A Legend You May Not Have Heard (Luke Flowers from the Cinematic Orchestra)

Crag Hack

Ok ok, so I bump.

I recently went to see Cinematic Orchestra after having been an avid listener of their music for 3 years. Luke Flowers was jaw-dropping-down-and-not-coming-back good.
I wrote a review for the gig on my myspace, if anyone is interested.

The question I have is for CO fans, Luke Flowers lovers,drummers and coinesseurs; is about their song "Durian". (First Album - MOTION)

The funk drop at the coda section of the piece; is that in 7/8 and does anybody know how to notate it or explain it?

I would be very grateful. Thank you
It's not in 7/8, it's in 4/4 but what makes it confusing is the so called beat displacement. He opens the hi-hat where you would expect him to play the snare drum. Imagine one measure of the most basic rock beat, eighth notes on hi-hat, snare on 2 and 4. In the second half of the measure (on the 6th note on hi-hat) you open the hi-hat instead hitting the snare, and the snare goes to the last beat in measure. Then you apply that concept to Luke's beat in Durian. I'll try to notate this part of his beat as soon as I have time.

I hope I got this right and would be grateful if someone corrected me if I made a mistake. Also, thanks for reminding me of this song, I really like it. Someone before mentioned Flite. That's definitely the song which influenced the most my playing, it's simply breathtaking.

All the best!

Davo-London

Gold Member
I've known of CO for a few years. Both the bassist and drummer are excellent. Put them together and well it's musical nirvana.

Great band and musicians for sure.

Davo

ZenDrums

Luke Flowers (Cinematic Orchestra) & Pat Garvey (Head of Drums BIMM Brighton/Producer) Drum Clinic
30th May - Sallis Benney Theatre, Grand Parade, Brighton
Doors Open 6.30pm

UPDATE
"New Just in! Soultone Cymbals England will be kindly Donating A Vintage Old School Cymbal which was used by Luke Flowers on his last Corinne Bailey Rae Tour!
Get Your Tickets and Come Along to see Two of the most amazing Drummers and have a chance to Win Many More Great Prizes from Sabian Percussion, Protection Racket, Vater and More!"​

Luke Flowers & Pat Garvey are among the most creative and influential drummers in the UK today. Presenting you with an evening of drum masterclasses, areas looked at will include amongst other things, technique, sound, creativity, soloing, musicianship, communication and what it takes to become a professional musician.

Luke Flowers, drummer of The Cinematic Orchestra, is one of the most respected drummers in the UK and is touring regularly worldwide. He has taken time out of his busy schedule to come and show you the tricks of the trade.

Pat has been a professional drummer since he was 17 years old. As a busy freelance musician he's played on over 300 released recordings, enjoyed sessions at some of the UK's biggest recording studios, played 1000’s of gigs all over the world, has numerous TV credits and has signed major and independent recording and publishing agreements.

Passionate about education and inspiring people to take up the drums and get into music, Pat is also Head of Drums at BIMM Brighton and is a monthly contributor to the video Tech Sessions at www.idrummag.com

Follow The Event On : https://www.facebook.com/ZenDrumsClinic

Tickets :
http://www.tikidrums.com/

GAK(Drum Cavern) - Brighton 78-81 North Road - Tel: 01273 665 400

Or contact Zenon at zendrums@hotmail.com / 07907328916

huXler

Hey I've just finished the transcription of Child Song. Wonderful song, and really tasteful drumming. Not 100% correct, as it's very difficult to hear every ghost note, but I hope it's close!

Attachments

Last edited:

Chonson

Flowers is a monster. Great player. Criminally underrated and way under the radar.

I've enjoyed his playing with Cinematic Orchestra for years. My two favorite tracks are Flite from the Albert Hall live album, and All Things To All Men on Every Day - just a great groove.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Huxlier, thanks for opening this up again. Yep, great band. I didn't realise what a hotshot their drummer was because he played simply and tastefully in the other CO tracks I've heard.

huXler

Got to do a revival of this thread, as I just discovered The Cinematic Orchestra and Luke Flowers. The first time I heard them, I was really blown away. I just love Luke Flower's drumming, just so tasteful and smooth!

Gothmog

He is one of the greatest drummers who are unfortunately under-rated.
Every drummer should listen to his 7/8 modern-jazz groove in the "Flite" (Album: Every Day) to have a little taste of his incredible music . His drumming on that track is phenomenal.

caldrums

The guy is immense!

Life changing in my opinion I saw the Cinematics live in manchester.

Definatly reccomend Luke Flowers to everyone

Best drummer in the world at the moment..

khanedeliac

Ok ok, so I bump.

I recently went to see Cinematic Orchestra after having been an avid listener of their music for 3 years. Luke Flowers was jaw-dropping-down-and-not-coming-back good.
I wrote a review for the gig on my myspace, if anyone is interested.

The question I have is for CO fans, Luke Flowers lovers,drummers and coinesseurs; is about their song "Durian". (First Album - MOTION)

The funk drop at the coda section of the piece; is that in 7/8 and does anybody know how to notate it or explain it?

I would be very grateful. Thank you

incurve

ahhh yes... luke flowers. seen cinematic several times now. last show at bimbos 365 in SF was excellent. wonderful musician!

check out ninja tune for some other interesting acts.

Latin Groover

Pioneer Member
Re: A Legend You May Not Have Heard..

Wow i love his ride cymbal. Do you know what it is? Thats some great playing, put him on the wishlist for sure.