A sad day in Seminole Florida

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
My local ma and pa store, Seminole Music and Sound, will be closing its doors in December. Staffed by real musicians in every department, and managed by a drummer, I will miss this place. This is where I buy everything from sticks, to heads, to snares, my throne. This is where I have seen nearly 20 drum clinics by professional drummers, from Gregg Bissonette, John Blackwell, Dom Famularo, Stanton Moore, Derek Roddy, Mark Schulman, Johnny Rabb, on and on. They have been there for over 40 years and they do the local school instrument rentals, lessons on everything, and just a huge part of the community. The Mayor will go cry now.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen a number of videos you've posted over the years - looked like a great store. A loss to the local community indeed.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Dang, that's a bummer, John.

I actually have my family buy me gift certificates for the local small drum shop when they want to give me gifts. I have no intention of spending them and simply intend it to be a measure of support for the owner and shop. I'd be bummed if they didn't make it; so I can sympathize.

Especially when it's almost part of your daily routine... It will feel weird to adapt.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
This shop was 2 miles away, and now I am left with Sam Ash and Guitar Center which are about 15 miles away and just not part of the community.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
This shop was 2 miles away, and now I am left with Sam Ash and Guitar Center which are about 15 miles away and just not part of the community.
It's (almost) always sad when an independent shop closes. I don't inherently dislike the box stores, but I'm always disappointed that, for their buying power and size, they don't do better. Better selection, better prices, better employees. Except for a precious few 'destination' drum departments between them, they just don't step up.

My local indie shop - Pro Drum - is about 16 miles away, and I cheerfully drive there before visiting the GC and Sam Ash stores that are about 3 miles from me.

Bermuda

incrementalg

Gold Member
Man, that sucks to hear. I basically grew up hanging out and working in a store like that...it was there where I took lessons, bought all of my stuff and landed a job as a teen. Shops like that can have such a positive impact on a community and I know it's something my kids will likely never experience. (being 10 years old and getting schooled about some obscure blues guitarist by the staff is priceless!!)

Last edited:

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Sorry to hear that. I'm afraid it's a sign of the times.

I just learned the best auto mechanic I've ever had is closing his shop tomorrow.
For the last 20 years he's the only person I trusted to wrench on any of my vehicles. I'm in a state of mourning.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Sorry to hear that. I'm afraid it's a sign of the times.

I just learned the best auto mechanic I've ever had is closing his shop tomorrow.
For the last 20 years he's the only person I trusted to wrench on any of my vehicles. I'm in a state of mourning.
See if he will refer you even if it's further away. Good mechanics tend to know other good mechanics and usually won't push you to someone to get ripped off.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Sad to hear Johnny you find a place you like and trust-know all the staff-and, as you say, the whole community plugs in there. You chose to support them, which I applaud-I do the same, and it's tough to compete with Amazon and other music outlets. I've seen many try moving to another location to see if business would be better then eventually fold. The good ones repair musical instruments, teach musical instruments, a venue for bands and musicians to post wants and needs, and then sell musical instruments. Takes a lot of inventory and staff and for a tough market to compete. They are a disappearing breed like Blockbuster.

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Really sorry to hear this John. You've shared a lot of fantastic experiences of shopping and going to clinics there over the years. Seems a significant loss to the community, especially for younger, up-and-coming drummers. IMO, watching videos online is not nearly as rich and palpable as an in-person clinic experience, especially when it's an intimate setting.

My local ma and pa store, Seminole Music and Sound, will be closing its doors in December. Staffed by real musicians in every department, and managed by a drummer, I will miss this place. This is where I buy everything from sticks, to heads, to snares, my throne. This is where I have seen nearly 20 drum clinics by professional drummers, from Gregg Bissonette, John Blackwell, Dom Famularo, Stanton Moore, Derek Roddy, Mark Schulman, Johnny Rabb, on and on. They have been there for over 40 years and they do the local school instrument rentals, lessons on everything, and just a huge part of the community. The Mayor will go cry now.
We're all gonna miss it around here. Its a tragedy, especially for my close friends and bandmates that work there, (or did work there now), for many years, some taught there, and the owner who is just great all around. Sad day indeed, for the whole area.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Last edited:

AzHeat

Platinum Member
It’s the same everywhere. Big box stores move in with tons of buying power and stock nothing of value. The distributors decide the mom and pop shops need to commit to the same level as the box stores to get discounts and can’t. We walk in, play around all day wasting everyone’s time, then go to Amazon and buy whatever we saw for less. Every decent shop around me suffered the same fate.

Derek Roddy

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
I am so bummed about this......breaks my heart actually.

D