A good entry-level kit

XG65

I'm basically a total noob at drumming (I've started only 5-6 months ago). After months of using practice pads, I think it's time to use the real thing.

Any of you guys know a good 5/6-piece kit within a $400 - $600 price range? I don't mind which company is it from. Also, is it good to go with a cymbal pack as my first cymbals? (I'm on a really short budget; I only have $1000).

I'll really appreciate any kind of suggestions and feedback. :)

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I like yamaha stage customs, you might find a used one with some decent cymbals. Depends where you are.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I'm basically a total noob at drumming (I've started only 5-6 months ago). After months of using practice pads, I think it's time to use the real thing.

Any of you guys know a good 5/6-piece kit within a $400 - $600 price range? I don't mind which company is it from. Also, is it good to go with a cymbal pack as my first cymbals? (I'm on a really short budget; I only have $1000).

I'll really appreciate any kind of suggestions and feedback. :)
I'd shop around for something used in the $200-300 range myself. And spend the rest on decent cymbals (Zildjian A's or Sabian AA's at least) because those are what you'll be playing the most and you can't improve on their sound - so don't believe anybody who says it's not important to have good cymbals - it is. You'll hate anything less than what you hear on the radio. Trust me.

XG65

I'd shop around for something used in the $200-300 range myself. And spend the rest on decent cymbals (Zildjian A's or Sabian AA's at least) because those are what you'll be playing the most and you can't improve on their sound - so don't believe anybody who says it's not important to have good cymbals - it is. You'll hate anything less than what you hear on the radio. Trust me.
Thanks for your suggestions... You know any decently priced kits?

XG65

I like yamaha stage customs, you might find a used one with some decent cymbals. Depends where you are.
Well, here in Malaysia, it's kind of hard to do that. But there are a couple of Yamaha stores in my area...

JustJames

Platinum Member
For Malaysia-specific info, I think user BabyBob is also in KL. You could try sending her a PM, if she doesn't spot this thread first.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Thanks for your suggestions... You know any decently priced kits?
Well, here in the states I often see people selling older Tama Rockstars or Pearl Exports for $250-$350, and that would be for all five drums including the snare. Add another $100 for some cheap hardware, $100 for a good, solid throne, and spend the rest on cymbals - hi-hats, crash and a ride is about all you need. Yamaha Stage Customs might cost a bit more, but not always. I'm just saying selling for anything in the drum department, because with new heads and proper tuning, they will sound good. Do not skimp on the cymbals, because you're stuck with whatever they sound like - so get sounds you're used to hearing on your favorite songs, hence why I strongly suggest Zildjian A's (not A Custom, although those are good too) and Sabian AA's.

StaggerLee

Silver Member
I would say get yourself a catalina club jazz kit, a set of dream or istanbul mehmet cymbals (pro cymbals, better sound, lot lower price) and then some nice hardware/snare.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Is $330 enough for it?
Possibly, if you find the right deals. The best I can tell you from my experience is if that is your budget, then I would look into getting some used XS20 Sabian cymbals. Hi-hats, a 20" medium ride and a 16" crash are all you need to get started. Even B8 Pro hi hats or ride would suffice if you can find them in the Pro line. Keep the crash XS20 or better, but that's just my opinion because for the most part, Sabian is all I've played for the last 20 years or so. I have AAX crashes now, but I've kept the same Pro hi-hats and ride since 1998. I've just recently purchased new XS20 hihats for $200, but used ones would be much less. I had to spread the payments out, so I bought them new with 4 monthly payments. I halfway own them now!

Anyway, good luck out there...