And i tought i like jazz... (festival report)

Messerschmitt

Hey guys,

Just came home from the last day if this year`s edition of Samfest Jazz, my local annual jazz festival. The last 3 days, i must say, really changed my perception on how i see music and what i like and do not like.

In the first day we got some Romanian groups, June Trip (a vocal -guitar duo, pretty interesting moody stuff), Jazzapella (an acapella sextet , very awesome people and voices. One of the guys was a living bass, lol!) and Fusioncore, wich was pretty interesting from the drummer`s POV.

In the second day, the bands that performed were Meadow (Norway/UK band, 90% improv, pretty boring for me) and Portico Quartet, a band composed of some young folks from London.

Today (the last day) , the performers were Djabe from Hungary and Adam Baldych Quintet from Poland.

First of all, i must admit this was my second jazz festival i ever attended, and the first indoor one. I really, really like listening to a band in an seated manner (the venue was our town`s philarmonic ). It`s more comfortable and i feel you get a better understanding of the band`s emotions and vibe.You can also see better what the band is doing than you would on an outdoor venue.

I liked the acapella idea , even though i know it ain`t something new, but it really caught me.

I tought 16 inch bass drums sound like a joke. And.... they do! :)). The drummer from Meadow got one and altrough he rarely played it, I didn`t like the sound.

The guys from Portico Quartet were really awesome. Two hang`s, one saxophonist, drummer, upright bass and lots of samplers and electronic effects. I`m not into electronic stuff but they really got me with their vibe. I am totally against electronic drums and sampling pads but they worked well in this context.

Djabe were pretty cool, Mezzoforte-like, and i could see the drummer`s influence from Dave Weckl, lol!. The bassist threw in some crazy slaps and basically he was the band`s "piece de resistance". The trumpet player was also a violinist and he was constantly throwing in some tasty stuff.

The last band was THE most awesome band from the festival and probbably the best band i ever heard so far.
It was a quintet composed of a violinist, piano player, bassist, drummer and saxophonist.
The bassist got solid groove, the violinist was lightning fast and the drumming was very tasty. It`s like they were in a constant solo! Always throwing out 130%. I discovered i love the sound of a riveted ride and crashes...

I`m still under the influence of what i felt there and i`m not sure if this post has any sense, i just want to share with you the joy i got in these 3 days. I can`t believe what i was missing all these years!

Here are a few tracks i enjoyed the most:

Portico Quartet - Ruins

Djabe - Erdő, erdő

Unfortunately i couldn`t find any recordings with Adam Baldych Quintet on the internet and didn`t have the money to buy any albums...

So, to continue the title sentence: I thought i like jazz... I was wrong, I LOVE IT!

Numberless

Platinum Member
I get you man, everytime I come home from an awesome show I feel so inspired and motivated to go practice and play better.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
The Portico Quartet are great. A friend of mine played them to me at University and I instantly liked their sound. The Hang really adds something different to what could otherwise be stilted and stale - they work together brilliantly.

nickg

Silver Member
being Romanian, you had me at "Romanian groups"...i'd love to hear that stuff for sure!!!

markdrum

Silver Member
Thanks for posting this. It's always good to get turned on to new music. It looks like I'm going CD shopping. You gotta support these folks. Keeps them in business.

Portico Quartet are great, but I much prefered their older stuff in comparison to their newer, more electronic influenced stuff.

The Glasgow Jazz Festival starts today, and Im going to see the Robert Glasper Experiment tomorrow, needless to say, Im excited. I hope Chris Dave is there playing with him.

Messerschmitt

Portico Quartet are great, but I much prefered their older stuff in comparison to their newer, more electronic influenced stuff.

The Glasgow Jazz Festival starts today, and Im going to see the Robert Glasper Experiment tomorrow, needless to say, Im excited. I hope Chris Dave is there playing with him.
They sound really cool! Thanks for sharing! Have fun and post a report in here if you`d like!