A Useless Bit Of Trivia

Zickos

Gold Member
Recently I was listening to some pop music on the radio, which I almost never do, and I came across a song that I realized later is quite unique, so unique in fact that there probably aren't many others out there like it, if any. At least I can't think of any. This song is from the 70's and features a drummer but that is not what is different. Some of you young whipper snappers may not be able to remember that long ago but we old timers can. With these few clues, see if you can figure out the song and what sets it apart. If you have trouble I'll post more clues.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Let's see.......a song from the 70's that has a drummer playing on it?

Nup, that should be more than enough, Zicko's.....who could possibly need anymore info than that?? :)

gusty

Platinum Member
Recently I was listening to some pop music on the radio, which I almost never do, and I came across a song that I realized later is quite unique, so unique in fact that there probably aren't many others out there like it, if any. At least I can't think of any. This song is from the 70's and features a drummer but that is not what is different. Some of you young whipper snappers may not be able to remember that long ago but we old timers can. With these few clues, see if you can figure out the song and what sets it apart. If you have trouble I'll post more clues.
Actually if it was unique there would be absolutely nothing out there like it :p

Sorry haha. More clues needed I think.

A

audiotech

If it was in the seventies I probably played it on the air.

I still haven't a clue. Oh, I do know that it was released on either a 45 or 33 1/3 or both.

Do I win?

Dennis

A

audiotech

How about "In a-gadda-da-vida" (In the garden of eden) by Iron Butterfly. That features a drummer and was very popular. It has a fairly long drum solo and the long version was about 8 minutes long. I just don't believe anybody plays it any more. Nevermind, that was the late sixties, cool tune though.

We need more clues...

Dennis

gusty

Platinum Member
I had a listen to Radar Love and can't really see what's too different about it. Help me out here?

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Bohemian Rhapsody.

Pretty sure it's not Stairway to Heaven.

Doubt it's Imagine.

Psycho Killer? Doubt it.

Gusty, can you name a song that's anything like Radar Love? :)

barryabko

Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein". All instrumental, long song, features acoustic and electronic drums, call and response between drummer and percussionist, Edgar played the percussion parts, etc. Probably one of the few songs in the 1970s where the band leader is a percussionist or drummer.

Barry

gusty

Platinum Member
Bohemian Rhapsody.

Pretty sure it's not Stairway to Heaven.

Doubt it's Imagine.

Psycho Killer? Doubt it.

Gusty, can you name a song that's anything like Radar Love? :)
I guess not, but I don't really know a whole lot about that era haha. Is there something different about it that you can actually or is it just 'because'?

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein". All instrumental, long song, features acoustic and electronic drums, call and response between drummer and percussionist, Edgar played the percussion parts, etc. Probably one of the few songs in the 1970s where the band leader is a percussionist or drummer.

Barry
Another good call!

Nodiggie

Gold Member

Barry
I like this one too. 70's I've heard a good bit but memory is fading in my golden years. hehe

Pollyanna

Platinum Member

HenrikEckmann

I dare say that Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Pictures at an Exhibition (1971) is quite unique, even though it's actually a cover of Mussorgski.

If you don't know it, you should definately check it out, it's sick.. And LOOOONG.

Oh, and whoever mentioned Hocus Pocus by Focus. You've got excellent taste !