A Little Muffling Goes A Long Way

G

Ghostnote

While rooting through a ziploc bag filled with moongel and window sticky's, I found this little sliver. I layed it flat on my snare batter, but when I struck the drum, the vibration of the head made it flip up and it stuck there, hanging on only by the edge. Well, it stays there like that while I'm playing and it works perfectly. It only sucks out the one annoying frequency that I was looking to get rid of and leaves the tone and sustain of the drum otherwise untouched.

Attachments

mike d

Silver Member
That's funny! I was experimenting with a drum dot tonight on my Tama Dynamic Bronze. One full dot as close as i could get to the edge was still a little much. I didn't bother cutting the dot because I have a dryer Evans Hybrid head on the way. So for now, it's a little over damped, but it reinforces your topic statement. ;)

Woolwich

Silver Member
Astonishing!

Two Gel stories from me.
A couple of years back my band was filming a live studio video for publicity purposes and the sound engineer noticed a boominess on the bass drum that we needed to address. Rather than try to tune it out I attached a blob of Wincent Tone Gel (like Moon Gel but an inch long oval shape) to the resonant head of the bass drum. Job done it couldn't have been simpler, the Gel didn't look as lost on the front head as your sliver of Moon Gel but it wasn't far behind.

I recently bought two packs of this for less than the price of one pot of Moon Gel. It works just as well but the varied sizes make experimentation easier, plus it always puts as mile on my face. Also available as flowers, clouds, hearts and Christmas shapes.

Attachments

G

Ghostnote

I'm amazed that it stays there like that and that such a small piece works as well as it does. Sort of the same as making a fin out of a piece of gaff tape where the majority of the muffler vibrates above the head and not much of it is actually touching the head.

I'm going to make a couple more of these. The edges of all the pieces of moongel and window sticky's are rounded though, so I'll have to cut the slivers using an exacto knife and a straight edge so I end up with a clean, flat edge on one side that will stick to the head well.

Hewitt2

While rooting through a ziploc bag filled with moongel and window sticky's, I found this little sliver. I layed it flat on my snare batter, but when I struck the drum, the vibration of the head made it flip up and it stuck there, hanging on only by the edge. Well, it stays there like that while I'm playing and it works perfectly. It only sucks out the one annoying frequency that I was looking to get rid of and leaves the tone and sustain of the drum otherwise untouched.
Those are some beastly looking hats. 16" crash! Wow - is that a 2002 Paiste? What's it sitting on top of?

You might need to put a big of moongel on those bad boys! :)

Hewitt2

Those are some beastly looking hats. 16" crash! Wow - is that a 2002 Paiste? What's it sitting on top of?

You might need to put a smidge of moongel on those bad boys! :)

Red Menace

Platinum Member

16" hats are the cat's pajamas! If you go with a thicker pair then you can still have a nice defined "chick" sound plus an extra thing to crash on. That Disco beat, with the open and closing hats on the down beat just sounds glorious with a big set of hats.

Love that finish on those drums too. Very classy.

G

Ghostnote

Those are my "small" hats, lol. They are a 16" Twenty Thin Crash over 16" Twenty Med Light Hat Bottom. The whole "Medium Light Hat" thing is a bit of a misnomer, as there is nothing particularly light about them. They are basically like a pair of 14" HH Medium Hats that got scaled up to 16". I usually use the Thin Crash on top because it's lower pitched than the Medium Light Hat top. And yes, I usually put a piece of moongel on the bottom cymbal to subdue it a bit and take bit of highs out.

G

Ghostnote

16" hats are the cat's pajamas! If you go with a thicker pair then you can still have a nice defined "chick" sound plus an extra thing to crash on. That Disco beat, with the open and closing hats on the down beat just sounds glorious with a big set of hats.

Love that finish on those drums too. Very classy.
Agreed. I once spent an entire weekend playing along to Jive Talkin', Night Fever, and Stayin' Alive over and over again, lol. Big hats are the bomb for groove playing. I usually play 17's, and sometimes even 18's, but I hadn't played the 16's for a long time, so I threw them up for a change. Liking them a lot.

BTW- the wrap is Pewter Glass Glitter. It's a real chameleon depending on the light. In that picture it looks like B20 bronze. In most light it looks like a pale ginger ale sort of colour, and in certain light it almost looks pale green.