A great girl band, Cee Lo performs FU live.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Guys & Girls. Before you click this link, this is the bad language version of Cee-Lo's great song F U. Reason for posting, such a great all girl band with a drummer who really cuts a superb groove. Nothing fancy, just bloody good stuff. In these days of putting good looking chicks up on instruments just for visual candy, these honeys are a great band right there. I just love the whole vibe!

This clip is taken from the Jules Holland show on BBC TV. Unlike most music shows today, Jules's show is all live playing, non of that miming or singing to backing crap. BTW, this Friday night's show features all great bands, including Stele Miller, and every drummer's a gem. Catch this show if you can. BBC performance link, while it's still live http://www.bbc.co.uk/later/

Direct Youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17eSUnQ-_ek

Paul Quin

Pioneer Member
Thanks for posting - I love this tune and this is a great performance. I guarantee, however that there is a backing vocal track! I have no problem with that, but it is there!

Paul

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Thanks for posting - I love this tune and this is a great performance. I guarantee, however that there is a backing vocal track! I have no problem with that, but it is there!

Paul
Yup, you caught that just right. Although the keys player is doing some real BV's, there's clearly a vocal backing track going on. To be frank, that's unusual on the JH show, but I agree, a great performance irrespective of the BV assistance. Rest seems live though. I just love the drummer (in so many ways). Does anyone know who she is?

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Yeah, the drummer plays has a good groove and plays with great energy and passion. And the vocalist is superb - classic Motown approach.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Yeah, the drummer plays has a good groove and plays with great energy and passion. And the vocalist is superb - classic Motown approach.
Yeah, cheers Pol. The more I listen to this, the greater the performance is IMO. It's a masterclass in vibe, performance, arrangement & attitude. I love that drummer! She's so on the money, & playing for her life behind that kit. Very sexy too, I might add. I even love Cee-lo's pink suit. For a big guy, that suit really gives him a classy presence, & what a voice too. It's rare for me to pick up on a new act that pushes my buttons. This absolutely does it for me. There's just one thing missing to make it perfect, a kick ass brass section.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
How true, Andy. They have a ton of vibe.

The drummer really monsters the beat - she's so on top I kept expecting her to speed up (but she had to stay with the backup vocs / conga / click :). Really impressive to play with a click with such a sense of excitement. Google tells me that the band is called Scarlet Fever.

Agree, a brass section would give us the full Motown experience. Love to be able to talk Glenn into covering that number, tho I expect I'd have two chances of doing that ;)

keep it simple

Platinum Member
. Love to be able to talk Glenn into covering that number, tho I expect I'd have two chances of doing that ;)
Pol, try Genn on this radio edit version (read, US consumption). Much more tame, but isn't that the problem here? This was recorded on the same show because of early evening censorship (I'ts ok here to say pretty much anything on tv after 10PM, but not before). Notice how the whole act tones down. The urgency is missing. The change of lyric somehow acts as the catylist for all the players to back off just a bit. Notice the drum pattern has much less embelishment on this version. Funny huh! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxN1Fv-pu-E

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Yeah, I prefer the unedited version tho the drums are still cookin' IMO. Amazing how the change of one word makes such a massive difference to the vibe.

Would rather talk Glenn into doing the real thing ... I just emailed the link around to the band - just a heading, "A possible cover?", and the email body is just the link with a smiley ... looking forward to the response :)

thedrumninja

Thanks for posting - I watched Jools on TV the other night and really enjoyed
it. Janelle Monae was also pretty awesome... she's a feisty wee thing!! ;-)

Pol, will you convince the band to wear pink outfits as well??

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
And there is no percussionist, is there?
As soon as I know there is a backing track, I can't be sure what really is played live and how much of what I hear really is a recording. That's a sad thing.

Malti

I think the drummer is Taylor "Pocket Queen" Gordon. If someone could confirm or deny this, please do so.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I think the drummer is Taylor "Pocket Queen" Gordon. If someone could confirm or deny this, please do so.
Cheers Malti. I just looked up a few of her Youtube videos, a bit difficult to tell really. Would be great if someone could confirm who this wonderful drummer is, I just love her groove & performance.

Homeularis

Gold Member
Cee Lo is the s_ _t. I have always dug him, and the girl band is very cool.
I wonder if "Gnarls Barkley" is still together?.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Question: if there are indeed backing vocals going on during this song, what else could be on that backing track to hold the band together?

Love the tune and the drumming, but man, I can't understand a word that guy is saying other than the F U part. Did I also hear a reference to x-boxes and ataris in there? Man, you know you're getting old when they talk about video game consoles in songs....my generation does not relate to that stuff....