advice on upgrading a mapex m birch snare drum

jspitza

Hello all!
Well, this snare, 14x5.5 birch 5 ply with one maple outer ply , 7.2mm shell has a beautiful tone but the throw off switch and rims are utter garbage. I was thinking about 2.3 flanged hoops and another upgraded strainer/ throw off. I have new Evans heads and Pure sound blaster snare wires. The thing is that right now, although the tone is nice, the snares are very " buzzy" and very hard to control. The shell is just gorgeous- Really. Also, there is no snare bed so maybe I just answered my own question. Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

bigiainw

Gold Member
Hello all!
Well, this snare, 14x5.5 birch 5 ply with one maple outer ply , 7.2mm shell has a beautiful tone but the throw off switch and rims are utter garbage. I was thinking about 2.3 flanged hoops and another upgraded strainer/ throw off. I have new Evans heads and Pure sound blaster snare wires. The thing is that right now, although the tone is nice, the snares are very " buzzy" and very hard to control. The shell is just gorgeous- Really. Also, there is no snare bed so maybe I just answered my own question. Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.
If it was me, I wouldn't spend money on that snare and buy a used snare from a higher line instead. perhaps a used Black Panther? By the time you replace the heads and hardware, you'l have spend about what you could get a decent used snare for.

Dodeska

If it was me, I wouldn't spend money on that snare and buy a used snare from a higher line instead. perhaps a used Black Panther? By the time you replace the heads and hardware, you'l have spend about what you could get a decent used snare for.
^This.
The M Birch are great kits but the snare is a dog. Don't bother with it & get yourself a BP.

jspitza

Yes, I know as I have a Mapex Orion snare. I added snare beds last night and it still produces the buzzing sound. Not another dime or minute is going into this. I'll see if I can donate it locally. I really support goodwill. Thanks for your time in reading this!

Razbo

Sometimes it's fun gilding turds lol. Your snare sounds like my MPX Maple. I got one used for cheap. Last weekend I was changing heads and decided to put one I was replacing on this snare. I also put on some Puresound Sound Blaster wires, and holy crap, what a firecracker!

I find, although not necessarily cost effective, upgrading or fixing up inexpensive gear is great way to learn the effect of the different elements that create the instrument. I did this with a lot of guitars. The downside is that - even with a very successful outcome - only I value these things; no one else would pay me what I've invested if went to sell them. But, they were great learning experiences.