A Really Good Day!

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
Today I had one of those really good days working with one of my students; I've had some difficult times with this one in particular because he is very young and has at times had a lot of trouble paying attention. However, today, a lot of things just clicked for him. I gave him a test, 4 grooves that I notated with some fairly tricky 8th note combinations, some bass drum work under rock beats, including some stuff with the left foot on the high hat. He was able to read and understand all of the rhythms that I notated for him, and he sat down and was able to play them after a couple of tries. It was the best feeling to see that he not only understood the music, but also that he had been practicing what I was giving him to work with and was making progress. This gives me a vision for his future as a drummer, and also gives me a little bit of renewed confidence in my ability to get through to younger students.

Does anyone else teach younger students and have stories like this?

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Does anyone else teach younger students and have stories like this?
No, but I'm very happy that you've found some pride in your achivements. Great stuff!

BTW, sounds like your student's got his act together much better than I ever did, & look where I ended up, freakin' nowhere, lol!

Homeularis

Gold Member
I dont teach, but it sounds like a very positive win win for both of you.
If it hadent clicked with him, you might have lost faith in him to a degree, and so might he.

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
No, but I'm very happy that you've found some pride in your achivements. Great stuff!

BTW, sounds like your student's got his act together much better than I ever did, & look where I ended up, freakin' nowhere, lol!
Thanks Andy! And I don't know what you're talking about, you appear to be a successful drummer to me!

I dont teach, but it sounds like a very positive win win for both of you.
If it hadent clicked with him, you might have lost faith in him to a degree, and so might he.
Yes, its definitely a good thing! If it hadn't happened, then I would have just had to continue slugging away! The cool thing is that I think he's really starting to practice now!