I report in that I get to slow down a little bit, get to take care of the gear and get some relaxing in, things pick up. My drum & bugle corps friends have specifically requested me by name to be their drumset player of choice and have decided that since I couldn't pay for the plane ticket or hotel for our big trip to Annapolis this year for DCA, that they would be paying for it.

Needless to say, I'm quite floored.

So the wheels are beginning to turn and arrangements are being made. I've contacted my point man at the Naval Academy to arrange for a drumset when I arrive. There's a couple of local shows before we head east so those are now on the calendar too. And as I look at my calendar now, summer'll be over before I know it.

I'm quite excited because I've just put some new black dots on my toms, and I'm waiting for the weekend to head out to Pro Drum to pick up a 26" black dot for my bass drum. I'm going to try it without any muffling and also with a felt strip. I'm hoping I can get an acceptable sound with nothing in the drum since we're playing outside anyway. But this is my chance to see how loud I can actually make this kit so I'm looking forward to getting to experiment with this in an actual musical situation for once ;)

Once I finish up this commitment, it'll be the top of September and the show choir wheels start to turn again. I guess I should just assume this is never gonna stop.

Stay tuned for a recording of the wide open zep kit in action with a bunch of horns. It might be my new sound since I need to be as loud as I can be in most of my playing situations! Like I'm complaining ;)