A quick question on Toms and floor toms, opinions needed

zarrdoss

Gold Member
I am getting a new set of drums and it comes with 12 13 14 rack toms and a 16 floor tom. it is a discontinued finish and I cant find a 18" floor tom anywhere but did find a 14". Why would you want a 14 floor tom and a 14 rack tom? I realize it would be a deeper tone because of depth but really would there be much difference? BTW I am getting a 8 and 10 rack tom but just don't know about the floor tom.

Opinions? Thanks

keep it simple

Platinum Member
That's a lot of toms! Yes, you'll get a different vibe from the 14" floor tom, but a much bigger difference by adding the 18". Sort of depends on why you're adding more stuff.

zarrdoss

Gold Member
That's a lot of toms! Yes, you'll get a different vibe from the 14" floor tom, but a much bigger difference by adding the 18". Sort of depends on why you're adding more stuff.
Thank you! I know its alot, to me the most importand thing in drums is the shells, and I am anal and they have to look the same. Since its is discontined finish I want to get all I can now that match, I might not use all of them at one time but like to know theyre there. If I could find a 18 that mached it would be so mine.

I just dont know if I want to spring for the 14 floor tom as well.

JohnPloughman

Silver Member
The 14 floor tom could always go to the left side, over there with the 8-10-12. You wouldnt be the first one to do something like that.

S

sticks4drums

That's not a lot of toms. You can never have enough. :) Honestly if it was me I would just leave what you have. 16 is a great first position floor tom, and the second one probably won't get used enough to justify it's existence anyways. Unless you play in a Led Zeppelin tribute band. :) Second position floor toms are too far to the side and back to be easy to play. I would much rather reach forward than wear out my vertebrae reaching around all the time.

Netz Ausg

Silver Member
I am getting a new set of drums and it comes with 12 13 14 rack toms and a 16 floor tom. it is a discontinued finish and I cant find a 18" floor tom anywhere but did find a 14". Why would you want a 14 floor tom and a 14 rack tom? I realize it would be a deeper tone because of depth but really would there be much difference? BTW I am getting a 8 and 10 rack tom but just don't know about the floor tom.

Opinions? Thanks
I'd opt in for the 14 floor tom - it'll fit into your fills naturally and also fulfill the role of a FT - the RT will fit into sequential rolls but won't play the role of a FT.

Or - as stated above - have both!

Have you considered trying to get someone somewhere to match the wrap or do a matching paint job? Then you could source a HD 18 FT and get it to fit. That's what I'm doing with my Tama Rockstar in a discontinued finish.

diegobxr

Silver Member
Hi there man,

First of all.. I think no one can answer this but yourself.. It really is a matter of personal preference.

The 14" rack tom is what? 14"x11" I suppose? And the floor tom is 14"x14"? Yeah, they'll sound different.. but with a wise head selection and tuning, you can make one sound pretty much like the other, the difference in sound will be minimal in a band setting. (Trust me, no one in the audience will say "UGH that's awful! That fill should have been made with a 14" deep floor tom, you ·$%&/!") LOL.

I also don't like the look of two toms the same size.

But hey, if you can get a good deal and you want it, go for it!!

Personally I'd go 12/13 on top and 14" and 16" on the floor. (Just because that 14" you have now doesn't have legs, doesn't mean you can't place it as a floor tom!) :p

Cheers

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Personally I'd go 12/13 on top and 14" and 16" on the floor. (Just because that 14" you have now doesn't have legs, doesn't mean you can't place it as a floor tom!)
I agree. Putting the 14 down could open up room at the top for a 10 inch tom.

S

sticks4drums

Have you looked at how shallow that 14" tom is. Will not look right at all.

zarrdoss

Gold Member
Have you looked at how shallow that 14" tom is. Will not look right at all.
Your right, this is a Tama Superstar hyperdrive, dual bass deep 20 x 22 and the toms are shallow even with the stock heads on them I fell in love the first time I hit them and when I had the salesman hit them as I stood back I liked them even more. but the rack toms are shallow 8" on the 14 and don't know how it would fit in in place of a floor tom.
If money allows I will get the 14 floor tom as well and use it instead of the 14 rack or vise versa, its nice to have choices though, lol and keep an eye out for an 18 available in my finish which is vintage brushed blue.

I might list some stuff on the classifieds to raise funds.

Thanks for all your replies as usual there are a bunch of great guys on here with a wealth of information.

1008111414a.jpg

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Where did it say that these were shallow Hyperdrive toms that we were talking about?
I think that I missed something somewhere along the line.

zarrdoss

Gold Member
Where did it say that these were shallow Hyperdrive toms that we were talking about?
You didn't miss anything, I did, lol. I didn't mention it in this thread but did in another one about the Tama Superstar Hyper Drive.

Sorry for the confusion.

Bertram

Silver Member
If the 18'' tom were impossible to get, i'd tune the 16'' really low, and the 14'' FT lower than the 14'' rack.. :)

diegobxr

Silver Member
Exactly!

You didn't miss anything, I did, lol. I didn't mention it in this thread but did in another one about the Tama Superstar Hyper Drive.

Sorry for the confusion.
Now it's a whole different story!!! I was thinking about a regular 14" rack tom.. which is usually 11" deep.

Now looking at those sizes.. yeah.. I think you could use a 14"x14" floor tom. It would be pretty different.

Cheers!

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Exactly!

Now it's a whole different story!!! I was thinking about a regular 14" rack tom.. which is usually 11" deep.

Now looking at those sizes.. yeah.. I think you could use a 14"x14" floor tom. It would be pretty different.

Cheers!
I hear bye +1 that.
------------------------

zarrdoss

Gold Member
Well unless something turns up used I won't be adding anything to this kit, everything is custom order and Tama is not carrying that finish anymore. So if anyone has anything I don't have for Tama superstar hyperdrive in brushed vintage blue that they want to sell send me a pm. I am still looking at drum wraps but not a priority at this point just getting the drums out of layaway. I do have a set of rototoms that should blend in nicely with this set.
I called the salesman at the music store to double check on tom sizes and he said they messed up on the pricing and it was 250 less than it should have been but since its on lay away its a done deal.

So thanks again for your replies and advise!

zarrdoss

Gold Member
Well I got them and have them partially set up, I got them tuned with stock heads and I am not missing the second floor tom at all right now, These things sound amazing. I threw some pillows in the kicks and tuned them and they have some boom. I would like to get Evans Emad's for the kicks but cant afford it right now so contemplating Remo foam rings with the trays instead of pillows but still thinking about it. The stock heads are OK but want to replace them with Evans G2 clear ASAP. These are some phenomenal drums and the price I got them for was a steal. I will spend tonight setting up the rest. I have them set up right now with my Tama Metalworks 6.5x14 snare and it sounds real good together, the Black Magic 8x14 sounds good with it too and the nickel in both match real good with the nickel hard wear on the Hyperdrive.

IMG_0443.JPG

zarrdoss

Gold Member
Ta da! boy think its time I dusted. I am sure many more adjustments will be made before I am happy with it but for now I am quite ecstatic!

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG