an interesting read about Guitar Center.....

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
There's been a few times that I've taken short plane rides to check out drums and cymbals. Two hour drives are nothing if you're interested in a piece of equipment.

Dennis
Depends on the price. You could spend more than $100 in gas alone driving 2 hours each way to a drum store.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
There are two kinds of "mom and pop" stores that I've encountered. There is the musician oriented specialty shop. Might be drums, acoustic guitars, vintage stuff, high end amps or whatever but they are typically focused on a market. People come from far and wide because these shops have things that can't be found at a chain store or the other kind of mom and pop. Which is the generalized music store. Most of these make most of their money selling sheet music for band students and hosting lessons. A few things in every category, usually of the student/low end variety. And fairly high prices. What little they manage to sell, they have to get all the margin they can on. Other than being a place for local school band kids to get reeds and books, most of the other junk just sits around gathering dust until some uninformed parent decides to get their kid into music and buys something. These are the mom and pops that were hurt first by the chain stores and then by the internet. If some kid sticks with music and looks around a bit, they quickly learn how badly their parents got ripped off by these stores and won't go there anymore unless they need a string/sticks/reed or something at the last minute and it's the only place in range. These store owners cut their own throats. They are stuck in the '60s thinking that men will always need hats (as the milliner told his son).

Bull

Gold Member
I grew up in a small town in MS. We had one music store.It was a a locally owned business that later became part of a statewide chain. They only carried Promark sticks. In the early 80s,they charged $11 a pair for them. A 14" Remo CS was $17. I am talking about the early 80s here! They made their money off pianos, organs,and ripping off band parents. I moved to New Orleans in 1985 and almost fainted, when I found out that sticks were $5 or less.

A

audiotech

Depends on the price. You could spend more than $100 in gas alone driving 2 hours each way to a drum store.
I would sell the gas guzzling 8 cylinder if I were you. Or at least give the poor thing a tune-up.

Dennis

HGinCT

The best and only dedicated drum shop in Connecticut is http://www.dynamicpercussion.com/
yeah I've heard about that place before and it's on the other side of the state. It would never be my usual stop for drum gear (I'd rather suck it up and go to Guitar Center) but if I was going to make a big purchase like my next kit, they'd be on the list. It's just too far for me, assuming no traffic, I'm looking at a 3 hour round trip.

brady

Platinum Member
I grew up in a small town in MS. We had one music store.It was a a locally owned business that later became part of a statewide chain. They only carried Promark sticks. In the early 80s,they charged $11 a pair for them. A 14" Remo CS was $17. I am talking about the early 80s here! They made their money off pianos, organs,and ripping off band parents. I moved to New Orleans in 1985 and almost fainted, when I found out that sticks were $5 or less.
Schmitt Music is one of the worst for this. They seem to be all about ripping off unsuspecting parents.

I went into one a while back and promptly left when I saw drumsticks for $17.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Schmitt Music is one of the worst for this. They seem to be all about ripping off unsuspecting parents.

I went into one a while back and promptly left when I saw drumsticks for $17.
Yep, we've got one of those places in town... They have tags on 18" crash cymbals that read 695.00 and the sign on the cymbal rack proudly says, "All cymbals 50% off!"

A-customs

Silver Member
Im Near Atlantic City,and GC is where i go for sticks etc.........,There is A Sam Ash a hour away as well that i like.But gone is the few Music Shops that Carry lots of Drum Gear.....There are A Few Piano, Guitar shops,With a cheapo drum kit,but as far as a great percussion shop Theres GC or the internet,sad to say.