American Idol.. And Its Affect On Modern Music.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I'm sorry. Maybe it is just me. But these sites just make me feel upset and defensive. Probably because of my past. I don't know. I was hoping for better things here. I'm sure I will just get banned from here defending my self just like the last two sites. It is a dark world.
Not sure why you should feel this way or think you'll be banned. Your post was perfectly reasonable and well expressed. So you don't agree with everyone in some topics ... that's a good thing. I've been (usually) peacefully disagreeing with people here for thousands of posts. It's all fine. Be pretty dull if we all agreed all the time, eh?

Keep up the good work :)

shadowlorde

I'm sorry. Maybe it is just me. But these sites just make me feel upset and defensive. Probably because of my past. I don't know. I was hoping for better things here. If what I said in my post about American Idol, does not hold any water, than I definitely should not be here. I'm sure I will just get banned from here defending my self just like the last two sites. It is a dark world. If you want to talk to me, then I will be at my site. It is lonely there, but I don't need to up my meds. :) Sorry it didn't work out here.

.. chill out dude ... we all have our side on pointless issues .. and on top of that .. text is hard to interperet vs actual talking to a human with vocal inflection and body language .. just chill and have fun .. don't take everything so seriously .... .. like i said in a different thread .. IT'S THE INTERNET! .. laugh off the stupidity and keep on voicing your opinion ... just know .. in the past like 5 hours we were arguing on pointless crap .. i really don't care .. .. you could blast me out to no end .. and it doesn't matter .. letters on a glorified tv screen from someone you don't know upsets you? come on dude .. it's one thing to be upset about pissing off your best friend .. it's another thing to cry about something smurflord666 ( random collection of letters and numbers you can't put to a face )posted about his thoughts on the immorality of not being a scientologist on a drumming site

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I'm sorry. Maybe it is just me. But these sites just make me feel upset and defensive. Probably because of my past. I don't know. I was hoping for better things here. If what I said in my post about American Idol, does not hold any water, than I definitely should not be here. I'm sure I will just get banned from here defending my self just like the last two sites. It is a dark world. If you want to talk to me, then I will be at my site. It is lonely there, but I don't need to up my meds. :) Sorry it didn't work out here.
It's called a discussion.

In any discussion, people are going to have a variety of view points. Most people just want to give their cents, and not get into a heated debate.

The whole world is about different view points (see any election process).

I don't like, or agree, with every last thing said on here, even by some people I highly respect and like. But so be it, variety is the spice of life.

I do think you made an interesting point. A lot of young people are exposed to music they otherwise wouldn't hear.
Much like Rock Band has made millions of kids aware of classic rock songs they might not otherwise hear.
I never thought of it that way.

But, still, I have zero interest in watching that show. It is still gloried karaoke in my opinion, and I am not a fan of karaoke.

As I've said in other threads, there are thousands of bands out there putting out albums every day, and only 24 hours in any given day for me to listen to them. So, we all have no choice but to pick and chose what we wish to listen to, because no one can listen to it all. Personally, I would rather work on my own music, or listen to anyone of the hundreds of CD's I own, over watching most TV shows. If you feel differently, so be it. But it's not worth getting upset over.

Some of my favorite bands get slammed on here on a regular basis. So be it. That is one less person in front of me to buy tickets when they come to town.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Not sure why you should feel this way or think you'll be banned. Your post was perfectly reasonable and well expressed. So you don't agree with everyone in some topics ... that's a good thing. I've been (usually) peacefully disagreeing with people here for thousands of posts. It's all fine. Be pretty dull if we all agreed all the time, eh?

Keep up the good work :)
+1 from me. Maybe you've had more than your fair share recently, of views that oppose yours. So what! That simply means you have a POV. Drummers merely represent a cross section of society, except usually not as bright & with bigger ego's than guitarists, especially jazz & metal drummers with small kits that use trad grip.

Now, just sit back & see what happens as a result of that last statement.

See, I told you, feel better? Now we're about even, lol!

nocTurnal

Off topic; EH, I think Affect is used correctly here as a verb to decsribe influence over something. Effect in this context would be used to describe a conclusion. Just saying.
I knew I made the mistake with "affect" in the title after I posted that. If you noticed, I did use "effect" in the original post itself. I went to edit the post, and remembered that The Walt Disney Company has prevented that. They are quick to ban people who swear or delete threads with swears, but don't allow editing of title even within five minutes.

nocTurnal

Let me start off by saying I love to hear people that can sing. Even in rock, or Metal. If the guy can sing I listen. American Idol has been a great avenue for kids in America that can actually sing, to get a chance to do so.

As far as its affect on todays music. Not sure if it is changing it a whole bunch, but if you have seen the show, you would know that the music is always top notch. The musicianship is fantastic. The genres of music they cover are vast. Kids watching at home get to see some fantastic artists from the past and present that they would otherwise never see or hear their music. I wish I had a better memory to list the greats that have been on there, but each show takes a specific artists music and celebrates it. Just last week they got to see Tom Jones, Gladis NIght, Tonny Bennet.

The judges on the show also give the people at home a better feeling about the music industry by showcasing some cool people as judges, and mentors. This years group especially.

Sorry for the long post, but I really don't see all the negativity that many of you see.

Hey sticks. Excellent post you made on your feelings of American Idol. Honestly, this is more in line to my feelings than what anyone else has said here. I'm not kidding. I hope I didn't sound too negative in my orignial post. I don't think I really meant to say that because of AI that modern music has suffered. I think maybe my point was that the number itunes sales really is dominated by AI at times when show is in season. So my thinking was that maybe the attention of other music is being taken away by the show. It was just a theory.

I used to be a really negative thinker, so I know exactly what you're talking about. Most people are negative thinkers. I used to have these "oh, music shouldn't be a contest" type of attitude towards the show. But you really put it well here. A "celebration of music" is exactly how we should look at it. Because I know that the Academy Awards show is a celebration of movies. Many people don't understand that. They think it's a night out for the Hollywood elite and nothing else. I've watched Oscar night since I was a kid. And I've encountered so many negative thinkers who just don't get it. And I think it's the same way with AI. Thank you for your very thoughtful post. My mind had already shifted towards a positive one towards the show... but I think your post certainly helps solidify that mental shift.

Mikecore

Silver Member
I think there is a certain amount of accessibility the goes with a show like "Idol", and while I can appreciate a really good singer, the fact is that it's a lot easier to try your hand at singing than it is to operate an instrument of some sort. If there was a show called "American Drummer" which dealt with US the way Idol does with singers, I would be all over it. As it stands I can't sing with a gun to my noodle, so I know ahead of time to stay home when Idol is holding auditions.

There was a show for a couple of seasons that featured full bands in the same kind of contest (Sheila E. was one of the judges), but something like that has limited appeal to a broad audience because not everybody has the intestinal fortitude to pick up an instrument and really try to nail it. They simply cannot relate to it like they can with American Idol, and it works because even the people who can't actually sing at least THINK they can, and that can be entertaining in a strange way too. Generally, instrumentalists are the only ones likely to think they would have a shot at a show that features full bands.

As for the effect on pop music...it can't be any worse than some of the things the biz comes up with WITHOUT any help from a TV show. Remember Star Search? Not a lot of future Neil Pearts or Steve Vais coming out of THAT either. Yes, it's lowest common denominator. That's what people with lots of money expect for their investment in some entertainment object, and the difference between that approach and something like The Mothers of Invention or Beefheart's Magic Band is what made Zappa and Don Vliet pioneers who were willing to take a chance on the substance rather than the sales.

Thesleepingwell

American Idol gave us Kelly Clarkson so I won't knock it.
But some points have been raised here. I don't really follow these kind of shows though.

And honestly, the idea of a Drummer Idol competition would be cool!