A new idea? Probably not.

M

Matt Bo Eder

So from my last thread about doing the Abe Laboriel, Jr. thing using the outrigger slave of a double pedal as my primary and moving the bass drum away from me - you guys have given me a lot to think about. While I'm in a holding pattern trying to decide what I'd like to do (the height thing doesn't really bug me as I've been playing drums in the normal position for all of my life now), I've once again re-thought how I play.

At first it was the 17" inch hi-hat coupled with my 22" Light Ride, and that's all I've been using. Tonight, I did a rehearsal and decided to leave the one rack tom home. I went in with my bass drum, floor tom, and snare drum. And the hats and ride.

I loved it.

Of course, many will think I was crazy because after all, how are you supposed to get your inner-Bonham out or do those crazy Carlock licks? Well, to be honest, the music didn't require anything besides great time and groove, and if I did do fills or a short solo, nobody seemed to notice the lack of the high tom. I'm not bragging or anything, but perhaps I use enough smoke-and-mirrors to distract the musicians.

It was sort of liberating too: one less tom, one less snare stand. I could put the music stand in front of me in a comfortable position. I could concentrate more on my time. And without the rack tom, I could drop the snare, hi-hat, and floor tom down to levels even more comfortable because I'm no longer thinking in terms of going from snare drum to high tom. That option just isn't there.

Years ago I met a guy who was playing for an Eagles tribute band (I was mixing them at Disneyland) and he said if he had his way, he'd just use three drums. Then when he did his best Don Henley, the audience could see him. But the band said no and had him with the whole kit. I finally committed to trying it tonight and it worked out.

I may not need to use the double pedal as an outrigger. I'll just stop using the rack tom ;)

I'll let you know how long this lasts. I'm sure the people I play with will begin to notice and want to see a complete set sooner than later. But if my time gets even better, maybe this is where I'll stay for a while.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I'll give it a month! ;)

Seriously Bo, if this will suit anyone, it will suit you. I used this setup in the dim & distant past, but only for a certain act. it worked really well & helped keep my playing snare centric.

If nothing else, it may shut your trap for a while on your concert tom yearning! ;) ;) ;)

M

Matt Bo Eder

If nothing else, it may shut your trap for a while on your concert tom yearning! ;) ;) ;)
NEVER!

I'm re-building this beat-up old Yamaha bass drum, and was thinking about adding some found concert toms to it.....

keep it simple

Platinum Member
NEVER!

I'm re-building this beat-up old Yamaha bass drum, and was thinking about adding some found concert toms to it.....
Excellent! Be sure not to forget the 13.5 tog duvet stuffed in the bass drum, black dots on everything, & remember to tell everyone how your concert toms sound just as full as a double headed tom, plus how you still sound like you ;) ;) ;)

Liebe zeit

Silver Member
Snare, floor tom, bass is my primary setup right now. But that's for a Stax-type soul band and it is all I need.

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
There's a photo of Philly Joe Jones taken in the studio during the recording of Miles Davis's Milestones album. Philly is using a snare, bass, floor tom, hi-hat, ride cymbal. No small tom, no other ride/crash cymbals.

I was amazed by that, and didn't believe what I was seeing. But, after listening closely to Philly on Milestones - that's the drumset he used. The small tom? Other cymbals? I don't miss them. I suspect no other listeners do either.

This isn't the photo I have in mind, but it's a photo taken at the same time, same session.

Best,
skf

no talent

I'll give it a month! ;)

the dim & distant past,
;) ;)
Sadly, that was just three beers ago!

Bo the swing band I just joined used to have a drummer who played one floor tom, no rack tom. he had the ride cymbal coming out of the center of the bass drum where the rack tom was. tight set up.

I put this kit together just for this band. ( im going to wrap the "bass" drum in silver sparkle to match. 18inch bass, 10 inch rack and 15 inch floor. The floor is a converted rack tom from my Ludwig octo plus kit. Im really digging the small kit and I might drop the rack tom, I don't like the run from 10 straight to 15.

I took the bear out and added laundry, Andy should like that!
No Kickport.....yet....

Attachments

wildbill

Platinum Member
You probably can drop the floor tom and ride cymbal too.

If you picked the right 17" hats, you probably can get a useable ride ride sound with them open.
Bass and snare are enough for the 2 and 4 thang.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I couldn't do it, Bo. I need that hi tom for my pseudo-Latin rhythms and my pseudo-reggae rhythms. I might do that if I'm just practicing at home doing some rhythm patterns, etc. But, I never practice at home. I am afraid of neighbors complaining.

M

Matt Bo Eder

You probably can drop the floor tom and ride cymbal too.

If you picked the right 17" hats, you probably can get a useable ride ride sound with them open.
Bass and snare are enough for the 2 and 4 thang.
Well, dropping the floor tom mew t I couldn't do the Al Jackson back beat - I theres a few spots that was required.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Inspired by my drum teacher I recently ditched the floor tom and have been playing my church gig with just kick, snare and a 13" rack tom. Works wonderfully. For my rockabilly band I play gigs with just snare, kick and a single floor tom. Again, works wonderfully. I take up less space on stage and setup is just that much faster. Its my poor man's Ludwig New Yorker setup. Dig this catalog scan from 59' courtesy of Vintage drum guide

M

Matt Bo Eder

Which one?

some more characters
The stock double stop where your backbeat is played on both snare drum and floor tom.

So having broken the kit down to just essentially what I need, I will now join a Rush tribute band and use my new set-up there ;)

Beam Me Up Scotty

Silver Member
I did this recently with my classic rock band, at a gig with little to no room for the band. Loved it. It definitely kept me on my snare a lot more, and also made me think on the fly (it was a spur of the moment decision), so rethinking my fills while playing was actually quite fun. Not a setup I'd keep, but definitely fun used here and there.

oriollo

I'm going to try something along these lines. Not only minimize the kit, but also decrease its footprint.
Gonna use cast aluminum shells:
13x8 to act as the floor tom.
And 16x13 to act as the kick.

If that doesn't work - will just add a kick drum and use 13 as the rack tom and 16 as the floor tom ...