Advice on powered sub

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
OK - round two!

I'm still in the mindset that I want to mic my drums up and play through a small PA just for me, so I can maintain a full drum sound without bashing them to death.

I experimented with a Seismic Audio powered sub only to find that product and company to be questionable.

So I want to try it again, but I have my eye on good name brands, namely, Yamaha, for one.

But the question is, I have two speakers (Peavey Pvi10) that are 2-way with a 10" woofer and horn to be my satellite speakers. Would a 12" sub be enough or should I go for a 15"? I've been programmed to think 15" is the magic number for producing adequate low end, but with speaker the technology the way it is these days, many people have been ravin' about the 12" sub - but I always figure these people aren't sticking a mic in a bass drum and expecting it to keep up.

I'm mainly looking at the Yamaha DXS12 and DXS15 powered subwoofers.

Do 12" subs work for drums?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
A 10" sub is a bit small for a bass drum on stage. I use a JBL 10" sub with my Fender Passport Pro 500 along with two Kustom 100 watt powered monitors for my home PA system for singers and keyboard to use at band practice.
The 10" sub is OK for that but it can't take a bass drum.
You should go with a 15"

drum4fun27302

Gold Member
I don't even think 15" is enough.
To me , sub=18".
With digital amps nowadays, an 18" powered sub isn't that heavy. So, I'd suggest go for 18 and be done with it :)

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Yea, an 18 is probably the way to go. A bass player friend just bought a really lightweight speaker cabinet. It is amazing how light speaker cabinets are today.

KamaK

Platinum Member
If you're willing to go with a separate power amp + cab, there're a number of elongated, but low profile, 15" PA subs on the market. These can fit under, or serve as the foundation of your drum riser.

As far as sizes go, you seem to be well aware that a good 15" is better than a cheap 18" and so on.

The Yamaha 15" seems like a good deal, and they're fairly honest about their specs (600w/950peak)... Unlike Mackie where the SRM-1850 "1600w" is really "500w/1000peak". I understand companies lying about power by telling the customer the peak instead of sustained, but sometimes even that is a complete fabrication.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'd go 15. This is for your house, right? 18's work for outdoors well. I would think it would be too much for a house. I'm guessing though and have no real life proof of that. If you are only using it for your house, I'd go 15. 18 is a serious sub. Do you really need all that? At the same time, if you're going to drop some dough, why half measure it with a 12? A 15 should give most satisfying bass without being overkill, plus be big enough to be able to use at a gig if necessary.

KamaK

Platinum Member
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/jbl-eon518s-500w-18-powered-subwoofer

Like this one. Not the best but plenty of power, internal crossover , and LIGHT!!!(65lbs). The yamaha equivalent is 90+ Lbs and no crossover.
Unfortunately, the EON is JBL's shit-series. Their good subs are the PRX series and are likely double the price. It's better to have a PRX 15" than a EON 18", with the added benefit that you won't burn your house down or pay repair-shipping twice.

drum4fun27302

Gold Member
Unfortunately, the EON is JBL's shit-series. Their good subs are the PRX series and are likely double the price. It's better to have a PRX 15" than a EON 18", with the added benefit that you won't burn your house down or pay repair-shipping twice.
Yeah , but it has good reviews and $700. And light.

New Tricks

Platinum Member
I'd go 15. This is for your house, right? 18's work for outdoors well. I would think it would be too much for a house. I'm guessing though and have no real life proof of that. If you are only using it for your house, I'd go 15. 18 is a serious sub. Do you really need all that? At the same time, if you're going to drop some dough, why half measure it with a 12? A 15 should give most satisfying bass without being overkill, plus be big enough to be able to use at a gig if necessary.
This.................^

T

The SunDog

Mackie HD-1501 or HD-1801. I own two of the 1801 subs with two SR-1501 cabs on top. All powered, built in crossovers, theyre just awesome. I've read a lot of good reviews about the 1501 as well. I think it will do what you need it too.

JBL PRX618XLF. Along with a PRX615 monitor stacked on top. Texas headphones for sure.
I hear everything and ALL the bottom end with fantastic quality.
Went through all of the 12" and 15" scenarios, and all the companies selling great sound for cheap. You get what you pay for. I paid ,and I love every rehearsal and gig without compromising the drum sound I hear. Buy once, cry once. Case closed.