Alcohol and playing

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I'll have a few beers over the course of the night. There's a big difference between drinking and getting drunk that's often being overlooked in this thread IMHO.

jon e rotten

I'll have a few beers over the course of the night. There's a big difference between drinking and getting drunk that's often being overlooked in this thread IMHO.
I'm with you on this one. I' m starting to think I exist in an alternate universe. I understand if you're playing really demanding music, but you can't have a few drinks and play Brown Eyed Girl?

Scorched

The stuff I play is physically and mentally demanding for me atm so getting drunk or stoned or whatever before a gig is a big no no. The most I've drank before a gig was 1 pint about 2 hours before we were on, and I wasn't ever sure if that was a great idea.

chathamight

don't get plastered for gigs.

if not for screwing up the tunes, or coming off as a jerk to chicks, then don't do it because of your equipment you saved so hard to acquire.

i love my gear. if you're on a bill with three other bands and people are sharing equipment, it's hard enough to keep track of everything sober. get wasted and you're bound to forget/lose something. i'm not willing to take that chance...

play an awesome show, pack up all your stuff in the ride, make sure you and your bandmates/buddies have a safe way home from the gig, THEN do what you like...

Nick G.

ive been at a party once were there was a drum kit, i wasnt wasted but i wasnt sober either

i hated the feeling, it just didnt feel right

i wont be drinking before i play anytime soon :D
or if i did it would be a nice sprite or innocent smoothie :p

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Yup. It depends on a lot of things. Booze in any quantity does affect coordination. Fact. However, nervousness can affect coordination too. A moderate amount of booze can act as a relaxant and improve the performance of some players who are prone to nerves.

In the old days I would be very intense before gigs. Of course I always had the nonchalant face on but inside I'd be wired, especially in venues I'd not played in before. Having a drink before playing in a new venue was a way of settling into the vibe of the place, just settling down. I think it helped rather than hindered.

The ideal would have been a lack of nerves and no alcohol but the ideal doesn't seem too common in this life. I admit to also sometimes using other things before gigs, some of which were worse for my playing (i.e. I experimented to see what would help with my nervousness) and a couple of things that definitely improved my playing - not just to my ears, but based on feedback from our regulars.

For some reason, in public conversations many people fail to distinguish between use and abuse of chemicals (or anything, for that matter), which I find odd since there's a vast chasm between use and abuse. It's as blind as not being able to tell the difference between a Chihuahua and a Great Dane.

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
Thought I might throw this in.....whenever slash had a gig, over the course of the day he would drink 1 gallon of vodka.......I could'nt do that in a month.

was he just exceptionally talented? Don't think so, imo you can get used to it....god knows he did

yesdog

Silver Member
I don't drink and drum, if I have one beer it throws me off. Besides for me playing music is a high in its self. There is nothing better than a cold beer after the show.

Malti

Why not, Malti? What happens?
I'm taking an antidepressant thant intensifies the effect of alcohol. The other night I had a glass of Chardonnay and a nonalcoholic beer. You'd have thought I was dropping Jaeger Bombs all night. On the bright side, I never get hangovers and I'm a really cheap date!!

eamesuser

Silver Member
I think it is a personal thing,And I have known some players that play worse sober,only a couple,but they do exist.I have only played really drunk on a couple of occassions,with a good buzz a couple of times.I found that even being buzzed on alchohol I would loose my feel.But that is me.When I hit my thirties I found that even one beer would make me more tired than if I had none.I played a gig at a starbucks where they plyed us with multiple shots of expresso,we finished a 45 minute set in under 30 minutes.

spantney

I used to drink a hell of a lot from about the age of 16. I'm almost 22 now and last year I decided to pretty much give alcohol up. I still have the VERY occassional tipple (I've had 3 beers so far this year!). Not only have I lost a stone and a half in weight since I gave up alcohol, I actually feel a hell of a lot better health wise and my drumming is so much better now. My band has kind of a rule that we won't drink on the day of a gig although some of the other band members will have a drink after we've done our set and to be honest I think for me and my band thats the best formula for a sucessful performance.

On the other hand, a good friend of mine is in a band where the guitarist is quite notorious for drinking about a crate of beer before during and after the set and they are awesome live lol!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I played a gig at a starbucks where they plyed us with multiple shots of expresso,we finished a 45 minute set in under 30 minutes.
hahaha, right? There's a lot to be said for a guy who can hold tempos where they should be in spite of adrenalin, fatigue, excitement, boredom, alcohol, caffeine, rushing musicians, dragging musicians, etc. without a metronome. I would think it's akin to having perfect pitch... Perfect Tempo. Now there's a goal, right?

MisterMixelpix

Silver Member
I'm going to reiterate that some people in here are either "two beer queers" or lack the self control necessary to land somewhere between "stone sober" and "fall on your @$$ drunk".

At the bars I worked at, bands constantly got drinks from the crowd and only in one instance did it screw up the show at all.