A Question Out Of Curiosity.

GTM1

Hey I was watching some live videos of drummers and I see them hitting the holy crap out of everything. I was wondering how do these professionals who have been at it for years play every night like that and not have wrist pain or problems. Is there some type of technique or what? Anyways I thought i'd ask here out of curiosity.

A

Anthony Amodeo

some of them do have tendon, nerve, or joint problems

David Silveria comes to mind

but even the ones who dont stay conditioned , do heavy warm ups, cool downs, and stretch regularly

there are techniques to keep you from damage and lots of these guys take care of themselves more than they lead on

topgun2021

Gold Member
I have also heard of drummers going to/bringing massage therapists while on tour.

I believe Mike Portnoy said he did that.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
some of them do have tendon, nerve, or joint problems

David Silveria comes to mind

but even the ones who dont stay conditioned , do heavy warm ups, cool downs, and stretch regularly

there are techniques to keep you from damage and lots of these guys take care of themselves more than they lead on
^ This.

Some do have problems, some don't. Some players I think are just built different inside and can get away with it.

There is a physical therapist in Southern California that a lot of name guys go see.

A lot of heavier hitters take supplements, do a lot of conditioning, warms ups, and work out a lot. And yes, guys in big name bands might have a massage therapists at venues. Pantera apparently had a roadie who was also a chiropractor. In some older Metallica "behind the scenes" videos, Lars' roadie applies heat rub all over his arms before the show.

Some guys don't away with it and end up having surgery later.

patrice

Even Mr. Thomas Lang had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
Apparently he kept on playing through the pain for a few years.
He had surgery last year.

Hitting kind of hard is sometimes required.
But if it's just to compete with amplified instruments, it's silly. If only volume is the issue: amplify your set. (We used to have a great guitarist [not!] in one of our bands, who refused to acknowledge that he might hear the drums better if 1. he turned his amp down, and 2. he didn't stand directly in front of his amp. Or if 3. we got some mics and a mixer to put me through the PA.)

Patrice

dtrushr30dw

They do it just for show. My instructor told me that I need to stop hitting so hard all the time like mike portnoy does or any other big drummer like him, and start really going for dynamics which many of the hard hitters have and some of them haven't got the dynamics. Many of these famous drummers do have issues due to playing so much, but somethings can be avoided by playing with different techniques and dynamics. hope that helps answer your question.

AndyMC

Personally I know that in my playing how hard I hit and how loud it is aren't very connected, technique gets you volume not strength, but when I play live shows I sometimes play with exaggerated motions that make it look like I'm hitting harder but you just slow down the stick and keep the same control you would hitting normally. Most people can't tell jack about how good you are unless you give them something big like that to catch on to. But then there are the guys who got famous before they got good and never learned the tricks and try to play like that all the time, bad news bears. Time for their surgeon to get a new vacation house. Never play with pain or tension there is no acceptable amount, if you find some remove its cause asap.