Alcohol and playing

Ironcobra

Platinum Member
I don't care what anyone says, sipping on a beer while you play helps. Everything I play tends to flow a lot easier, and goes better with the music.

On the other side of the argument, that may simply be the alcohol talking.

M

Mediocrefunkybeat

I don't care what anyone says, sipping on a beer while you play helps. Everything I play tends to flow a lot easier, and goes better with the music.

It's the alcohol talking. Trust me.

m1ck

I drink a few at band practice and couldn't imagine it being any other way. One too many, however, and I get the same results everyone else has described: overconfident and sloppy playing. (Yes, that's the voice of experience.) But I FEEL like a rockstar!

"So I wash a little late with that fill. Wha's the hurry? Lesh play id again!"

Joe P

How about... water? gatorade? Alcohol dehydrates you. You need to be alert and hydrated if you want to perform well...
The only thing a beer could do is help you get over your nervousness and give you a little confidence, but it doesn't help your physical performance.

crdirtRider856

Silver Member
John Cable- you simply make too much sense. : ) Alcohol and playing drums just do NOT mix well....Not worth any bit of experimenting in any way....

J

jay norem

Well, I'm a drinker of beer at gigs, it's my drink of choice and I have yet to experience any problems concerning how it affects my playing.
But look, alcohol doesn't make you play better, but it sure as hell could make you play worse. How many times have I seen drunk musicians on the stand? Hopeless...
Some people just can't handle the stuff, and some people can. I don't know why, but I do know that you can never go wrong by staying sober.
I hate it when players get stoned and then come back on the set and now what? Are you guys paying attention? Plus they look all slitty-eyed and they act silly. Guy comes back up to play with his shirt tails hanging out, dropping sheet music on the floor.
A few beers over the course of a night, what's the big deal? But it's a slippery slope as they say. You gotta watch that stuff. If you don't it'll get to you...I've seen it happen to too many people.
Definitely, absolutely stay away from the hard stuff. That liquor will mess you up baby.

B

Big_Philly

It's the alcohol talking. Trust me.
Depends on how much beer he was sipping on... Alcohol is a relaxant and when you've only had one beer or so you should still be able to focus.

Leadfoot

I've been gigging for 33 years. I spent many of them drinking while playing, and a feew drinking waaaay too much while playing. One day someone showed me a video tape of our band, after that I quit drinking altogether before and while playing, I wish I'd done it sooner. Now I play much better, & don't feel like I've been hit by a truck the morning after the gig. I squeaked by the cops driving home from gigs for years (foolishly) now I don't even worry about it, I just have to be mindful of the other yo-yo's on the road at 3am.

M

Mediocrefunkybeat

Depends on how much beer he was sipping on... Alcohol is a relaxant and when you've only had one beer or so you should still be able to focus.
Well it's technically a depressant. Chemically, one beer probably wouldn't do anything at all other than produce a placebo effect of relaxation - I'd like to see what kind of studies there are out there. I know there are some with regards to driving.

Dystisis

2 or 3 is no problem. 5 or 6 is. Your results may vary.
In my experience, this is true. I like to stick to 2 and try and end it there. However, remember that you can drink big amounts and stay fairly aware as long as you spread it over a long time. Even just 3 beers can get most people drunk if they drink it fast enough.

Also... heavier stuff is not too good of an idea when playing. Even in a bandpractice, I wouldn't expect to get much done if you are hitting the heavy stuff (licour, spirits).

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Even just 3 beers can get most people drunk if they drink it fast enough.
Wow! I'm soooo glad I'm a lightweight. I'm pretty buzzed after 1 if I drink it fast on an empty stomach!

I find it hard to not drink much when I'm on tour. I find a semi-cute bartender and chat it up with her (it doesn't work with the hot ones). Pretty soon, I'm having free drinks shoved my way, whether I ask or not.

You can learn a lot on this forum, kids! Pay attention...

k3ng

Silver Member
The only thing I allow myself to drink during gigs is water. Even sweet stuff just makes my tongue feel funny and I don't like that feeling when playing.

It also helps me to enjoy the beer more after the gig. After you've drowned yourself in tasteless water, any beer just becomes instant magic.

Cheers.

mrchattr

Gold Member
The only thing I allow myself to drink during gigs is water. Even sweet stuff just makes my tongue feel funny and I don't like that feeling when playing.

It also helps me to enjoy the beer more after the gig. After you've drowned yourself in tasteless water, any beer just becomes instant magic.

Cheers.
Great. A waterholic. Guys, it's intervention time!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I usually go through a pitcher of water per show, maybe more. I like to grab a Mountain Dew or something between sets, but a lot of times, I don't even do that, or I can't finish it if I do get one (but you're right, the taste of water all night is icky). It's actually amazing that I can drink so much water in a show, because we try to not allow pauses between songs for more than a second, and I start a lot of 'em.

Mr. Pasquini

Gold Member
M O D E R A T I O N
That's short for "as much as you can" right?

I don't drink when I play especially out. I have a rule, anyone shows up to practice high, drunk, or otherwise intoxicated they get the hell beat out of them. Anyone shows up to a show with the above ailments, we're playing the set a man short.

I like to get my drink on but there's a time and a place. Performance is not the TIME and if that's when you do it, you can find a PLACE in another band.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
That's short for "as much as you can" right?

I don't drink when I play especially out. I have a rule, anyone shows up to practice high, drunk, or otherwise intoxicated they get the hell beat out of them. Anyone shows up to a show with the above ailments, we're playing the set a man short.

I like to get my drink on but there's a time and a place. Performance is not the TIME and if that's when you do it, you can find a PLACE in another band.
...well, as long as you let the members know BEFORE they join the group, then I guess that's a fair policy. There is 1 group I'm in where that is the policy (minus the mindless violence for an infraction), and we're all cool with that. The other groups know that getting stupid drunk isn't okay for the performance, but having drinks, even onstage, is fine.

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Good information here!

Also a reason for not drinking too much alcohol during a gig - may have been mentioned before - is what would happen if a really hot chick walks up to you, or even a simi-cute one, and wants to complement you on your fine drumming and wants to chat? You'd look pretty dumb if you were too stoned or drunk and couldn't carry on a conversation. A great opportunity may have just passed you by! Lol

In fact, that's how I got my first *real* girlfriend - playing drums in the hs drum line....

Mr. Pasquini

Gold Member
...well, as long as you let the members know BEFORE they join the group, then I guess that's a fair policy. There is 1 group I'm in where that is the policy (minus the mindless violence for an infraction), and we're all cool with that. The other groups know that getting stupid drunk isn't okay for the performance, but having drinks, even onstage, is fine.
Well if you wanna drink on stage, that's fine. I'm talking about effecting your performance. Drunk as in loss of function.

Geoff Tipps

Definitely, absolutely stay away from the hard stuff. That liquor will mess you up baby.
Also... heavier stuff is not too good of an idea when playing. Even in a bandpractice, I wouldn't expect to get much done if you are hitting the heavy stuff (licour, spirits).
Why not? It's delicious, you sip it not guzzle it, and you chase it with lots of water. AND... it makes you feel invincible!

Pavlos

I always have a couple before playing, but balance each beer with a water. And I don't guzzle them quickly. Someone mentioned one an hour. That's good advice. Of course it depends on the person too. Everyone has different reactions to alcohol. I just happen to have a high tolerance and weigh 200 lbs (more sometimes!). I also make sure I'm not drinking them on an empty stomach. Gotta get some carbs for the meal before playing.

I find a few help me get over the pre-gig jitters. The downside of course is trips to the can.

tomgrosset

Pioneer Member
It's true that alcohol can help you with your nerves but it actually helps to have some nerves, because it makes you play better and helps you concentrate. That's what I've noticed anyway. And you can't expect to avoid every the situation by having a drink, because there will be times when you can't so it's best to get use to being sober when it comes to performing.