Accidental break

Doom

Hi,

My kit was set up at the bands managers house a week ago when his fat drunken friend fell on the bass drum. There was no reso head on it at the time. So his knee broke the bottom of the shell.

The bass player and I were standing right next to him when it happened and both recall hearing a crack but he denies it, as does his wife who was also there at the time.

I have replaced the reso head onto the drum and tuned it up and it seems to be ok, except for the finish being cracked (at least its on the bottom of the drum thus almost invisible).

Getting it repaired would probably be expensive and replaced much more so.

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this? I don't think the guy is going to own up and offer to pay for it. I can hardly send the heavies round.

Thanks in advance

jonescrusher

Pioneer Member
Are you in a position to fire the manager over it? This is the kind of thing a manager should be good at sorting out. If he let's his friendship get in the way of working in your interests then he's an amateur.
Personally a position like that would piss me off to the extent of leaving, but that might not be reasonable in the situation. I'd certainly consider putting something nasty through fatso's letterbox ;)

sticksnstonesrus

Silver Member
Manager is responsible to you and your stuff. If he chooses to chase the fat guy who fell on your kit, that is his problem. He should replace the drum, no exceptions. That is, unless you feel comfortable and satisfied with a repaired drum...but I don't believe it would ever be the same and you'd have to wait for it to be repaired.

ahriman22

Wow, talk about irresponsible from your manager. The least he could do is acknowledge the fact that his "friend" broke it.

razorx

Platinum Member
I'd make him pay for that. You can't repair that. You have to get a whole new drum. Sorry. I tripped once while carrying my bass drum once and knocked the spur mount right off the side of the drum.

drummydude

If it happened in your managers house then he should be able to get it covered under his home owners insurance. Ask him what his deductible is. He won't be happy with that but oh well. You're out a bass drum. It doesn't matter if sounds fine. It's cracked. The bass drum was in his house and fat boy was his guest. That makes him responsible. Then he if wants, he can sue his buddy or ask him to pay it. Or you can try to go after the large drunk one in small claims court yourself. Either way you're entitled to some compensation and it sounds like everyone is just looking the other way. I feel really bad for you. Talk to your band and get their feelings about it before you make any waves with your manager. Good luck.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I would agree with him letting his homeowners insurance pay of it but his deductable is probably more than the cost of a new drum. But I would press the issue. Do you pay this manager>? If so take it out of his pay until its paid for. Also try searching eBay for a used replacement. You may find one cheaper than new and save him some money, but I would press it. Is this band manager the Dad of one of the players?

Doom

I don't blame the manager at all. It was my decision to leave my gear at his house, he didnt know that his "friend" would be so clumsy. He does feel very guilty about it.

Its hard to explain the use of the word "manager". I think he said himself that he is happy to be our "live manager". We don't pay him, and he doesnt want a cut of what we get paid. He is a friend of the bass player for years and of the singer/guitarist and I for a while. He's not a relation.

He has spoken to the friend who is denying it a couple of times. The guys wife is saying she has video footage and photos of the evening which proves he didnt do it (hahahahahahahahahaha, but seriously she said that). She is a bit of a nutter.

I'd like to see the pictures, as its possible the break post impact may be visible. I just worry that should I ask to see the pictures she may simply delete any such evidence.

edit: I got a quote from a custom builder here in England which is very very reasonable to cut the drum down and re drill and edge it. The drum is 20x20 so I don't have a problem as long as it doesnt go further than 20x16".

Last edited:

drummydude

I don't blame the manager at all. It was my decision to leave my gear at his house, he didnt know that his "friend" would be so clumsy. He does feel very guilty about it.

Its hard to explain the use of the word "manager". I think he said himself that he is happy to be our "live manager". We don't pay him, and he doesnt want a cut of what we get paid. He is a friend of the bass player for years and of the singer/guitarist and I for a while. He's not a relation.

He has spoken to the friend who is denying it a couple of times. The guys wife is saying she has video footage and photos of the evening which proves he didnt do it (hahahahahahahahahaha, but seriously she said that). She is a bit of a nutter.

I'd like to see the pictures, as its possible the break post impact may be visible. I just worry that should I ask to see the pictures she may simply delete any such evidence.

edit: I got a quote from a custom builder here in England which is very very reasonable to cut the drum down and re drill and edge it. The drum is 20x20 so I don't have a problem as long as it doesnt go further than 20x16".
You're a much better man than I Doom. Of course you're not blaming your manager. It was indeed an "accident". What if it happened in a bar during a bar fight? Is that your fault because you decided to play there? Of course not. And there's no blame to you for leaving it at someones house. In my opinion, fat boy is a "Nutter" to. (Sorry, I just had to find a way to use that word in a sentance. I like it!) Good luck on the repair.