Adding Small Toms Question

Ronzo

Hi All,
New to the site but been drumming for a cpl yrs.
I have a Pearl Target kit and want to add some smaller toms (6" and 8")
What is the best option for adding these?
Should I get a separate stand, some other kind of clamps or a set of roto toms?
You input is appreciated.

Ransan

Hi All,
Welcome to DW! You can look on eBay, reverb, etc... but I’m sure you already know for any brand they are rare. If your not concerned with finish you can find Pearl concert toms in those sizes from lone star percussion. Also Pearl makes acrylic shells called crystal beats that they still manufacture in those sizes. I would go with stands for versatility, unless you want to mount in auxiliary location, then clamps would be ok but limited in positioning. The roto toms are a cheaper option, and you get an extra rim “10, if you go that route they usually come with stands for around $150 or so. Good luck!

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Hi All,

I find smaller toms not as useful. They tend to be fairly one dimensional and don't fit well with other toms.

I've seen small toms work well in a jazz setting when tuned low with thin ambassador heads. They are essentially used like a regular 10 or 12 in tom, but with lower volumes.

I also like the sharp pitched Kapik in samba music, this is played both for signaling and virtuously for solos. Either with two flexible sticks, or with one stick and a hand. They have special low rims for rim shots and hand playing.

For me I would rather have a cowbell or wood block than a small tom.